• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Top 5(ish) New England Weather events

HoarfrostHubb

NYC broke it's snowfall record with that storm. I'd take that Winter again in a heartbeat. Snowfall from November to April. Fantastic skiing nearly all season long. Snowfield skiing at Sugarloaf in January, waist deep powder skiing in March at Plattekill and Bobcat. Sugarloaf closed on 4/29 with top to bottom coverage and no bare spots. Nasty January thaw though.

95-96 should be bittersweet to southern areas. It of course featured some incredible late season snows. It also features one of the most memorable meltdowns of all time. Locally interior SE MA, we had a staggering 30-35" pack that was obliterated in a short time. The most since 1978, when the snowpack was around 45" and drifts 10'.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

95-96 should be bittersweet to southern areas. It of course featured some incredible late season snows. It also features one of the most memorable meltdowns of all time. Locally interior SE MA, we had a staggering 30-35" pack that was obliterated in a short time. The most since 1978, when the snowpack was around 45" and drifts 10'.

Extremely late snowfall in May of 1996. Snow on 5/12/96 in New York State and Vermont.

16 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

The last snow event was elevation dependant. I recall green grass and no snow OTG in Farmington when we drove home.

While some grass was showing then, I'd guess the "green" was leftovers from autumn, not spring green-up.  Probably lots of piles still around as you drove by.  Farmington co-op, located along Rt 4/27 about 1.5 miles north of town center, had 7" depth on 4/17 and only a trace on the 18th, despite that day's 37/36 temp and only 0.25" RA.  To me, that's far too little RA/warmth to eat 7" of snow, even ripe 2:1 stuff.  At my pack-holding location, 4/17 had 15" (at my 9 PM obs time - don't know when the co-op measures) and then decreased 2-3" per day to reach "trace" on 4/23.  Had 3" the evening before.

10 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

Not just the southern (assuming that means MA and perhaps SNE) but NNE as well.  Farmington co-op reached 40" depth on Jan. 13 despite whiffing on the blizz. Then 3 torch-deluges (totaled 4" RA at temps 47-53) crushed the pack down to 8", by far the co-op's greatest January loss of snowpack.  Feb. snows brought the depth to 21" before late month thaws pushed it back to 7", then a cold snowy week-plus in March grew the pack to 23".  Two weeks later it was gone, just traces, and the 20" of April snow lasted but a day or two.

11/23/89
4" of snow at my parents house in Bayside. I drove to my friends house in Dix Hills for Thanksgiving dinner and right into the storm. Near zero visibility and heavy snow. My car nearly went off the road.

Only flurries that day south of Augusta, though I tagged a deer that morning.  Much preferred the thunderblizzard two days earlier, which ushered in nearly 6 weeks of continuous BN temps with several 10-11" snowfalls..

Extremely late snowfall in May of 1996. Snow on 5/12/96 in New York State and Vermont.

Co-worker living at 1200' in Frenchville had 36 hours of continuous snowfall that weekend, top depth reaching 12".  30 miles SE and almost 600' lower, CAR recorded 5.7".

58 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not just the southern (assuming that means MA and perhaps SNE) but NNE as well.  Farmington co-op reached 40" depth on Jan. 13 despite whiffing on the blizz. Then 3 torch-deluges (totaled 4" RA at temps 47-53) crushed the pack down to 8", by far the co-op's greatest January loss of snowpack.  Feb. snows brought the depth to 21" before late month thaws pushed it back to 7", then a cold snowy week-plus in March grew the pack to 23".  Two weeks later it was gone, just traces, and the 20" of April snow lasted but a day or two.

11/23/89
4" of snow at my parents house in Bayside. I drove to my friends house in Dix Hills for Thanksgiving dinner and right into the storm. Near zero visibility and heavy snow. My car nearly went off the road.

Only flurries that day south of Augusta, though I tagged a deer that morning.  Much preferred the thunderblizzard two days earlier, which ushered in nearly 6 weeks of continuous BN temps with several 10-11" snowfalls..

Co-worker living at 1200' in Frenchville had 36 hours of continuous snowfall that weekend, top depth reaching 12".  30 miles SE and almost 600' lower, CAR recorded 5.7".

I don't remember specifics day to day for that winter, was only 17. I do remember skiing  in VT up at Burke (toured Lyndon) and it was mediocre. Drove home to bare ground.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

The great flurry of September 30, 1992.

:lol:
However, on 9/30/91 locations from PQI and points north recorded 2-5".  Ironic, because 5 years earlier (9/30/86) brought the largest convective-caused blowdown I've seen in my 46 years in Maine, 600 acres in T16R6 and T16R5, ending by tossing spruce into the NW end of Square Lake.   (The Telos blowdown in October of either 1979 or 1980 was 3,000 acres of flattened spruce that from the air looked like an August oat field squashed by a thunderstorm.  However, that was a synoptic system, SE gale.) 

sadly no older folks mentioned the desert dry of '65

Driest year on record for 6 states - DE, PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA.  Skipped NY because of a drier year in the less wet western counties, but NYC's 26.09" in 1965 is nearly 7" less than their #2 driest, which was the year before.  1963 comes in at 4th driest but only a 4" RA in early November kept them from the #2 slot.  And 1966 was running only 0.7" less dry than '65 thru August.  ('66 remains NYC's driest met summer and is 2nd only to 2010 for hottest.)  Then 9/21/66 recorded 5.54" and the drought was broken, though only the following months' being near/above norms confirmed the end.

Wx trivia:  Some locales in western VA got more RA in 5 hours from Camille's remnants than NYC had for all of 1965.