Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Occasional Thoughts on Climate Change

donsutherland1

8 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Sadly collectivism destroys personal autonomy to an unsustainable degree and makes life unfulfilling. I wish It was not true we are not wired for some deeper collective spirit.

We will just need to let go of pipe dreams.

capitalism and oligarchy only work for the very rich, if things become any more unstable we're going to see a civil war in this country, the current system here is completely unsustainable

Personal autonomy-  Do you think humanity as a whole is smart enough to be allowed that luxury? I most certainly dont. Radical times require radical measures.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

I suppose you are correct. Maybe we just need to accept extinction there are various movements out there for precisely this reason.

I would take all the money from the rich- by force if necessary.  Sometimes the ends do justify the means, and this is one of those cases.  We've tried being nice it doesn't work and sometimes a little violence is required.  Or a lot.  It doesn't really matter as long as the needed outcome is attained.

13 minutes ago, Jonger said:

That's never worked when tried on small scales, we need a global scale for this to work.

Yes we do precisely why we need a global government.  We're going to have a massive war for this to happen.  I can see this coming from miles away.  This massive war will happen during the next few decades, probably the 2030s and it'll make this pandemic seem like a playground.  The rich will lose everything and nature will do what it does- increase entropy by leveling the playing field.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Sadly collectivism destroys personal autonomy to an unsustainable degree and makes life unfulfilling. I wish It was not true we are not wired for some deeper collective spirit.

We will just need to let go of pipe dreams.

then we need to rewire the human mind.  Science can do that.

A few of us are saying out loud what many people are already thinking.  There's going to be a lot of bad for pretty much all of humanity because this was put off for so many decades.  The pandemic is going to be looked on fondly as the good old days, by the time 2030 gets here, if not before.  Mark my words..... as sure as the sun rises and sets, this will happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

all that money Manchin takes from the fossil fuel cartels, he must be sniffing it if he doesn't understand the MUCH greater threat of climate disasters to children and grandchildren, who will revile him for saying things like this.  Manchin and Sinema are DINOs in every sense of the word.

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1425453857543442439

A few of us are saying out loud what many people are already thinking.  There's going to be a lot of bad for pretty much all of humanity because this was put off for so many decades.  The pandemic is going to be looked on fondly as the good old days, by the time 2030 gets here, if not before.  Mark my words..... as sure as the sun rises and sets, this will happen.

The ETs will be taking over at some point with their hybrids already in place waiting for the word to start the failed experiment over.
  • Haha 1

My Ford F150 EV will be ready Spring 2022. 

Watch the local truck fanboys start the big migration as they get dusted from each stop lights.

4.5 sec 0-60 EV versus 8.0 sec 0-60 gas pickups.

2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-front-three-qu

Solar panel output and pricing should take care of the rest and outside of my winter fun, which even this just got released. 

Ekko_v4_01.png

This thing is a monster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

all that money Manchin takes from the fossil fuel cartels, he must be sniffing it if he doesn't understand the MUCH greater threat of climate disasters to children and grandchildren, who will revile him for saying things like this.  Manchin and Sinema are DINOs in every sense of the word.

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1425453857543442439

You're getting too hung up on individuals. 

The Rav4 is the best selling vehicle today, the hybrid version (I bought it) is faster, gets better MPGs and has a better AWD system. It's a better version of the vehicle, but -- guess what? The gas version sells better because it costs $3500 less.

Manchin isn't the problem.

8 hours ago, Jonger said:

You're getting too hung up on individuals. 

The Rav4 is the best selling vehicle today, the hybrid version (I bought it) is faster, gets better MPGs and has a better AWD system. It's a better version of the vehicle, but -- guess what? The gas version sells better because it costs $3500 less.

Manchin isn't the problem.

these prices need to go down and fast, since we'll be at 50 pct electric vehicles by 2030 according to govt and vehicle manufacturers

8 hours ago, Jonger said:

My Ford F150 EV will be ready Spring 2022. 

Watch the local truck fanboys start the big migration as they get dusted from each stop lights.

4.5 sec 0-60 EV versus 8.0 sec 0-60 gas pickups.

2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-front-three-qu

Solar panel output and pricing should take care of the rest and outside of my winter fun, which even this just got released. 

Ekko_v4_01.png

This thing is a monster.

that truck is what I want.  should be excellent in the snow and climbing hills and such

9 hours ago, Bhs1975 said:

The ETs will be taking over at some point with their hybrids already in place waiting for the word to start the failed experiment over.

haha we were expecting the hybrids to arrive, but the hybrids that are arriving are not quite the ones we thought.....

It's like To Serve Man all over again lol

36 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

They're late to the punch. It's already happened twice in the last couple of weeks. EOSDIS shows that pretty well. And I don't know about the "first time" part. Been some pretty big fire seasons up there the past few years.

it has def happened previous years

https://twitter.com/i/events/1425823798733856768

Europe is going to eliminate short haul continental airplane trips with super high speed trains- we should be doing this too.  Limit airplanes to overseas (literally overseas) travel.  Maglev, hyperloop, etc. can use existing rail technology and are zero emission!

• Like 1

air pollution is still the leading cause of death and shortening life expectancy, worse than tobacco, thats why NY just switched to electric trucks, replacing diesel and so-called "natural" gas (methane), to control the NO2 pollution and the high rates of asthma because of trucks going in and out of the city.  NY and CA have now both switched to electric trucks, it's about time!

On 8/12/2021 at 3:31 PM, LibertyBell said:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1425823798733856768

Europe is going to eliminate short haul continental airplane trips with super high speed trains- we should be doing this too.  Limit airplanes to overseas (literally overseas) travel.  Maglev, hyperloop, etc. can use existing rail technology and are zero emission!

We won’t do shit about climate change. Oh, the government might try to implement some changes but I have zero faith that a population that can not even agree to wear a mask during a pandemic will make major changes in their way of life to save the planet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jburns said:

We won’t do shit about climate change. Oh, the government might try to implement some changes but I have zero faith that a population that can not even agree to wear a mask during a pandemic will make major changes in their way of life to save the planet.

The trade press is reporting surging Asian coal shipments and notes parenthetically that China is building more coal power plants than currently exist in the rest of the world outside of the US and India.

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/asia-coal-demand-surge-in-stark-contrast-with-u-n-climate-warning/

I guess they are skeptical about the seriousness of climate change.

The trade press is reporting surging Asian coal shipments and notes parenthetically that China is building more coal power plants than currently exist in the rest of the world outside of the US and India.
https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/asia-coal-demand-surge-in-stark-contrast-with-u-n-climate-warning/
I guess they are skeptical about the seriousness of climate change.

Yeap headed for extinction on a soon to be uninhabitable planet.

6 hours ago, Bhs1975 said:

Think that is over the top, extinction is not in the cards even with the outlier scenarios.

Huge losses and major disruptions though are pretty much baked in the cake.

We could help keep the damage to a minimum, but would need to convince China and India that climate change has greater risks than dire poverty.

Thus far, that has been a ' no sale'.

Ideally, there would to be an alternative, ideally a cheap and reliable nuclear power design, fusion, fission or whatever. so no greenhouse emissions and the capacity to power an electric surface transportation system. Nothing has materialized as yet though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bhs1975 said:

Good evening Bhs. If your scenario is correct, uninhabitable would apply to the sentient enablers. Other life forms could survive and eventually the innocent would inhabit and thrive. As always…..

• Thanks 1

Think that is over the top, extinction is not in the cards even with the outlier scenarios.
Huge losses and major disruptions though are pretty much baked in the cake.
We could help keep the damage to a minimum, but would need to convince China and India that climate change has greater risks than dire poverty.
Thus far, that has been a ' no sale'.
Ideally, there would to be an alternative, ideally a cheap and reliable nuclear power design, fusion, fission or whatever. so no greenhouse emissions and the capacity to power an electric surface transportation system. Nothing has materialized as yet though.

If we see several degrees C of temperature rise then civilization would collapse with the eventual extinction of any remnant populations on a planet to hot to adapt to.