• Member Statistics

    16,114
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard
    Joined
Met1985

2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

More of the same on the models.  Cool, unsettled,  one nice day then rinse and repeat lol.

It seems to never end lol. If we can get 2.17 with this next system I’ll be at 35 inches year to date.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sw NC weather said:

It seems to never end lol. If we can get 2.17 with this next system I’ll be at 35 inches year to date.

Yea this is crazy, im already over 37 for the year. I bet some mtn locations are nearing or over 50 already. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Models hinting at another pretty strong trough and cold shot late next week. Euro has more high elevation snow and could be more widespread frost. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yea this is crazy, im already over 37 for the year. I bet some mtn locations are nearing or over 50 already. 

Yeah the SW mountains im sure have been hit hard with rainfall this season and it just continues.  I heard some calling for hot and dry conditions going into March and it has been anything but that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sw NC weather said:

It seems to never end lol. If we can get 2.17 with this next system I’ll be at 35 inches year to date.

Yeah that is impressive.  I will have to look at my numbers but im not that high.  It seems like every rain event we get an inch or more in one storm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

Models hinting at another pretty strong trough and cold shot late next week. Euro has more high elevation snow and could be more widespread frost. 

Yep I have been seeing that. For early May that would be extremely impressive and extremely rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite as much rain here in Hickory (25.22 inches), but I'm still almost 6.5 inches ahead of pace on my 8-year average.  The yard looks awesome, though!  =)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Not quite as much rain here in Hickory (25.22 inches), but I'm still almost 6.5 inches ahead of pace on my 8-year average.  The yard looks awesome, though!  =)

Yeah January and February really helped up the totals and it has been steady ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Models hinting at another pretty strong trough and cold shot late next week. Euro has more high elevation snow and could be more widespread frost. 

Yes, the east cost trough returns; when this happens in May I always start reminiscing about May 1992, first time I ever went cross country skiing; found this in the Los Angeles Times of all places:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-05-10-mn-2323-story.html

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Yes, the east cost trough returns; when this happens in May I always start reminiscing about May 1992, first time I ever went cross country skiing; found this in the Los Angeles Times of all places:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-05-10-mn-2323-story.html

 

Yeah I was thinking of the same storm. Crazy how that happened.  Even snowing in the valley.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Currently sitting at 38.8° and dropping with cold rain. I wouldn't be shocked to see a flake or two later.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

Yeah not that cold sitting at 45 but on and off showers.  Beautiful April weather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Down to 34.8° with a wintry mix in Wolf.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

From the looks of the GFS you have more to look forward to this month.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well so the long range GFS even brings May snow showers to the valleys next Saturday night. Seriously WTF, I want to plant my tomatoes...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Well so the long range GFS even brings May snow showers to the valleys next Saturday night. Seriously WTF, I want to plant my tomatoes...

This pattern has been so below average and such a consistent trough for this spring it has been crazy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Well so the long range GFS even brings May snow showers to the valleys next Saturday night. Seriously WTF, I want to plant my tomatoes...

I hear you.  I am just across the mountain from you in TRI, and I feel your pain.  That is a really ugly look next weekend.  I have a small hoop house.  May have to rig up a heater if those temps verify.  Can you imagine the tree foliage with long duration temps in the 20s(teens at higher elevation)?  GEM has temps fairly cold as well now - trended colder this run.  Those are all time record lows(for the month of May) being challenged on both of those models for TRI.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Spent the afternoon on the North Toe river fishing. Couldn't have asked for better weather!

Anyone use a fishing kayak? Looking for recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

I was on South Toe this morning haha. I have used a 12 foot Field and Stream Eagle Talon from Dicks Sporting goods and it does well on the lakes and would do fine in class 1 and 2 water. Anything more than that would be tricky 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

Spent the afternoon on the North Toe river fishing. Couldn't have asked for better weather!

Anyone use a fishing kayak? Looking for recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

I was on Santeetlah today and lost what would have been a new personal best smallie.  Otherwise it kicked my butt outside of a few small largemouth I caught.   For a river kayak, can’t go wrong with a Jackson Coosa or Native Slayer XC but they are both over $1k.  Usually can find used Coosa’s for a decent price.  All depends on what your budget is.  I’ve had a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Jackson Kilroy.  Both good , all-around kayaks when it came to different water types.  My next one is gonna be a Slayer XC since I’ll be fishing moving water in it more than anything else up here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

I was on Santeetlah today and lost what would have been a new personal best smallie.  Otherwise it kicked my butt outside of a few small largemouth I caught.   For a river kayak, can’t go wrong with a Jackson Coosa or Native Slayer XC but they are both over $1k.  Usually can find used Coosa’s for a decent price.  All depends on what your budget is.  I’ve had a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and Jackson Kilroy.  Both good , all-around kayaks when it came to different water types.  My next one is gonna be a Slayer XC since I’ll be fishing moving water in it more than anything else up here.

That sucks, but you had better luck than me.  I just had a few decent bream and one small trout.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anyone else watching that MCS in Tennessee? If it holds together, it could surprise some people overnight.
I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Maybe some sprites if you can keep a view above the clouds. Satellite not looking particularly optimistic though with the overcast expanding rapidly east.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoAPPS said:

Anyone else watching that MCS in Tennessee? If it holds together, it could surprise some people overnight.

 

46 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

 

18 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:
46 minutes ago, Buckethead said:
I am for sure. I'm heading to the top of my mountain to watch the light show. Almost no clouds ahead if that line, so I'm pretty optimistic it'll be a good one...if it holds together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

Maybe some sprites if you can keep a view above the clouds. Satellite not looking particularly optimistic though with the overcast expanding rapidly east.

Yeah GSP just mentioned this line coming through saying it should weaken by the time it gets into the mountains. I agree the way its coming in I think the mountains will chew it up pretty rapidly other than just some rumbles and some heavy rainfall...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.