• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Unless these are tech-oriented companies, the talent pool part doesn't check out.
Tampa, while a very nice city (one of my favorites), has a laughable pool of educated talent and Austin is only good for tech talent.
Detroit is still (by far) the place auto companies want to be in order to easily attract/poach talent, especially Mechanical Engineers. 

Wrong. Companies are moving along with their people en masse down to the South. How do I know this? Because I’m one of those people lol and so are many of my friends. The sun belt migration is on full bore here.

Talent wants to live in cool places with nice weather, it’s why Nashville, Charlotte, Charleston, Atlanta, Birmingham, Tampa, Austin, Dallas are absolutely exploding. Then factor in that these companies are moving factories here to avoid unions and opening up downtown offices for their white collar personnel in a more business tax friendly climate. Cap that off with a more friendly weather climate and you’ve got a boomtown.

Sorry about the OT rant, feel free to delete Hoosier
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Wrong. Companies are moving along with their people en masse down to the South. How do I know this? Because I’m one of those people lol and so are many of my friends. The sun belt migration is on full bore here.

Talent wants to live in cool places with nice weather, it’s why Nashville, Charlotte, Charleston, Atlanta, Birmingham, Tampa, Austin, Dallas are absolutely exploding. Then factor in that these companies are moving factories here to avoid unions and opening up downtown offices for their white collar personnel in a more business tax friendly climate. Cap that off with a more friendly weather climate and you’ve got a boomtown.

Sorry about the OT rant, feel free to delete Hoosier

Actually now that I think about it, I could really get behind younger and more educated people flocking to those cities and making the population of their respective states more urban/suburban and less rural. :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

The more cities grow, the more liberal everyone becomes. History repeats. 

Wouldn’t it be ironic if a bunch of businesses moved to Florida and Texas for things conservatives like, such as low taxes and warm climates, then brought in a bunch of young, educated, liberal talent and flipped 67 electoral votes in the process?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

This is bullshit.

Do they want this virus to continue? One day J and J isn't good then its Moderna and now Phizer.

Maybe Trump was right about the media being fake news. ( I know people  don't want to hear it )

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-less-effective-against-uk-south-african-variants-than-original-strain-israe?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook

20210412_083106.jpg

24 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

This is bullshit.

Do they want this virus to continue? One day J and J isn't good then its Moderna and now Phizer.

Maybe Trump was right about the media being fake news. ( I know people  don't want to hear it )

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-less-effective-against-uk-south-african-variants-than-original-strain-israe?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook

20210412_083106.jpg

Looks like some fake news. Pfizer is 91% effective vs South African variant

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-pfizer/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-shot-91-effective-in-updated-data-protective-against-south-african-variant-idUSKBN2BO55Y

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't think the majority of people realize how effective these vaccines are. The flu vaccine is only 40-60% effective. These vaccines are top notch. The Measles vaccine is 97% effective and virtual eradicated the virus completely. 

Agree but yet people don't want to get them.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Wouldn’t it be ironic if a bunch of businesses moved to Florida and Texas for things conservatives like, such as low taxes and warm climates, then brought in a bunch of young, educated, liberal talent and flipped 67 electoral votes in the process?

I wonder if a lot of business move overseas with the increasing tax hike coming. From 21-28%? 

• Weenie 2

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I wonder if a lot of business move overseas with the increasing tax hike coming. From 21-28%? 

I have a feeling the corporations that managed to pay zero taxes when they were 21% will still mange to pay zero taxes when they are 28%

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I have a feeling the corporations that managed to pay zero taxes when they were 21% will still mange to pay zero taxes when they are 28%

Absolutely. And I have a feeling that even if a bunch of young, educated liberals flock to cities in the South, it won’t automatically flip the 67 electoral votes and congressional seats in TX/FL, it’ll just result in more gerrymandering and legislation designed to reduce turnout.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

At our current vaccination rate 80% of 16+ will be vaccinated by end of May. Along with prior infections, that is herd immunity. 

Things should get better by the summer.  Hopefully no more masks but if not then I am fine with it. 

• Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Absolutely. And I have a feeling that even if a bunch of young, educated liberals flock to cities in the South, it won’t automatically flip the 67 electoral votes and congressional seats in TX/FL, it’ll just result in more gerrymandering and legislation designed to reduce turnout.

Well it's causing a little friction I'll tell you that, this is a very proud people down here and being Southern is a very important thing to them. For example many towns in the Charleston area push back against national chains because it takes away from local businesses, this is why things like Dick's Sporting Goods and Buffalo Wild Wings are a rarity here.

One thing I've seen though is the more liberal folks have taken to Colorado or a western state as the transition to this city has been bumpy for many of them to say the least. With the exception of GA, I don't see any of these states flipping because those who adapt to the culture are those who stay long term. 

• Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Why did Powerball weenie me ? I said I'm fine wearing a mask . Weird.

Since you asked, because despite the pseudoscience being peddled by some in this thread, it's completely unrealistic to expect "no more masks" by the Summer. 

At the earliest, Summer 2022 is when things will be "normal" across much of the country.

Just now, Powerball said:

Since you asked, because despite the pseudoscience being peddled by some in this thread, it's completely unrealistic to expect "no more masks" by the Summer. 

At the earliest, Summer 2022 is when things will be "normal" across much of the country.

I was being optimistic but I agree most likely next year

3 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Depends what you call "much of the country". Good luck expecting people to keep wearing masks when 80% of them have been vaccinated and deaths are extremely low. 

• Weenie 3

7 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Depends what you call "much of the country". Good luck expecting people to keep wearing masks when 80% of them have been vaccinated and deaths are extremely low. 

Some of you don't understand how vaccinations work.

First of all, "80% of them" have not been fully vaccinated yet. I'm not sure who pulled that number out of their ass, but they're spreading false information. The fact is, only 1/3 of the US population has received their first shot and oly 21% of the US population has been fully vaccinated.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

Second, you can still catch the virus and suffer from severe symptons despite being vaccinated. A vaccine merely reduces the chances of that happening (not eliminate them). And if you're someone with pre-existing conditions or a weakened immune system, the vaccination's effectiveness won't be as strong. 

Even here in Texas, every major retailer / restaurant (including Texas-based establishments) is still mandating masks. And in work spaces, they're still enforcing mask wearing and 6 feet social distancing. 

11 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I disagree. I will be at a Bills game this fall with a packed stadium. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Powerball said:

First of all, "80% of them" have not been fully vaccinated yet. I'm not sure who pulled that number out of their ass, but they're spreading false information. The fact is, only 1/3 of the US population has received their first shot and oly 21% of the US population has been fully vaccinated.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-percentage-of-covid-19-vaccines-administered.html

Second, you can still catch the virus and suffer from severe symptons despite being vaccinated. A vaccine merely reduces the chances of that happening (not eliminate them).

Even here in Texas, every major retailer / restaurant (including Texas-based establishments) is still mandating masks. And in work spaces, they're still enforcing mask wearing and 6 feeet social distancing. 

USA update on first dose shots:

2,100,023 first dose shots. Last week 2,001,446

7 day rolling avg is now 1,861,140. 1,847,057 yesterday. <-- record

119.2m age 16+ have first dose - ~44.8% (117.1m - ~44.0% yesterday)

118.4m adults have first doses - 45.9% (116.3m - 45.1% yesterday)

78.5% of 65+ have first dose (78.1% yesterday)

At this rate, the first dose shots:

End of

April - 154.6m

May - 211m

16+ population numbers (based on 266.3m population)

End of

April - 58.1%

May - 79.7%

50% on 4/19

60% on 5/3

69.420% on 5/17

Total population numbers (based on 331.8m population)

End of

April - 46.4%

May - 64%

40% on 4/19

50% on 5/06

60% on 5/24

69.420% on 6/10

• Weenie 1

Percentage in each age group that have received at least one dose

Apr-11 Apr-10 Apr-04 Weekly Δ Daily Δ
75+ 77.8% 77.5% 75.4% 2.4% 0.3%
65-74 78.6% 78.2% 75.2% 3.4% 0.4%
50-64 51.8% 50.8% 44.3% 7.5% 1.0%
40-49 38.7% 37.8% 31.9% 6.8% 0.9%
30-39 32.6% 31.7% 26.4% 6.1% 0.9%
18-29 23.1% 22.2% 17.7% 5.4% 0.8%
<18 1.08% 1.00% 0.61% 0.48% 0.08%
16-17 9.6% 8.8% 5.3% 4.2% 0.7%
16+ 45.0% 44.3% 40.2% 4.8% 0.8%
0+ 36.3% 35.6% 32.4% 3.9% 0.6%

Percentage in each age group that are fully vaccinated

Apr-11 Apr-10 Apr-04 Weekly Δ Daily Δ
75+ 62.3% 61.7% 57.6% 4.7% 0.6%
65-74 60.0% 59.1% 52.7% 7.2% 0.9%
50-64 27.3% 26.2% 20.3% 6.9% 1.1%
40-49 20.3% 19.5% 15.9% 4.3% 0.7%
30-39 17.0% 16.4% 13.5% 3.6% 0.6%
18-29 10.9% 10.4% 8.3% 2.6% 0.5%
<18 0.20% 0.19% 0.13% 0.08% 0.01%
16-17 1.8% 1.7% 1.1% 0.7% 0.13%
16+ 27.4% 26.7% 23.3% 4.1% 0.7%
0+ 22.1% 21.5% 18.8% 3.3% 0.6%
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Second, you can still catch the virus and suffer from severe symptons despite being vaccinated. A vaccine merely reduces the chances of that happening (not eliminate them).

Even here in Texas, every major retailer / restaurant (including Texas-based establishments) is still mandating masks. And in work spaces, they're still enforcing mask wearing and 6 feeet social distancing. 

Incorrect. The vaccines protect 100% against severe illness. 

The vaccine was 100% effective against severe disease as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-confirm-high-efficacy-and-no-serious#:~:text=The vaccine was 100% effective,and Drug Administration (FDA).

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Incorrect. The vaccines protect 100% against severe illness. 

The vaccine was 100% effective against severe disease as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-confirm-high-efficacy-and-no-serious#:~:text=The vaccine was 100% effective,and Drug Administration (FDA).

@Powerball  Anything else I don't understand?

• Weenie 1