• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

My Davis Wx station took a beating as its not recording any data but wind, lol as the anemometer's been overworked these past couple days.  Ill probably have to reset her but shes old too, about 10 yrs but the first wireless one that was avail back then.

The one thing I also notice during these events, once they pass and the Synoptic moisture gets stripped away, ids the Sun usually shines through the low thin clouds but with the SNG being so close to the ground, almost any moisture trapped underneath the inversion, will fall as pixie dust snow as this happens quite often with a Super Arctic air mass like the one over us now!

I also notice all the models, excluding the NAM, as thats the furthest South but still not enough, as they are trying to drive a low pressure into all this snow cover over NYS with a retreating Arctic HP and its  not like its a stale air mass, cause its definitely not, so my guess is that this short lived system for Wed rides along the baroclinic zone where the deepest snow-cover lies but I may be wrong but Ive seen it too many times so we'll see.  With each subsequent run, the models are ticking South

Just a reminder, this is the storm thread. Every other forum has them, I figured we definitely have enough posters now to create a seperate thread for a particular storm. It definitely worked out, I mean we are on 52 pages. The other thread is for the upcoming events/les/etc...

It makes it easier to go back and look at all the bigger events for our region instead of sifting through 60-70 pages of general discussions. 

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/51944-upstateeastern-new-york/

• Like 1

Well, that was a fun and fairly long lasting event (at least for the South shore counties).  I put 225 miles on the Tundra from about 9am Saturday until noon today, and nearly every single one of those was in 4 Wheel Drive!  I got up around 730am today and drove from Gates to Long Pond, then over to Ontario in Wayne County (along the lake the entire way).  I then doubled back and drove down through the carnage on the side streets in downtown Rochester and in the park ave area (Cars completely buried).  I will concede that the lake response was better than I expected, yet still not quite to Tim's hype level. So maybe we compromise?  It was localized though so I'm sure some place from here to Oswego did well last night.

Some observations.  Directly along the lake conditions were intense with frequent ground based whiteouts, fog, and continually changing intensity of snow as I drove along and through the roll convection.  It was pretty awesome and a very fun drive, I highly recommend it.  Snow depths peaked about 2 miles in land then dropped again around 5-7 miles inland.  Temps along the shore were 8f while just inland quickly dropped to about 3f or colder.  Somewhere in Webster seemed to get the most lake effect (for the route I chose) and I would eyeball about 6 inches on top of the main storm amount so they were probably pushing 16-20 on the ground which was impressive.  Unfortunately, the lake effect was barely able to make it to my backyard, however I'm happy with just snow in the air and snow covered roads. 

My storm totals:

• Saturday Start of event - 5pm - 3 inches
  • Saturday 5pm -12am - 4 inches
  • Sunday 12am - 6am - 5 inches
  • Sunday 6am - 4pm - 1 inch
  • Sunday int Monday 4pm to 12pm - 2 inches ( I was too tired to clear it last night)

15 inches total with 12 on the ground as compaction continues, but a very dense snowpack none the less.  And I got 3 inches of lake effect which is 1 more than I expected.  

IMG_2900.thumb.JPG.353c47ec47b224d33f5c81cdff6e9665.JPG

Some Snowy Kickball to start off the storm

IMG_2904.thumb.JPG.717ae0b6638dca4e34b83152b1722416.JPG

A frigid trip to Bristol in search of POW.  It was good but hard work and bone chilling cold

IMG_2905.thumb.JPG.39ea1327971c7ca13f442eeec80dd0bc.JPG

Trip along Lake Ontario, visibility was worse than the camera shows

IMG_2911.thumb.JPG.2e965bdc001de529f8c97779bc4574d0.JPG

Buried cars on the side streets of Rochester

IMG_2913.thumb.JPG.e51012a9d5f7aae3bbd4ab311bc392c7.JPG

The way a Tundra should look!

• Like 4