• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

I think this may end up being the year our property ends up looking more parklike than ever before but I'm going to try to reduce the amount of grass to mow. It seems like 5 days a week we're doing hours of yardwork. We have some good sized projects ahead. If it comes together right we'll have a food producing setup like nobody else in the 'hood.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I think this may end up being the year our property ends up looking more parklike than ever before but I'm going to try to reduce the amount of grass to mow. It seems like 5 days a week we're doing hours of yardwork. We have some good sized projects ahead. If it comes together right we'll have a food producing setup like nobody else in the 'hood.

Food for whom?

My garden in Connecticut was harvested messily by the local raccoons, just before the corn was ripe. They laugh at fences, so hope you have a serious dog.

13 hours ago, gravitylover said:

My wife handles the vegetable garden, for the most part. The way I see it, I mow the lawn once a week typically while she has to deal with the garden daily. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

My wife handles the vegetable garden, for the most part. The way I see it, I mow the lawn once a week typically while she has to deal with the garden daily. 

18 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I deal with outside and do all gardening and overall facilities upkeep and maintenance, my wife feeds us. I like to eat so...

As a widower, I covet your situations. The good that’s in both of your partnerships will keep them going. As always ....

• Like 3

On 4/20/2020 at 8:05 AM, gravitylover said:

Heheh my problem is with much smaller critters but our 2 dogs may have solved that, they caught a couple of moles over the last few months so maybe this year I don't have half eaten heads of lettuce problems.

The dogs need remedial training,  they got the wrong guys.  Moles are your friends, they don't do vegetables,  only bugs and worms.

That said, lawn maintenance and moles are not very compatible,  even if veggie gardens and moles are just fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’ve never had a problem with moles in the garden....squirrels and chipmunks are another story depending on our weather. If it’s dry I’ve seen the bastards take just a small bite out of tomatoes to get the juice. I almost wish that they had just eaten the whole tomato!

Same here, the furry little rodents hit my tomatoes too. Then the friggin birds hit the blue and raspberries. :gun_bandana:

OMG the birds wrecked my berry crop last year and those damned furry critters ruined half the tomatoes. I think I need to replace one of the blueberry bushes, it doesn't seem to be coming back, just laid in 36 seedling pots in the house but I think I'm going to get another tray. Tomatoes this year will be in an upside down hanging thing, no bugs and the furry critters seem to ignore those. I need to make some wooden boxes for potatoes, I want to do a couple of different types this year. Not sure what to do about corn because that's another one the chipmunks seemed to like.

I hate the moles.  I’d like to think I killed them when I put moletox in their tunnels but more likely it was the feral cat hanging around.  He took care of the chipmunks, that’s for sure.   I have my tomatoes planted in a protected, fenced into the ground, garden and that seems to have worked.  But the blueberry bushes I planted get raided by the birds who eat what little fruit they produce.

had some good weather yesterday.  Some boomers and a little hail.  Lost power for 4 hours.  Interesting at least. Can’t believe I’m still running the wood burning stove.

And now it's nice. Sorta. Not looking forward to a washout tomorrow. Being on an anti platelet med kinda sux, I bruise so easily now it's crazy. My hand got jacked into the handlebar when I was riding yesterday and now it's all bruised and swollen, I can't grab things and hold them tight and even the steering wheel and shifter were tough to hold normally. Good thing I don't have to drive much right now I guess. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

So we're officially past the average first 80F day at POU. Last year came within a few days of all-time latest. Can we do it again? GEFS and EPS certainly show no risk of breaking that particular ceiling any time soon.

Well, saturday was nice.  Tomorrow should be ok.  Spring is the worst season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hitman said:

Well, saturday was nice.  Tomorrow should be ok.  Spring is the worst season.

It's extra awful this year, both in perception and all objective measures. Usually by May we've had at least one meaningful stretch of decent weather. It seems that the best we can do this spring is the occasional near-normal day when it feels kinda-sorta nice if the wind dies down. We may try to sneak in some transient ridging next weekend, though I don't trust that Friday storm not to overstay its welcome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah right, even on the nice days there's still a crispness that hints of winter. We've really only had 2 or 3 days where the air was warm and 'soft'.

Warmish, not really warm.  I feel like this is how it’s been for the last few years.  Miserable through May and into June.

On 4/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, Juliancolton said:

It's extra awful this year, both in perception and all objective measures. Usually by May we've had at least one meaningful stretch of decent weather. It seems that the best we can do this spring is the occasional near-normal day when it feels kinda-sorta nice if the wind dies down. We may try to sneak in some transient ridging next weekend, though I don't trust that Friday storm not to overstay its welcome.

As feared, the upper low is hanging back more and more with each run.

0r4F11T.gif

• Like 1

The delayed exit seems to have been real, but the ULL trended south today such that we end up under a more diffluent regime for most of Saturday. Clear until evening with potential for spot 70F if that holds.

The models have been pretty chaotic with this period. It's been interesting to watch... if there were even whispers of frozen precip, everyone would be losing their minds over these swings.

• Like 1