• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 'Tis the Season Banter Thread 2018-2019

Carvers Gap

This year you can't trust models 2-5 days out that show snow, let alone 7+ apparently. It's so weird too that two years in a row we get extremely cold but can't get the northern stream to swing anything across the area. They keep getting modeled in the 5 day range but as they get closer they just go away on the models. 

10 years ago if the GFS showed a threat within 5 days, it was a pretty solid bet that it would happen, especially if it showed an event south/east of here. Somehow things have gotten worse the higher the model resolution. The FV3 is still giving me 3+ inches tomorrow night. It is, from what I understand, the highest resolution model ever made for range with the ability to model individual clouds, but it is either struggling with this next system or it's going to pull one hell of a coup.

Yes Tennessee experience shows. 

56 minutes ago, Math/Met said:

I agree. I’m a Kentucky fan, so I don’t enjoy saying this. I really think UT has been the best team all year. Duke is the most talented, but the experience and chemistry that UT plays with gives them the edge in my opinion.

I try to be realistic when it comes to Kentucky. The first half of the season was ugly at times, but I’m starting to see signs that this Kentucky team is figuring it out. They just can't get everyone playing at a high level at the same time. UK will still have some ugly games at times the rest of the season, but I think they could make some noise in March (I hope). 

Big game Saturday Kansas at Kentucky. At Rupp, I have to pick Kentucky. Cal will definitely get Kentucky ready by tournament time. Always does. My Jayhawks need some real Self Magic to make up for losing Azubuike. We have some young talent, but they are green.

Hopefully our season does not turn out as disappointing as the FV3, lol!

19 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Yes Tennessee experience shows. 

Big game Saturday Kansas at Kentucky. At Rupp, I have to pick Kentucky. Cal will definitely get Kentucky ready by tournament time. Always does. My Jayhawks need some real Self Magic to make up for losing Azubuike. We have some young talent, but they are green.

Hopefully our season does not turn out as disappointing as the FV3, lol!

That should be a great game. Of the other top programs, I actually have the most respect for Kansas.  I've always liked Self.  Duke and UNC are the programs that I dislike the most. It drives me crazy to see all of the bandwagon Duke “fans” in this area. The kind of people that are football fans of another program but are Duke fans in basketball.  I’m sure UT fans feel the same way about all the bandwagon Alabama football fans in this area. My father and grandfather were huge Kentucky fans, so I didn't have much of a choice. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I can't deal with it again this spring. Hopefully it's just the normal final warming event. Come March 15, I'm ready for Spring this year. Doesn't mean I don't want snow in spring though...

Man, I was sitting at the water heater plant in Johnson City on what should have been a warm spring day...in a snow squall.  Had to drag a half-full water heater out of my basement door, and tote the new one in....all the while it felt like mid-January.  Had to rent a Ryder in order to transport it.  Felt like a sailboat on I-26.  When we go spring...time to go spring.  That was fun one time....second time becomes an ordeal.  I have a feeling when this flips warm...we are done.  I am going to enjoy my ten days of winter, and then hope we get one shot at a storm for the forum area after that.

• Like 2

Probably one of the best individual performances that I have seen by an individual in UT athletics.  There have been some great ones for sure.  But this one ranks up there.  23 for 23 from the line?  Are you kidding me?  Our defense was not the best.  That said, Vandy played a great game.  They get a ton of credit.  That was a street fight right there.  Neither team was going to fold.

• Like 3

Tennessee game was a barn burner. Vandy rose to the occasion at home, but not enough this time. I did not see the whole game, but UT defense was strong when it mattered. Williams is a stud. Wow!

Saturday Tennessee hosts West Virginia in the SEC Big 12 challenge. Please beat UWV! So many great games on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nrgjeff said:

Tennessee game was a barn burner. Vandy rose to the occasion at home, but not enough this time. I did not see the whole game, but UT defense was strong when it mattered. Williams is a stud. Wow!

Saturday Tennessee hosts West Virginia in the SEC Big 12 challenge. Please beat UWV! So many great games on Saturday.

Tennessee needs to defend the 3pt line better, but I saw some advanced stats that luck is playing into it as well. Bad luck in this case. Across the NCAA teams make 37 percent of 3s when there's not a defender within 3 feet. Vandy and Alabama managed to get about 25 of those the last two games (way too many) but managed to make them at a 53 percent clip. 16 percentage points higher than that shot would typically yield. Even then and with Admiral in a slump, Tennessee still beats teams like Vandy and Alabaca. Grant fouling out and Admiral having a bad game was too much against Kansas, so the Vols dropped that one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Tennessee needs to defend the 3pt line better, but I saw some advanced stats that luck is playing into it as well. Bad luck in this case. Across the NCAA teams make 37 percent of 3s when there's not a defender within 3 feet. Vandy and Alabama managed to get about 25 of those the last two games (way too many) but managed to make them at a 53 percent clip. 16 percentage points higher than that shot would typically yield. Even then and with Admiral in a slump, Tennessee still beats teams like Vandy and Alabaca. Grant fouling out and Admiral having a bad game was too much against Kansas, so the Vols dropped that one. 

Agree, i kept thinking in the second half and wondering if Vandy was going to miss.  It seems they went a 8 or 9 minute stretch without a missed shot, including several threes.  D was suspect, but late in the game i thought it was pretty good.  They kept making Vandy use the entire shot clock and were in great position for several late in the shot clock shots, but Vandy just kept making them.  Williams put the team on his back last night.  One of the best performances I have seen in quite some time in the second half.

Most consecutive free throws made in an NCAA game since 1960 by Williams. The record was 24..he was 100% with 23 taken.  He beat Pistol's SEC record.  To be in an away gym knocking down free throws with the game on the line(time after time) was just awesome.  It was the first 40+ point game by a Tennessee player since 1990.  30+ NBA scouts were reportedly in attendance.  Hope we keep Grant for another year.  I know it was a close game, but winning on the road at Florida and Vandy is no joke.  Memorial has a massive history of #1 teams being beaten.  UT has a win over the Zags on a neutral court as well as on over the 'Ville.  The Kansas loss will be in the "good loss" column both in the selection committee's eyes and just in playing a high caliber opponent early and setting the tone.  The toughest stretch of SEC games remain.  They should be ready by tourney time, and likely will get beat a few times as well(not the end of the world...going to happen if in a Power 5 conference).  Hopefully folks really appreciate this team...as Ainge said this AM on Knoxville radio, this team is probably the easiest in sports to pull for.  (edit)

• Like 1

I wish Grant the best no matter what he decides next season. I don't really seem him being an NBA player though. He's the type of player that's great in college but there isn't a position for him in the NBA any more. Even bigger guys than Grant who play back to the basket ball don't really do much in the NBA. There's been a multitude of them from Duke who don't cut it in today's NBA, now the league is all about hitting 3 pointers, not 12 foot jumpers. I'm not sure Grant is good enough from long range to attract a lot of attention there. Admiral however, with his ability to shoot from deep and get up and down the floor probably helped his draft stock a good bit by coming back. I actually think the best pro prospect on the team may be Jordan Bowden.  He can handle it, has good size, can get to the rim and shoots it well from 3. He also plays very good defense. Regarding the defensive stats I mentioned earlier, Lamonte Turner was the worst offender of letting his man make shots over the last few games. Bowden on the other hand, had held his guys to 4-16 from the field.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I wish Grant the best no matter what he decides next season. I don't really seem him being an NBA player though. He's the type of player that's great in college but there isn't a position for him in the NBA any more. Even bigger guys than Grant who play back to the basket ball don't really do much in the NBA. There's been a multitude of them from Duke who don't cut it in today's NBA, now the league is all about hitting 3 pointers, not 12 foot jumpers. I'm not sure Grant is good enough from long range to attract a lot of attention there. Admiral however, with his ability to shoot from deep and get up and down the floor probably helped his draft stock a good bit by coming back. I actually think the best pro prospect on the team may be Jordan Bowden.  He can handle it, has good size, can get to the rim and shoots it well from 3. He also plays very good defense. Regarding the defensive stats I mentioned earlier, Lamonte Turner was the worst offender of letting his man make shots over the last few games. Bowden on the other hand, had held his guys to 4-16 from the field.

The most NBA ready player on the roster is likely Jordan Bone.  Bowden has a ton of potential though, no doubt.  I may be in the minority, but I think Williams game will translate well at the next level.  He has a big body and knows how to use it.  He's also very quick, can elevate quick and has all the tools necessary to play from 15 feet and in.  Plus you can't measure heart and desire and that kid has it in spades.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

The most NBA ready player on the roster is likely Jordan Bone.  Bowden has a ton of potential though, no doubt.  I may be in the minority, but I think Williams game will translate well at the next level.  He has a big body and knows how to use it.  He's also very quick, can elevate quick and has all the tools necessary to play from 15 feet and in.  Plus you can't measure heart and desire and that kid has it in spades.

He's a great player but the NBA is all copying the Golden State/Houston way these days. Grant 25 years ago is Larry Johnson with a long NBA career. Grant now may never get to play in the league. Grant scored 43 last night without making a 3. I doubt anyone in the SEC besides maybe Shaq has scored 40+ since the 3 point line without making a 3.