• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

35 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Covid is going to be around for a nearly decade. It's not going to magically disppear. 

I think it's here to stay, another strain making the rounds annually during the overarching "cold and flu" season. We have a flu vaccine and while it helps, we're obviously not particularly close to eradicating influenza from the natural reservoir.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I think it's here to stay, another strain making the rounds annually during the overarching "cold and flu" season. We have a flu vaccine and while it helps, we're obviously not particularly close to eradicating influenza from the natural reservoir.

I read recently in a medical journal that a study was done in Houston and the evolving strain in that city. They are confident that the corona virus will be seasonal like the flu and will require a yearly vaccine just like the flu. I agree with B-dub...we will be wearing masks or people will be for the foreseeable future, whether mandated or not.

1 minute ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I read recently in a medical journal that a study was done in Houston and the evolving strain in that city. They are confident that the corona virus will be seasonal like the flu and will require a yearly vaccine just like the flu. I agree with B-dub...we will be wearing masks or people will be for the foreseeable future, whether mandated or not.

Yup, we're on the same page. Hopefully increased mindfulness to hygiene and distancing during virus season will keep flu deaths down as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Who ever laughs at this is an asshole

I mean he just made fun of Biden for wearing a mask....

11 days ago he said "Coronavirus affects virtually nobody"

I mean you have to find a little bit of humor and irony when someone is that ****ing stupid.....I don't want him to die.  But you reap what you sow....

• Like 3

How is upstate NY doing considering you guys are our closest neighbor? Corona cases have been steadily rising here since late August. 732 cases today which is the highest daily count since this pandemic began. No real progression towards a second lockdown yet, however back in the summer they made masks mandatory in all indoor settings. As of now the border remains closed for all non-essential travel. 

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

I mean he just made fun of Biden for wearing a mask....

11 days ago he said "Coronavirus affects virtually nobody"

I mean you have to find a little bit of humor and irony when someone is that ****ing stupid.....I don't want him to die.  But you reap what you sow....

Karma is a bitch

No one should make fun of anyone

The next five to 10 days will be critical for President Donald Trump after his positive test for Covid-19. Doctors warn the illness can suddenly worsen after several days of relatively mild symptoms.

That's particularly true for patients with two of the biggest risk factors for serious and even life-threatening complications of the disease: obesity and older age. At 74 and with a body mass index of 30.5, qualifying him as obese, Trump fits both criteria.

"I'm worried," Dr. Vin Gupta, a pulmonologist and an affiliate assistant professor at UW Medicine in Seattle, said Friday on NBC's "TODAY."

"I've cared for several patients with that double whammy," Gupta said. "If they become sick, if they are symptomatic, they can escalate quickly to needing ICU care."

What's more, research has shown men tend to fare worse from Covid-19 than women.

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told reporters Friday that the president was experiencing "mild symptoms" but declined to elaborate. First lady Melania Trump tweeted that she, too, has mild symptoms but is "overall feeling good." A letter from the White House physician confirming the positive test results for both Trumps said they were "well at this time."

Only time will tell how the virus will affect them. "The hallmark of this infection is unpredictability," Dr. Michael Saag, an associate dean for global health at the University of Alabama, said. "It is impossible to know once someone gets infected what's going to happen to them clinically."

Saag not only treats Covid-19 patients; he had a serious case of the illness in March.

"The most common symptom is profound fatigue. Having experienced this infection myself, I can underscore the word profound," Saag said, adding that fatigue is generally the longest-lasting symptom.

"I would predict that if he's going to have symptoms, he will be suffering with some degree of fatigue from now through Election Day."

It is unknown when the president was infected. That knowledge would be key in directing how his physicians will monitor and potentially treat him.

"I try to get as good a handle as I can on when my patient contracted the virus," said Dr. Pieter Cohen, a physician with the Cambridge Health Alliance Respiratory Clinic near Boston. "If the president was exposed to the coronavirus less than five days ago, then this is very early in the infection."

Cohen and other doctors who have been caring for Covid-19 patients for months say the infection has two key parts: an initial phase with minimal to no symptoms, followed, for some, by a more severe phase.

"Then there is the later, more concerning, days of illness, usually days four through eight but can be later as well," Cohen said. "That is when serious complications, often beginning with difficulty breathing, tend to begin."

Dr. Josh Denson, a pulmonary medicine and critical care physician at the Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, said it's rare for a person to become very sick within the first few days of infection.

"This could drag out," Denson said. "If he recovers, it won't be for a week or so. But I've had some patients get critically ill more than 2 to 3 weeks after the initial infection."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's guidelines indicate the president should be in isolation for at least 10 days, and should remain in a "sick room or area and away from other people."

It is likely that during that time, Trump's oxygen levels will be carefully monitored using a device called a pulse oximeter, Gupta said. Monitoring oxygen levels is critical as they can plummet in people with Covid-19, even if they don't feel sick.

"His physicians will be checking his oxygen level. Is he short of breath? Does he have a fever? Does he have chills or a cough? Extreme vigilance here is warranted," he added.

Saag also said that shortness of breath, especially when walking, could be a key predictor for a complication like pneumonia. Patients on the verge of entering that second phase of illness may develop a dry cough.

"I can tell because it's hard to get an exam done with these patients. I'll say, 'take a breath' and they'll get about halfway through and just start coughing," Saag said.

Other symptoms may include difficulty concentrating and chest pain.

Doctors may treat any symptoms the president may develop, but there is no known treatment proven to prevent Covid-19 patients from moving from the initial stage of illness to the second, potentially more dangerous stage, Cohen said.

It is possible that Trump's doctors could offer him remdesivir, convalescent plasma, or a similar type of treatment called monoclonal antibodies. All of those require intravenous infusions, however, and remdesivir is given over a five-day period.

The Food and Drug Administration has issued emergency use authorizations for both remdesivir and plasma, but studies of those treatments are still ongoing. With potential benefit comes potential risk.

"Like a lot of things with this epidemic," Saag said, "this is a giant experiment."

18 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

The next five to 10 days will be critical for President Donald Trump after his positive test for Covid-19. Doctors warn the illness can suddenly worsen after several days of relatively mild symptoms.

That's particularly true for patients with two of the biggest risk factors for serious and even life-threatening complications of the disease: obesity and older age. At 74 and with a body mass index of 30.5, qualifying him as obese, Trump fits both criteria.

"I'm worried," Dr. Vin Gupta, a pulmonologist and an affiliate assistant professor at UW Medicine in Seattle, said Friday on NBC's "TODAY."

"I've cared for several patients with that double whammy," Gupta said. "If they become sick, if they are symptomatic, they can escalate quickly to needing ICU care."

What's more, research has shown men tend to fare worse from Covid-19 than women.

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told reporters Friday that the president was experiencing "mild symptoms" but declined to elaborate. First lady Melania Trump tweeted that she, too, has mild symptoms but is "overall feeling good." A letter from the White House physician confirming the positive test results for both Trumps said they were "well at this time."

Only time will tell how the virus will affect them. "The hallmark of this infection is unpredictability," Dr. Michael Saag, an associate dean for global health at the University of Alabama, said. "It is impossible to know once someone gets infected what's going to happen to them clinically."

Saag not only treats Covid-19 patients; he had a serious case of the illness in March.

"The most common symptom is profound fatigue. Having experienced this infection myself, I can underscore the word profound," Saag said, adding that fatigue is generally the longest-lasting symptom.

"I would predict that if he's going to have symptoms, he will be suffering with some degree of fatigue from now through Election Day."

It is unknown when the president was infected. That knowledge would be key in directing how his physicians will monitor and potentially treat him.

"I try to get as good a handle as I can on when my patient contracted the virus," said Dr. Pieter Cohen, a physician with the Cambridge Health Alliance Respiratory Clinic near Boston. "If the president was exposed to the coronavirus less than five days ago, then this is very early in the infection."

Cohen and other doctors who have been caring for Covid-19 patients for months say the infection has two key parts: an initial phase with minimal to no symptoms, followed, for some, by a more severe phase.

"Then there is the later, more concerning, days of illness, usually days four through eight but can be later as well," Cohen said. "That is when serious complications, often beginning with difficulty breathing, tend to begin."

Dr. Josh Denson, a pulmonary medicine and critical care physician at the Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, said it's rare for a person to become very sick within the first few days of infection.

"This could drag out," Denson said. "If he recovers, it won't be for a week or so. But I've had some patients get critically ill more than 2 to 3 weeks after the initial infection."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's guidelines indicate the president should be in isolation for at least 10 days, and should remain in a "sick room or area and away from other people."

It is likely that during that time, Trump's oxygen levels will be carefully monitored using a device called a pulse oximeter, Gupta said. Monitoring oxygen levels is critical as they can plummet in people with Covid-19, even if they don't feel sick.

"His physicians will be checking his oxygen level. Is he short of breath? Does he have a fever? Does he have chills or a cough? Extreme vigilance here is warranted," he added.

Saag also said that shortness of breath, especially when walking, could be a key predictor for a complication like pneumonia. Patients on the verge of entering that second phase of illness may develop a dry cough.

"I can tell because it's hard to get an exam done with these patients. I'll say, 'take a breath' and they'll get about halfway through and just start coughing," Saag said.

Other symptoms may include difficulty concentrating and chest pain.

Doctors may treat any symptoms the president may develop, but there is no known treatment proven to prevent Covid-19 patients from moving from the initial stage of illness to the second, potentially more dangerous stage, Cohen said.

It is possible that Trump's doctors could offer him remdesivir, convalescent plasma, or a similar type of treatment called monoclonal antibodies. All of those require intravenous infusions, however, and remdesivir is given over a five-day period.

The Food and Drug Administration has issued emergency use authorizations for both remdesivir and plasma, but studies of those treatments are still ongoing. With potential benefit comes potential risk.

"Like a lot of things with this epidemic," Saag said, "this is a giant experiment."

Yeah, my one buddy who got it said day 3-8 are the worst symptoms. We will know quickly how severe Trumps case of covid is. 

• Like 1

Trump has low-grade fever

On Friday afternoon, the president had a low-grade fever, according to three people familiar with his condition. White House physician, Dr. Conley, released a second letter detailing treatment plans and indicating Trump was fatigued.

The president’s physician, Dr. Sean Conley, said in a statement released by the White House that the president received a “single 8 gram dose of Regeneron’s polyclonal antibody cocktail” after being diagnosed with the coronavirus on Friday.

Conley called the treatment “a precautionary measure" and noted Trump is also taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin, and a daily aspirin.

“As of this afternoon the President remains fatigued but in good spirits,” Conley said.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday she anticipates striking a bipartisan economic relief deal with the Trump administration, suggesting that President Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis could speed up an agreement. She called on airlines to hold off on imminent furloughs pending a deal.

14 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

He just tweeted a “proof of life” video as he was leaving the White House. 

He was in such denial of covid and now hes sick. Now most of the white house staff are wearing masks. The scientists are now telling us what is coming due to climate change and no one is listening. The global effects of climate change are going to make covid look like a joke. This country needs to learn to trust the experts. These people spend their entire lives researching this stuff, obviously there will be bumps along the way but they have the most up to date accurate information we can get. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

He was in such denial of covid and now hes sick. Now most of the white house staff are wearing masks. The scientists are now telling us what is coming due to climate change and no one is listening. The global effects of climate change are going to make covid look like a joke. This country needs to learn to trust the experts. These people spend their entire lives researching this stuff, obviously there will be bumps along the way but they have the most up to date accurate information we can get. 

I don’t think he’s in denial of covid, I think that he just doesn’t consider it to be dangerous enough to shutdown borders and industries. Latest mortality number from CDC puts Covid at .26%, which is statistically no worst than a bad flu. The only reason that total deaths will be higher than the flu in a given year are due to lack of antibodies. 

As far as climate change goes I wrote a paper in college that basically says that we’re egomaniacs(Americans) if we think we can do enough to influence climate enough to be able to pick and choose where we inhabit this earth. The money and time spent on slowing climate change would be much better spent on relocation and infrastructure improvement. I’m not saying to not make a concerted effort to be green, just that there is no guarantee that our best efforts to slow it will be successful. Furthermore, history has shown us that life on earth thrived under much warmer temperatures than we currently have, and that the ice ages have been evolutionary bottlenecks. 

So, just watched the news conference with the presidents doctors.. Seems to be more questions than answers lol

The doctor pretty much danced around the questions.. Wouldn't reveal if the president was ever on supplemental oxygen, just saying"he's not on it now" and he's in "very good spirits"..He also refused to give a number for the"low grade" fever the president had..

Also the Doctor said it has been "72 hours since the diagnosis" but it's been 36 hrs since the world has known. 

Ofcourse CNN is all over it claiming he must of had covid during his function in nj..

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic