• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

I don't like the way Indiana has determined county-by-county restrictions using the metrics map, which uses the 7-day positivity rate and cases per 100,000 people in each county.

Namely, the arbitrary number limits of people allowed to gather in social settings. A particular head-scratcher is that churches are exempt. Does that mean as a Christian, I'm immune? Just joking, but why is it okay to have more people in a church than, say, a business or restaurant?

If the government is really serious about stopping the spread and are sold out on the restrictions, then make it a blanket restriction and not play footsies with certain entities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I don't like the way Indiana has determined county-by-county restrictions using the metrics map, which is determined using the 7-day positivity rate and cases per 100,000 people.

Namely, the arbitrary number limits of people allowed to gather in social settings. A particular head-scratcher is that churches are exempt. Does that mean as a Christian, I'm immune? Just joking, but why is it okay to have more people in a church than, say, a business or restaurant?

If the government is really serious about stopping the spread and are sold out on the restrictions, then make it a blanket restriction and not play footsies with certain entities.

The Church stuff is all about Freedom of Religion. Unfortunately that clashes with the know fact that churches are a known common place of spread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattb65 said:

It's disingenuous to blame the surge on all the Trump super spreading events just like it's disingenuous to blame the people celebrating the election last weekend. I agree with OSU, it's just widespread sustained exponential growth from innumerable small and large get togethers increasingly happening indoors due to the weather with increased natural reproductive rate potential due to the environmental conditions of lower temperatures and lower relative humidity. That's been the biology of the virus since the start and it's why scientists like Dr. Redfield and Dr. Fauci predicted this massive wave of the pandemic back in the spring.

Yeah it is a combo of many things, I do think the celebrating last weekend just hasn't had enough time to manifest itself as an issue. We will have a better idea in a week on that one.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I called out the election celebrations as they were happening last Saturday.  They were not productive, and people could've chosen to celebrate at home.  Yes, it was nice that most people appeared to be wearing masks, but there were still large crowds of people that were more or less staying in the same spot (not marching).

That being said, it is simply playing political games to blame the current increase on those celebrations.  The incubation period of the virus is 2 days at minimum, and many times it's more like 4 or 5 days if not longer.  By the time someone gets tested and gets the result, you are frequently talking 10-14 days after exposure (maybe even longer).  We will continue to see increasing cases, and likely some stemming from the celebrations, but as has been mentioned, we are in continued exponential growth anyhow.

Thank you, you summed it up exactly how it should be.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I called out the election celebrations as they were happening last Saturday.  They were not productive, and people could've chosen to celebrate at home.  Yes, it was nice that most people appeared to be wearing masks, but there were still large crowds of people that were more or less staying in the same spot (not marching).

That being said, it is simply playing political games to blame the current increase on those celebrations.  The incubation period of the virus is 2 days at minimum, and many times it's more like 4 or 5 days if not longer.  By the time someone gets tested and gets the result, you are frequently talking 10-14 days after exposure (maybe even longer).  We will continue to see increasing cases, and likely some stemming from the celebrations, but as has been mentioned, we are in continued exponential growth anyhow.

I guess most of the current increase is from trick or treaters on Halloween ?

29 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I guess most of the current increase is from trick or treaters on Halloween ?

I think we'd still be on the increase if halloween never happened, but it is reasonable to think that people exposed on halloween are getting into the numbers now.  How many, well, who knows.

So what I'm wondering is how many higher risk people who have generally been careful and staying home a lot will decide to go out for Thanksgiving.  Maybe they are tired of being so careful and will be yearning for a day of normalcy with family.  For many there will be no harm done, but for others, all it would take is that one time of letting their guard down.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Pritzker sure made it sound like a statewide stay at home order is on the horizon.  

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for those conversations.  

At this point, with 15000 cases and over 100 dead just today alone, people need to realize how bad this is getting again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

At this point, with 15000 cases and over 100 dead just today alone, people need to realize how bad this is getting again.

I just don't know how you enforce it, especially getting into holiday season.  Unless the hope is that the mere announcement would at least make a portion of people reconsider their behavior.

"I'm sorry that my first Facebook post is so dark, but we really need to get the word out.  Please inform your family and friends of the current COVID-19 situation in Nebraska and throughout the Midwest.

COVID-19 Situation Update – Nov. 10, 2020
Daniel W. Johnson, MD
Critical Care Physician in Omaha, Nebraska

Douglas County and the State of Nebraska are setting new records for new cases and hospitalizations every week. The number of deaths caused by COVID-19 will increase severely in the next few weeks."

20201113_193154.jpg

• Sad 1

Guest ovweather
4 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Halloween spike is right on time. Smh

You’ve been shaking your head (smh) a lot lately. You must have serious neck pain by now. :P

Seriously, maybe taking a day or two off from Covid updates is necessary. It can become overwhelming and the stress of it not good for your overall health.