Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

Just now, hudsonvalley21 said:

That’s if they don’t beat you to the rabbits. Plenty of snowshoes here, Chinese takeout place closed the last couple of weeks due to the virus.

I ended up getting a burger to go from the local gastropub... pretty depressing scenes. Tables stacked in the corner, designated standing area 6 feet from the bar while paying, special receptacle for "used" pens awaiting disinfecting. I'm sure they must be doing some tenuous business, else it wouldn't be worth staying open, but it really hits home how badly these places are suffering. That joint is swamped on a normal Friday from early afternoon to the wee hours, and now you have a few stragglers sheepishly ambling through the door over the course of the night. Terrible.

Anyway, white rain here at 34/33. Looks like this is going to be entirely dependent on rates. Needs to come down faster than it can melt.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

I ended up getting a burger to go from the local gastropub... pretty depressing scenes. Tables stacked in the corner, designated standing area 6 feet from the bar while paying, special receptacle for "used" pens awaiting disinfecting. I'm sure they must be doing some tenuous business, else it wouldn't be worth staying open, but it really hits home how badly these places are suffering. That joint is swamped on a normal Friday from early afternoon to the wee hours, and now you have a few stragglers sheepishly ambling through the door over the course of the night. Terrible.

Anyway, white rain here at 34/33. Looks like this is going to be entirely dependent on rates. Needs to come down faster than it can melt.

A bunch of the mom and pop restaurants and local bars are closed. Hope it won’t be long so they can reopen before they hit the point of no return. A buddy of mine owns a small tavern and is closed, he is back driving trucks. 
Down to 36 and some white rain mixing in.

1 minute ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

A bunch of the mom and pop restaurants and local bars are closed. Hope it won’t be long so they can reopen before they hit the point of no return. A buddy of mine owns a small tavern and is closed, he is back driving trucks. 

Small tavern...future GTG location?

Down to 35 here, all snow now. 

18 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Yeah, reopening needs to happen sooner than later if people are to stay in business. I just wonder whether the official lifting of shutdown will be enough to stop the bleeding. Hopefully most people are comfortable going out to eat, going to the mall, visiting specialty shops, etc. with reasonable precautions. There's gonna be a lot of soul-searching and hand-wringing in the coming months and years, to be sure. I'll have no problem sitting down for dinner in a clean restaurant or buying clothes in roomy stores, but will I ever feel totally at ease again spending a Saturday afternoon shopping at Woodbury? Hard to say...

14 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Small tavern...future GTG location?

Down to 35 here, all snow now. 

Count me in. When this is all over, socializing > everything else

Back to all rain here. The southerly flow up the valley is doing me no favors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, reopening needs to happen sooner than later if people are to stay in business. I just wonder whether the official lifting of shutdown will be enough to stop the bleeding. Hopefully most people are comfortable going out to eat, going to the mall, visiting specialty shops, etc. with reasonable precautions. There's gonna be a lot of soul-searching and hand-wringing in the coming months and years, to be sure. I'll have no problem sitting down for dinner in a clean restaurant or buying clothes in roomy stores, but will I ever feel totally at ease again spending a Saturday afternoon shopping at Woodbury? Hard to say...

Count me in. When this is all over, socializing > everything else

Back to all rain here. The southerly flow up the valley is doing me no favors.

Agree, I will be definitely concerning to go to beaches, sporting events, concerts etc. when things finally open up. What will be the new norm. We’ll see. 

• Like 1

Julian,

I agree small businesses are getting killed and  they need to start letting  them open even with some restrictions so they don't suffer irreparable harm.  I  have been a weekender in Sussex county NJ for 22 years but don't post too often since I seem to be working in the city during some events.  I am only about 6-7 miles from Animal but I am only at 625 feet of elevation so I am only getting  mix of rain and white rain.

I first found my way to the great NW in 1997-98 when my job inherited property in the southern Berkshires and I was in charge of selling the property.  I used to drive through Millbrook frequently and I believe there was a diner on route 44 where i would stop.  I have always wanted to go pass there again and head up to the Great Barrington MA/Litchfielsd County area of CT and I hope to do so this summer.  How long have you been in Millbrook and has the area changed much over the years?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northwest NJ said:

Julian,

I agree small businesses are getting killed and  they need to start letting  them open even with some restrictions so they don't suffer irreparable harm.  I  have been a weekender in Sussex county NJ for 22 years but don't post too often since I seem to be working in the city during some events.  I am only about 6-7 miles from Animal but I am only at 625 feet of elevation so I am only getting  mix of rain and white rain.

I first found my way to the great NW in 1997-98 when my job inherited property in the southern Berkshires and I was in charge of selling the property.  I used to drive through Millbrook frequently and I believe there was a diner on route 44 where i would stop.  I have always wanted to go pass there again and head up to the Great Barrington MA/Litchfielsd County area of CT and I hope to do so this summer.  How long have you been in Millbrook and has the area changed much over the years?

US 44 between Millbrook and North Canaan is a beautiful route any time of year. It's sort of a trip to the past as one drives through the little communities that time left behind. With the exception of a few convenience stores, you won't find any retail chains in Millerton, Millerton, Salisbury, etc... just old-fashioned hardware stores, original diners, little B&Bs. It's charming. These villages are very interested in maintaining that aesthetic by controlling who can open up. With the new rail trails, hiking trails, state and local parks, and other attractions along that corridor, it's a pretty under-appreciated part of the region IMO.

I've been in Millbrook 19 years now and it's the same as it ever was. Quite literally indistinguishable from 2001 in almost all respects. I find it comforting in a way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

US 44 between Millbrook and North Canaan is a beautiful route any time of year. It's sort of a trip to the past as one drives through the little communities that time left behind. With the exception of a few convenience stores, you won't find any retail chains in Millerton, Millerton, Salisbury, etc... just old-fashioned hardware stores, original diners, little B&Bs. It's charming. These villages are very interested in maintaining that aesthetic by controlling who can open up. With the new rail trails, hiking trails, state and local parks, and other attractions along that corridor, it's a pretty under-appreciated part of the region IMO.

I've been in Millbrook 19 years now and it's the same as it ever was. Quite literally indistinguishable from 2001 in almost all respects. I find it comforting in a way.

Agreed.  My in laws live in Southfield just over the border from canaan ct so I’ve spent plenty of time in the area.  Under appreciated.

miserable 39f and drizzling.  This has got to be rock bottom.  Bring on the heat already.

The whole Taconics region of Dutchess and Columbia Counties is pretty cool. The depressed nature is somewhat offputting but the towns are cozy and useful. The mountains and forests are awesome though and for all the years I've been exploring them I'm not even halfway through the spots I want to check out.

37* and dreary. Ick. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

33.6° and snowing, no accumulation.

Went back and forth between rain and snow all night, nothing sticking, ten to fifteen miles to my NW 3-4 inches. The final parting insult to the worst winter ever.

15-16 was the worst here, largest snowfall was 2.7”, thats a true clunker. 

59 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Did you get any accumulation last night Rob? I heard reports on other boards of 3-4 inches in the vicinity of Middletown.

.2”, it could’ve been more at its peak overnight but I wasn’t up, the cars were covered with a sloppy mess and the ground in the woods was white when I got up, all gone now. I’m at 385’, there was likely more up on the hill which is over 500’.