• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 10th-12th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

Starting to wonder if this event will have similarities to the 12/28/15 major sleet event. The cold press from the north will be similar and in that event we were coming off an incredibly torchy month. We were more concerned about icing threat and sleet became the much bigger deal except near and south of I-80.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Starting to wonder if this event will have similarities to the 12/28/15 major sleet event. The cold press from the north will be similar and in that event we were coming off an incredibly torchy month. We were more concerned about icing threat and sleet became the much bigger deal except near and south of I-80.

Just missed the more significant ice here with that one.  Had a lot of sleet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

The 00z CMC is mostly rain in Chicago and Detroit. The ice line is bit further north than the GFS/NAM, but YYZ gets a significant ice storm. 

Eastern Iowa is the winner.

It looks like the High across northern Ontario is stronger and moves in at the right time to filter low level cold air across our area.

• Like 1

Just like with severe wx this looks almost like a "day of" forecast.  The ice line keeps shifting among model runs for Chi town and nw and northern IN.   Down here in central IN forecasters are calling for 2-4 inches of rain.  If this materializes the copious moisture should be thrown north to make some of these ridiculous precip totals actually verify.  Fly in the ointment as has been mentioned is convection and svr storms down south.

1 minute ago, Toronto4 said:

It looks like the High across northern Ontario is stronger and moves in at the right time to filter low level cold air across our area.

Yup. It would be disastrous if we saw a repeat of 2013. For now it more closely resembles the Apr. 2018 sleet storm. 

20 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I don't know who is doing the overnight at LOT but good luck to whomever it is.  Huge differences in sensible outcomes for the area with the GEM adding to the uncertainty.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

The 00z CMC is mostly rain in Chicago and Detroit. The ice line is bit further north than the GFS/NAM, but YYZ gets a significant ice storm. 

Eastern Iowa is the winner.

Ice line is further south then 12Z. Literally going to be a thread the needle event with the changing models 

• Like 2

I don't know who is doing the overnight at LOT but good luck to whomever it is.  Huge differences in sensible outcomes for the area with the GEM adding to the uncertainty.
I'm doing the winds, and another thing that is extremely concerning given the lake levels is the lakeshore flood threat. But as for the rest of the elements, it'll be Carlaw again. Our last mid of 7. New crew tomorrow night, both good forecasters, MTF and Kluber.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just took a look at 00z NAM and it would suggest big time sleet on Saturday roughly from ORD southwest to about VYS. I took a photo of one of our internal ptype derivation grids, negative energy low level, from the modified Bourgoin energy technique, which the original can be found on BUFKIT and pivotalwx soundings (lower right). All the areas in the dark blue would be sleet, with the white/pink area in between a transition IP/ZR zone depending on sfc T. This is valid 21z Saturday. 09255ea127ba0ae85eee0e90b42dd1ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 5