• Member Statistics

    16,105
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob
    Joined
MAG5035

Central PA - Spring 2020

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, its a tough situation and frankly if you take his situation of going to the beach I doubt anything happens unless someone died or at least was in the hospital.  When someone dies all bets are off even down to the Life Insurance company coming after someone.  So it depends on the order we are under.  I actually had not researched it that much but if it clearly says it is ones responsibility to self isolate for 14 days after leaving the state then a case may have merit.  Even what I do in going to MD to grocery shop could be taken as an offense if I then go into a PA store and infect someone especially if they end up in the hospital.  

just f'd up times folks.....f'd up times. 

Thanks for the explanation Bubbles ;). ( I make jokes/jabs at people I like so take it in fun).....and now its your turn to get me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

just f'd up times folks.....f'd up times. 

Thanks for the explanation Bubbles ;). ( I make jokes/jabs at people I like so take it in fun).....and now its your turn to get me.

 

I was listening to Wolf's 2PM call today and he seemed pretty angry about questions related to not opening but he did say they would continue looking next week at some more counties.  My county is in the middle of some type of outbreak right now so not hopeful here but maybe  Mr Ed's Elephant Museum and Candy store and @Cashtown_Coop can get open late May.

I did look at the PA travel order and it is more specific to CT, NY and NJ so not sure Mike has anything to worry about.  I was thinking someone said it applied to all travel out of PA.  I know I would not fly right now for any reason outside an emergency.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was listening to Wolf's 2PM call today and he seemed pretty angry about questions related to not opening but he did say they would continue looking next week at some more counties.  My county is in the middle of some type of outbreak right now so not hopeful here but maybe  Mr Ed's Elephant Museum and Candy store and @Cashtown_Coop can get open late May.

I did look at the PA travel order and it is more specific to CT, NY and NJ so not sure Mike has anything to worry about.  I was thinking someone said it applied to all travel out of PA.  I know I would not fly right now for any reason outside an emergency.

 

 

 

 

That's helpful. Do you have a link or can you tell me where to find that so that I can appease my wife? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
257 PM EDT Fri May 8 2020

.SYNOPSIS...
Any rain quickly changes to snow this evening with accumulating
snow in the higher elevations. Snow showers will continue into
the weekend. Gusty northwest winds and snow squalls are likely
Saturday. Sunday and Monday will be slightly warmer with rain
and a few snow showers. High pressure expected by the middle of
next week.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

Tricky forecast for this evening into tonight as an area of low
pressure at the surface tracks across Central PA this afternoon and
starts to strengthen near Long Island this evening. However,
this system doesn`t really get its act together and start to
rapidly intensify until it enters the Gulf of Maine early
Saturday morning. Nonetheless, although we thankfully will not
be looking at a huge amount of snowfall, any snow that
accumulates this time of year is significant. The best
frontogenical forcing will be across NE PA and into the
Catskills this evening. Dynamic cooling will quickly cause any
rain to change to snow and likely for higher elevations to just
be straight up snow through the event. There will be a narrow
window from about 6pm through 10 pm tonight where the higher
elevations of the Poconos and Catskills could see a quick 2 to 4
inches of snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That's helpful. Do you have a link or can you tell me where to find that so that I can appease my wife? :)

This was what I read.  It does have that "or states with community spread" caveat though. 

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Travelers.aspx

Coronavirus and Travel in the United States

Should I travel within the US?

It is recommended that if you are returning to Pennsylvania from New York, New Jersey, or states with community spread of COVID-19, to stay at home for 14 days and self-monitor for symptoms.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was listening to Wolf's 2PM call today and he seemed pretty angry about questions related to not opening but he did say they would continue looking next week at some more counties.  My county is in the middle of some type of outbreak right now so not hopeful here but maybe  Mr Ed's Elephant Museum and Candy store and @Cashtown_Coop can get open late May.

I did look at the PA travel order and it is more specific to CT, NY and NJ so not sure Mike has anything to worry about.  I was thinking someone said it applied to all travel out of PA.  I know I would not fly right now for any reason outside an emergency.

 

 

 

 

I worked there as kid.   My first ever job.   Then I moved on to bigger things.    Deep frying chicken at KFC :axe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I worked there as kid.   My first ever job.   Then I moved on to bigger things.    Deep frying chicken at KFC :axe:

I used to man the salad bar at Rax (before your time) in Carlisle so a lot of us have been there.  People you live with just "love" when you come home smelling like a deep fryer. I like to find rare stuff at thrift stores so walking through Mr. Ed's museum was tough to not start grabbing stuff. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I used to man the salad bar at Rax (before your time) in Carlisle so a lot of us have been there.  People you live with just "love" when you come home smelling like a deep fryer.

 

  I pity the fool.   I remember changing my clothes at work.  Left my work shoes there as well.  They had an inch of batter on them.   I prob could have deep fried them with all that secret recipe 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I used to man the salad bar at Rax (before your time) in Carlisle so a lot of us have been there.  People you live with just "love" when you come home smelling like a deep fryer. I like to find rare stuff at thrift stores so walking through Mr. Ed's museum was tough to not start grabbing stuff. 

 

 

Rax! I forgot all about that place. I remember eating there several times as a kid...there was one in Lancaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Rax! I forgot all about that place. I remember eating there several times as a kid...there was one in Lancaster. 

They are still actually around in Ohio, Indiana and such...Midwest.    Their salad bar was nothing compared to Shady Maple but for a fast food place in Carlisle (or Lancaster) it was quite a nice deal and meal. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was listening to Wolf's 2PM call today and he seemed pretty angry about questions related to not opening but he did say they would continue looking next week at some more counties.  My county is in the middle of some type of outbreak right now so not hopeful here but maybe  Mr Ed's Elephant Museum and Candy store and @Cashtown_Coop can get open late May.

I did look at the PA travel order and it is more specific to CT, NY and NJ so not sure Mike has anything to worry about.  I was thinking someone said it applied to all travel out of PA.  I know I would not fly right now for any reason outside an emergency.

 

 

 

 

yeah, people are PISSED at the extension for sure.  They keep looking for reasons to keep areas supressed, and while yes there are areas of concern, MANY areas are turning the corner and should be able to start.  He is really shittin in his nest right now.  Pressing his narrative needs to STOP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I brought up Shady Maple and just read that the FDA is going to permanently recommend the closing of all salad bar based delivery of food.  Wow.  Had to say something as now I feel bad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I brought up Shady Maple and just read that the FDA is going to permanently recommend the closing of all salad bar based delivery of food.  Wow.  Had to say something as now I feel bad.  

Unfortunate for them but makes sense.  All buffets as well.   Every person touches the same utensil. Even the way we serve at the fire dept will have to change.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I brought up Shady Maple and just read that the FDA is going to permanently recommend the closing of all salad bar based delivery of food.  Wow.  Had to say something as now I feel bad.  

So in other words, buffets and buffet style restaurants are going to be a thing of the past? Sad, but as Cashtown said, it makes sense. I love Shady Maple, but on a whole, I was apprehensive of buffets even before the pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow reports on the mPing obs down into Cambria County now, snow on the ground on the 511pa cam on top of the mountain above Clearfield (I-80 Exit 111). That temp drop in western PA is pretty wild to see. Already freezing in Dubois and Pittsburgh metro is in the mid 30s.  

Still rain here but the winds have kicked up pretty good so temps are likely to start falling soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Snow reports on the mPing obs down into Cambria County now, snow on the ground on the 511pa cam on top of the mountain above Clearfield (I-80 Exit 111). That temp drop in western PA is pretty wild to see. Already freezing in Dubois and Pittsburgh metro is in the mid 30s.  

Pretty dramatic change. An hour ago it looked like just rain up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Unfortunate for them but makes sense.  All buffets as well.   Every person touches the same utensil. Even the way we serve at the fire dept will have to change.  

 

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

So in other words, buffets and buffet style restaurants are going to be a thing of the past? Sad, but as Cashtown said, it makes sense. I love Shady Maple, but on a whole, I was apprehensive of buffets even before the pandemic. 

Yea the large chain Sweet Tomatoes/Soup Plantation just closed up shop for good.  I loved that place.  None around here but lots in Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Pretty dramatic change. An hour ago it looked like just rain up there.

565819727_ScreenShot2020-05-08at5_41_14PM.png.3182f5a32cba775a67bef8e11db8e05d.png

Black ice is a definite threat later this evening with the gusty winds and the rapid temp drops, especially in the central counties but everyones probably going under 32 tonight. It's looking to bottom out at 25ºF here, which is really going to hurt sensitive stuff. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

@Bubbler86 too bad this isn’t snow right now.  You and I would have been in this death maxing out ratios right now.    Been dumping rain for a while now 

Yep, I have a bunch of stuff to put out to cover plants and cannot do it while it is pouring like this.   Its raining so hard I am surprised there are no snow flakes mixed in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

565819727_ScreenShot2020-05-08at5_41_14PM.png.3182f5a32cba775a67bef8e11db8e05d.png

Black ice is a definite threat later this evening with the gusty winds and the rapid temp drops, especially in the central counties but everyones probably going under 32 tonight. It's looking to bottom out at 25ºF here, which is really going to hurt sensitive stuff. 

 

The wind may help dry things out. Definitely will be slick in spots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

565819727_ScreenShot2020-05-08at5_41_14PM.png.3182f5a32cba775a67bef8e11db8e05d.png

Black ice is a definite threat later this evening with the gusty winds and the rapid temp drops, especially in the central counties but everyones probably going under 32 tonight. It's looking to bottom out at 25ºF here, which is really going to hurt sensitive stuff. 

 

Yea, I truly feel bad for the folks out your way that used the Pandemic time to get a head start on their garden and yard stuff.  Its not fair really. Even here we may lose a lot of stuff we have worked on but mid 20's is going to hammer stuff out there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annd we have flipped to snow here... that quick. It's light though, the downsloping just off the Laurels is evident on the radar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, I truly feel bad for the folks out your way that used the Pandemic time to get a head start on their garden and yard stuff.  Its not fair really. Even here we may lose a lot of stuff we have worked on but mid 20's is going to hammer stuff out there.

 

 

My mom was going to get flowers last weekend and decided not to go that day. I promptly told her she better wait til after Mother's Day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the downslope shadow on the radar, the dashed line is roughly where the Allegheny Front is. The mPing snow report in Altoona is mine. I'll probably eventually make a drive up to the top of the mountain this evening. 

399485699_ScreenShot2020-05-08at6_16_50PM.thumb.png.bb5d6dc4d588655bcda39e4bb0f6d34f.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

@Bubbler86 too bad this isn’t snow right now.  You and I would have been in this death maxing out ratios right now.    Been dumping rain for a while now 

We ended up with between 3/4 and 1" for the day.  Not the high totals we saw a few days ago but still a soaker.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.