Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE/CNE Snow Special Thursday 01/16

dryslot

16 hours ago, dryslot said:

Sweet, 7.3" here.

High end advisory event - finished with 5.3" from 0.42" LE.  Steady light (mostly) SN 5:15 AM to 5:30 PM, then another 0.5" of 50:1 feathers 9-9:30.  Temp dropped 5° to -2 between 5 and 7 this morning.  Record will show 21° for today's max as that was the temp at 9 last night.  We'll see if this afternoon clears 10°.  Current WCI -32 at FVE.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Nice Pics. Is that accumulation ahead of schedule? Seems like a 3 footer is in the cards at that rate. Somebody in my office asked what the chances are of getting a package couriered to C.B.S. NL. I just laughed:lol:

It's about halfway through in terms of accumulations i think. I had 70 cm/28 inches in our forecast yesterday morning when I left. 2 is a given, 3 footer is realistically possible. Im concerned I'll lose power in the winds this evening. 

13 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

It's about halfway through in terms of accumulations i think. I had 70 cm/28 inches in our forecast yesterday morning when I left. 2 is a given, 3 footer is realistically possible. Im concerned I'll lose power in the winds this evening. 

Yeah that will suck. I lost power during "white Juan" and it took 4 days to get it back. Fortunately it wasn't frigid after the storm. Good luck. 

The storm of 2020!  Who knows but as I recall White Juan - now that was a winter hurricane that hit us back in 2004 that because it did not hit the states was never named the Blizzard of 2004.  Interestingly enough this winter seems to be the winter that comes in spurts for Newfoundland, even for parts of Nova Scotia specifically for Cape Breton, (mainland is in a bit of a 2nd and in some cases 3rd year in a row snow hole) as for most of Southern New England it will be the second season in a row of being in that snow hole.  Interestingly enough in storms like this if the NAO was negative this is a major rain storm for you, with the teleconnections that are good down there can be bad in Newfoundland.  In a true GSM temperature wise Newfoundland is likely to  be warmer.

1 minute ago, Ogmios said:

The storm of 2020!  Who knows but as I recall White Juan - now that was a winter hurricane that hit us back in 2004 that because it did not hit the states was never named the Blizzard of 2004.  Interestingly enough this winter seems to be the winter that comes in spurts for Newfoundland, even for parts of Nova Scotia specifically for Cape Breton, as for most of Southern New England it will be the second season in a row of being in that snow hole.  Interestingly enough ins storms like this if the NAO was negative this is a major rain storm for you, with the teleconnections that are good down there can be bad in Newfoundland.  In a true GSM temperature wise Newfoundland is likely to  be warmer.

Most of yyts biggest storms happen in an -ao regime. Theres no correlation here between nao and snow here only temps. 

CYYT 172110Z 05065G//KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN VV003 M04/M04 A2864 RMK FG8 WND ESTD
 SLP707=
CYYT 172100Z 05055G//KT 1/4SM SN BLSN VV003 M04/M04 A2864 RMK SN8 /SO8/ WND
 ESTD SLP705=
CYYT 172110Z 05065G//KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN VV003 M04/M04 A2864 RMK FG8 WND ESTD
 SLP707=
CYYT 172200Z 09085G//KT 1/8SM +SN BLSN VV002 M04/M05 A2864 RMK SN8 /S11/ WND
 ESTD SLP706=
CYYT 172300Z 09058G//KT 1/8SM +SN BLSN VV003 M05/M06 A2863 RMK SN8 /S15/ WND
 ESTD SLP705=

Wonder if that 85kt estimated ob meant to be 58kt like the 23z ob? These are all augmented obs now.