Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

5 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Can your kids walk?  There’s buses and trains that go by parks?  

the easy, lazy way out is to say it’s not accessible when if you try, anything is accessible. 

Do you trust kids to be safe and smart at a playground/park? It is simple to say that it is available.

55 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Guess what buddy, covid is impacting everyone, so dietary issues are irrelevant. It was already debunked in this thread when another poster wanted to roll in and fat shame people. Like I said if you want to talk dietary issues, there is an Off Topic subforum here, go there and post to your heart's content.

Not necessarily. If you suffer from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, etc, this pause in life because of covid has more than allowed people to adjust their lifestyles.  

fasting is a great example.  A 12-18 fast does wonders for your body which strengthens your immune system which allows you to fight any virus better.  Doesn’t give you immunity but helps your body. 

for all the talk about co-morbidity with covid, health and lifestyle choices seem to play a big role in the outcome. Some preventable, some not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is really no point in discussing weight loss as a remedy for Covid, because there is simply no chance that people would actually start losing weight for Covid. We might as well suggest that someone build a time machine and exterminate all bats back in 2019. 

Stebo is right. The types of people who are fat enough to be at greater risk from Covid are definitely not going to be losing that weight fast enough for it to make a difference before the vaccine. 

Weight loss is a remedy for a lot of much more serious illnesses than Covid. If imminent heart failure isn't gonna make you try and become healthier, then your "1%" chance of dying from Covid certainly won't. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Do you trust kids to be safe and smart at a playground/park? It is simple to say that it is available.

I don’t send my kids, I go with them.  

class and lifestyle is irrelevant. Yeah I know not all neighborhoods are safe but give me a break. Most people can find 20-30 mins out of their day to do this.  People don’t try

1 minute ago, RyanDe680 said:

Not necessarily. If you suffer from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, etc, this pause in life because of covid has more than allowed people to adjust their lifestyles.  

fasting is a great example.  A 12-18 fast does wonders for your body which strengthens your immune system which allows you to fight any virus better.  Doesn’t give you immunity but helps your body. 

for all the talk about co-morbidity with covid, health and lifestyle choices seem to play a big role in the outcome. Some preventable, some not. 

Fasting is a fad diet that tends to lead toward more food cravings. I have taken part in diets like that before and it tends to work but overwhelming hunger. Diets should still be well balanced small meals and small portion sizes combined with exercise.

• Like 2

Just now, RyanDe680 said:

I don’t send my kids, I go with them.  

class and lifestyle is irrelevant. Yeah I know not all neighborhoods are safe but give me a break. Most people can find 20-30 mins out of their day to do this.  People don’t try

I am glad you have the time, that doesn't mean that everyone does.

Either way all this discussion is way off topic of the purpose of the thread anyways.

• Like 1

Just now, Stebo said:

Fasting is a fad diet that tends to lead toward more food cravings. I have taken part in diets like that before and it tends to work but overwhelming hunger. Diets should still be well balanced small meals and small portion sizes combined with exercise.

Now that’s BS.  It’s NOT a diet at all.  

there’s a crap ton of science behind that, beyond the scope of this thread. 

Just now, Stebo said:

I am glad you have the time, that doesn't mean that everyone does.

Either way all this discussion is way off topic of the purpose of the thread anyways.

I didn’t have the time.  I made the time. I work 10 hour days and my wife works as well. I have two kids.  It’s not easy.  Its priorities. 

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Guess what buddy, covid is impacting everyone, so dietary issues are irrelevant. It was already debunked in this thread when another poster wanted to roll in and fat shame people. Like I said if you want to talk dietary issues, there is an Off Topic subforum here, go there and post to your heart's content.

It's not off topic.  Making a healthy lifestyle choice can start at any time.  Why not now?  Never been a better reason to.  We don't know how long covid is around for.

28 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Something we agree on

lol at the people coming in here talking about going from obese/overweight to normal weight in a few weeks. On average you should only lose 1-2 pounds a week (it will be more at the beginning) you will plateau numerous times and almost want to give up. I also say this as someone that runs 10km a day and counted calories and switched my diet around and workout regiment around to kick start during the plateaus. The fad fasting, extreme weight loss is BS and doesn't work for 99% of the population. I went from being 6'2 235 pounds two years ago to 195 pounds today. The big reason for the weight staying off and down is because I didn't do the BS ive seen thrown around in here. Slow and steady over years not weeks/months. 

Not disagreeing about health and lifestyle choices playing a bigger role in the outcome. Just saying this informercial garbage ive heard in the last few pages about weight loss is straight up overnight tv information. And I recommend no one makes lifestyle choices on those late night informercials haha 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stebo said:

You may have been cutting your calories too much too quickly.  Hard to say without knowing more.  

I peaked around 230 lbs years ago and then got down to 180.  Have been a little lax and rebounded to 190, and tend to fluctuate within a few pounds of that number.  I had the best success cutting down on the junk/refined stuff and starting out slightly under caloric maintenance and gradually backing off from there without ever going too low.  Also personal preference was to fit the meals into about an 8-10 hour window, though caution is warranted on that part for anyone who is a known diabetic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

lol at the people coming in here talking about going from obese/overweight to normal weight in a few weeks. On average you should only lose 1-2 pounds a week (it will be more at the beginning) you will plateau numerous times and almost want to give up. I also say this as someone that runs 10km a day and counted calories and switched my diet around and workout regiment around to kick start during the plateaus. The fad fasting, extreme weight loss is BS and doesn't work for 99% of the population. I went from being 6'2 235 pounds two years ago to 195 pounds today. The big reason for the weight staying off and down is because I didn't do the BS ive seen thrown around in here. Slow and steady over years not weeks/months. 

Not disagreeing about health and lifestyle choices playing a bigger role in the outcome. Just saying this informercial garbage ive heard in the last few pages about weight loss is straight up overnight tv information. And I recommend no one makes lifestyle choices on those late night informercials haha 

None of that happens in weeks.  It took me 4+ months to get halfway where I wanted to be, which was to lose 10 lbs.  this was from fasting and changing what I eat. 

Admittedly, knowing that covid outcomes were worse off when your health is bad helped to make me stop procrastinating and make time.

That and changing my supplement regime helped as well. 5,000 IUI of Vitamin D as an example.  Something like that can’t hurt.  

2 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

None of that happens in weeks.  It took me 4+ months to get halfway where I wanted to be, which was to lose 10 lbs.  this was from fasting and changing what I eat. 

Admittedly, knowing that covid outcomes were worse off when your health is bad helped to make me stop procrastinating and make time.

That and changing my supplement regime helped as well. 5,000 IUI of Vitamin D as an example.  Something like that can’t hurt.  

Its great that you've lost the weight. I find the fasting part interesting when looking into healthier lifestyle a few years back, but for the large part of the population, me included its nearly impossible for me to go long periods of time without food. difference is food choice like you mentioned. Instead of bag of chips its an apple and banana. Instead of 2 sandwiches its one with a bag of carrots ect.. Everyone takes diets and tweaks them a bit and its wonderful you've been able to lose your weight with yours. Its no easy task and I congratulate you on that. 

9 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Its great that you've lost the weight. I find the fasting part interesting when looking into healthier lifestyle a few years back, but for the large part of the population, me included its nearly impossible for me to go long periods of time without food. difference is food choice like you mentioned. Instead of bag of chips its an apple and banana. Instead of 2 sandwiches its one with a bag of carrots ect.. Everyone takes diets and tweaks them a bit and its wonderful you've been able to lose your weight with yours. Its no easy task and I congratulate you on that. 

Thanks.  Check out some of Dr Jason Fung’s work.  Pretty incredible research. 

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You may have been cutting your calories too much too quickly.  Hard to say without knowing more.  

I peaked around 230 lbs years ago and then got down to 180.  Have been a little lax and rebounded to 190, and tend to fluctuate within a few pounds of that number.  I had the best success cutting down on the junk/refined stuff and starting out slightly under caloric maintenance and gradually backing off from there without ever going too low.  Also personal preference was to fit the meals into about an 8-10 hour window, though caution is warranted on that part for anyone who is a known diabetic.

I was on the South Beach diet while working midnights and sleeping all day. It was a summer long fast essentially, and it worked I lost 55 lb from May to Late August, but because it wasn't sustainable in college I put it back on.