• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Woke up and found nothing new additional on the ground and the band over Niagara Falls. Lmfao what a joke. No one called for the band to still be this far north at this time. No meteorologist, no model. I knew yesterday when I looked back and saw how far upstream winds were still SW to SSW that this thing was gonna be north and for quite a while. What a joke here in the Southtowns. When that band finally does drop south it’s gonna fly right through South Buffalo, Lackawanna, West Seneca and settle over Hamburg and OP just like that map from channel 7 somebody posted that the blue minimum right over us as usual. Erg this sucks. I’m trying not to complain because I know there’s some on here who are having a lot worse of a season than I, but it’s frustrating when it seems like a big one is near and we have 2” for the event while 8 miles to my north is at about 14-16” and the band shows no signs of dropping south anytime soon. Those maps the NWS put out yesterday of 24-30”+ right over my head really got me going now too because I’ll make a bet right now that South Buffalo and West Seneca see less than 8” total for the event and I’ll go ahead and say Amherst jackpots for northtowns with 25” and Hamburg jackpots to our south with 28” once the band finally does shift south and locks in. So frustrating but I guess that’s lake effect... okay end rant. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Band shifting quickly now. 

Yep right on schedule! Through the transition zone to settle into the deeper Southtowns. Few more years and I’m out of West Seneca and never looking back! 

And dont feel bad Dave, Ive only got 2 inches and I’m  8 miles away from the areas that got 20”+ .

• Haha 2

Just eyeballing until I go out to measure but looks like another 3” overnight so close around 6” total so far... Morning AFD from BUF. Guess we’ll have to see how long it sits over us and how intense it can get!

Before we get into the details about temperatures and the brutal
wind chill values...lets address the potentially paralyzing lake
snows.

As of 12z...a 220 flow was in the process of veering to 230-240 in
the wake of an arctic cold front that cleared the Niagara Frontier
within the past two hours. This will allow a somewhat disorganized
twin band of moderately heavy lake snow to consolidate into a single
plume of heavy steady lake snow that will sit over the BUF metro
area and its immediate suburbs for several hours this morning. The
band is forecast to settle a bit further south this afternoon...
concentrating its impacts on the Southtowns and southern parts of
BUF metro. Snowfall rates of one to two inches an hour will
accompany the band...with rates of 3 inches an hour possible. If
this were a November or December band...rates could even be higher
due to stronger convergence over an even warmer lake. While the
convective depth will be over 10k feet by midday... the extent of
the frigid air will actually limit snow accumulations. Rather than
having large dendrites like the band had overnight...the shrinking
dendritic growth zone will lead to more plates and columns...which
are more dense and accumulate at a somewhat slower rate.
Nevertheless...daytime snow accumulations will approach a foot near
the Buffalo metro area and points just south and east. The new snow
will combine with wind gusts to 40 mph so that significant blowing
and drifting will be likely. In other words...near blizzard
conditions can be expected at times.

Iteresting "case study" for me is as i'm still trying to figure out what wind direction i can succeed on lol

We have a 16" snow depth in DT Altmar and nearly double that here just south of "Richland", difference of about 3.5 miles..

Will start to look at the meso-models more closely, NWS going with 12"-20" tomorrow at the moment..

us_model-en-087-0_modusahd_2019013006_60_3586_215 (1).png

4 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yep right on schedule! Through the transition zone to settle into the deeper Southtowns. Few more years and I’m out of West Seneca and never looking back! 

And dont feel bad Dave, Ive only got 2 inches and I’m  8 miles away from the areas that got 20”+ .

Transition zone in effect till further notice.

7 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Im still at 1.4”. We never had a chance at this band until today all models showed SSW/sw flow until this afternoon. Wsw flow locks in from now until fri morning 

• Like 1

Slow it down kid! We still have all day here. Models missed the northern shift last night maybe they are too far south to early today? I’m thinking we’re still good for another 12”+ today!

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Slow it down kid! We still have all day here. Models missed the northern shift last night maybe they are too far south to early today? I’m thinking we’re still good for another 12”+ today!

Idk I think Ayuud I’d right. That band looks like it’s gonna fall off the lake and a new one will likely form just to our south. 

As of 12z...a 220 flow was in the process of veering to 230-240 in the wake of an arctic cold front that cleared the Niagara Frontier within the past two hours. This will allow a somewhat disorganized twin band of moderately heavy lake snow to consolidate into a single plume of heavy steady lake snow that will sit over the BUF metro area and its immediate suburbs for several hours this morning. The band is forecast to settle a bit further south this afternoon... concentrating its impacts on the Southtowns and southern parts of BUF metro. Snowfall rates of one to two inches an hour will accompany the band...with rates of 3 inches an hour possible. If this were a November or December band...rates could even be higher due to stronger convergence over an even warmer lake. While the convective depth will be over 10k feet by midday... the extent of the frigid air will actually limit snow accumulations. Rather than having large dendrites like the band had overnight...the shrinking dendritic growth zone will lead to more plates and columns...which are more dense and accumulate at a somewhat slower rate. Nevertheless...daytime snow accumulations will approach a foot near the Buffalo metro area and points just south and east. The new snow will combine with wind gusts to 40 mph so that significant blowing and drifting will be likely. In other words...near blizzard conditions can be expected at times.

7 minutes ago, ayuud11 said:

I don’t blame Devin man just look at that snow hole right over W.Seneca lol akQ3MPo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Our seasonal snowfall is pretty similar, just a few inches apart. I guess we will see what this event gives. I think the band locks in on Metro into southtowns until tomorrow. KBUF has more snow then the immediate southtowns this year. Have to go to to EA, Boston, Colden to get more. OP/West Seneca/Hamburg/Eden all have less then KBUF. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Our seasonal snowfall is pretty similar, just a few inches apart. I guess we will see what this event gives. I think the band locks in on Metro into southtowns until tomorrow. KBUF has more snow then the immediate southtowns this year. Have to go to to EA, Boston, Colden to get more. OP/West Seneca/Hamburg/Eden all have less then KBUF. 

That's just a regression to climo anyway. The last several years have been very southtowns oriented, more so than climo would suggest. BUF and west seneca are almost the same climo, I think OP and Hamburg would be a bit more than BUF. 

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

That's just a regression to climo anyway. The last several years have been very southtowns oriented, more so than climo would suggest. BUF and west seneca are almost the same climo, I think OP and Hamburg would be a bit more than BUF. 

Disagree, Hamburg gets much more then KBUF. Go look at Buffalo snowstorm book, so many huge Southtown events compared to KBUF. I’d say we average 125-130” a year. KBUF 95-100”. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Disagree, Hamburg gets much more then KBUF. Go look at Buffalo snowstorm book, so many huge Southtown events compared to KBUF. I’d say we average 125-130” a year. KBUF 95-100”. 

Depends where, I think. Out by southwestern its only a bit more, but it increases as you get further east and go up in elevation.