Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Threats

Rjay

15 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I agree. As I mentioned a week ago, that timeframe holds the most promise. 

By mid Feb we'll know enough whether to write off winter completely or not.

If it's this same ole 10+ day out song & dance then the rest of winter is more likely to follow the early 2010s late winter patterns.  

Arctic air will have to start getting involved post Feb 15 otherwise even a perfect track won't matter. That +EPO needs to flip.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

Is the MJO projected to go to into phases 1-2 by then?  How much is the pattern MJO driven currently? 

I think its a combo of mjo that produced a record +AAM event that causes the pac jet to go on roids. It doesn't help that you have th intense goa low that also tightens the pac jet. That doesn't allow the pna ridge out west to build. With that being flatter it prevents the northern stream s/w from digging further south. Also think bad strat alignment has cut off cold air supply. That will change after the 5th as the strat alignment is more favorable for -epo development. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

The main forcing is currently in 8 but we still have convection in 6. The +AAM and Pv orientation is negativity effecting any results from p8.

We will be in 2/3 to start February. With some strat hits we should get into a better airmass by the 5th. 

Just now, tombo82685 said:

I think its a combo of mjo that produced a record +AAM event that causes the pac jet to go on roids. It doesn't help that you have th intense goa low that also tightens the pac jet. That doesn't allow the pna ridge out west to build. With that being flatter it prevents the northern stream s/w from digging further south. Also think bad strat alignment has cut off cold air supply. That will change after the 5th as the strat alignment is more favorable for -epo development. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Just get the timing right with the northern and southern stream and this storm will trend west. Plenty of time for that to happen.

I think it will get close enough for precip but in order for it to be mainly frozen it has to be a dynamic system

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Really?

nao.sprd2.gif

pna.sprd2.gif

LOL a mostly positive NAO and a very slightly positive PNA.   EPO is raging positive and the continent is flooded with mild air-not exactly the stuff of significant coastal snow events, very rare to get a good snowstorm here without an arctic or even modified arctic airmass in place-the stuff now is modified polar pacific garbage

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

Just now, Brian5671 said:

LOL a mostly positive NAO and a very slightly positive PNA.   EPO is raging positive and the continent is flooded with mild air-not exactly the stuff of significant coastal snow events

So we never had snowstorms in a bad pattern? I'm guessing you think this storm is over 5 days out ?

Just now, WestBabylonWeather said:

Isn’t the NAO projected to go negative end of this week? 

maybe the models haven’t really grasped that regarding this storm?

just a thought 

Models are having  a really tough time with all the shortwave associated with this storm. This happens all the time with Miller A storms.

Eric Webb just posted stating how the models will not have a clue this far out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

If this storm is a sub 980 millibars low pressure and tracks over the benchmark with a classic +PNA trough, I don’t think you need northern stream interaction to overcome the wetbulbing effect. Globals always underestimate the thermals which in my opinion is huge, it’s happened too many times to name. Evaporative and dynamic cooling with a sub 980 storm will give New York City a big snowstorm. That’s my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 3

3 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

If this storm is a sub 980 millibars low pressure and tracks over the benchmark with a classic +PNA trough, I don’t think you need northern stream interaction to overcome the wetbulbing effect. Globals always underestimate the thermals which in my opinion is huge, it’s happened too many times to name. Evaporative and dynamic cooling with a sub 980 storm will give New York City a big snowstorm. That’s my opinion. Like if you agree.

I agree

Too many people canceling this storm 5 days out. Its hilarious. 

Too many vorts for the models to handle. We see this over and over again with Miller A storms.

I see Allsnow laughing. Typical.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I agree

Too many people canceling this storm 5 days out. Its hilarious. 

Too many vorts for the models to handle. We see this over and over again with Miller A storms.

I see Allsnow laughing. Typical.

too many vorts usually means not a big consolidated storm....you need to take the snow goggles off-the cards are stacked against us here.   1 in a 1000 shot  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 4

Just now, Snow88 said:

Then dont track it man. Stop trolling.

You never learn you lesson. You do this all the time while tracking. How have the models been so far this year ? 

Yes they have sucked. Sit back and keep tracking.

LOL-no one is trolling, just trying to get you to learn about basic pattern recognition-you look silly right now with statements like "it won't take much in the way of changes for us to get a snowstorm this weekend"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Snow88 said:

Exactly 

This thread is a disaster. Time to read posts in the SNE thread where they think the threat isnt over yet.

The threat isn’t over for them because of there latitude and climo. They can get away with way more imperfections in a set up then we can. This is why they avg way more snow then us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

Just now, Allsnow said:

The threat isn’t over for them because of there latitude and climo. They can get away with way more imperfections in a set up then we can. This is why they avg way more snow then us. 

It isnt over for anyone. I guess you havent been tracking storms this winter. Euro has screwed us multiple times 3 days out.

Euro left energy behind in the SW

All we can do now is keep tracking

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, Barman49 said:

Looking closer at the UK that would be a slap in the face. I'd rather the whole thing just go ots.

Sent from my GM1925 using Tapatalk

The UK/Icon solutions aren’t realistic in this pattern.  This will either miss or it’ll phase with the NS and be a monster.  I don’t really see any other possibility 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mersky said:

euro buried energy in the sw, a known bias of the euro and the eps. No other model buried it like the euro just did.  If he didnt do that the result would have been different. A lot has to go right for this to be a snowstorm, that is a fact. But those writing it off 6 days out could have egg on their face when all is said and done

Agree

Foolish to write it off this early

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The UK/Icon solutions aren’t realistic in this pattern.  This will either miss or it’ll phase with the NS and be a monster.  I don’t really see any other possibility 

The UKMET / ICON / JMA  / NAVGEM / NAV ensembles all have a similar look. ( It`s not those 2 ) , however It`s a bad pattern / set up.

But it`s late Jan and  you just need to deepen / close off in the right spot. ( It would have to be absolutely perfect we know ) . 

Hat tip to Eric Webb for this good luck figuring out which one of the 4  Vorts phases and where.

It`s why the models will have a hard time seeing it, let alone close in on a forecast. It is hard enough to snow on the coast with a good set up.

1580146720756.png.f991aa0c3367d4fa2fa982d81aad1c1b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1