Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 'Tis the Season Banter Thread 2018-2019

Carvers Gap

33 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

If I had to pick a basketball national champion today, I'd give Tennessee higher odds than Kansas

KU the last two weeks has been as frustrating as watching 11-15 day model runs.

Hopefully the ECMWF weeklies are right. Hopefully KU can play with some intensity.

Vols should have no problem rollin' through the SEC.I thought Auburn was going to be much better,but so far i'm not very impressed

• Like 1

If Grant Williams can learn to control his foul situation in big games, we will have a good shot as making the final 4. He also tends to get one absolutely bogus foul call per game when even a blind man in a coal mine could see it's not a foul. So that makes avoiding other silly ones paramount. That said, we will have off nights and Auburn, Kentucky, Alabama, Miss State, LSU and some others are capable of beating Tennessee.

16 minutes ago, John1122 said:

If Grant Williams can learn to control his foul situation in big games, we will have a good shot as making the final 4. He also tends to get one absolutely bogus foul call per game when even a blind man in a coal mine could see it's not a foul. So that makes avoiding other silly ones paramount. That said, we will have off nights and Auburn, Kentucky, Alabama, Miss State, LSU and some others are capable of beating Tennessee.

Sooner or later you'd think Ky and it's diversity of getting these 5 star players then losing them to the NBA draft would catch up to them,i think this year has finally caught up with them.It's tough to me to look at standings before conference play,so many cheese games played.The Vols are the cream of the crop right now.Alabama could be the sleeper of the conference,i like Avery Johnson he's gonna be a good coach as he was a NBA player,he showed that beating Ky. in the SEC opener.

35 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Sooner or later you'd think Ky and it's diversity of getting these 5 star players then losing them to the NBA draft would catch up to them,i think this year has finally caught up with them.It's tough to me to look at standings before conference play,so many cheese games played.The Vols are the cream of the crop right now.Alabama could be the sleeper of the conference,i like Avery Johnson he's gonna be a good coach as he was a NBA player,he showed that beating Ky. in the SEC opener.

It's tough on the road in the SEC and Tennessee has had more than it's share of trouble with Alabama over the years. Georgia had given UT a lot of grief recently too, but this game was a big shift. They have some rebuilding to do. Otherwise I believe all the SEC games were tight yesterday. Tennessee's best asset is that it has almost no weaknesses. Kansas probably did the best job with UT this year so far with exploiting the few they have, and that was both getting Grant in foul trouble and playing good defense on Admiral, at the time UT didn't have much punch behind those two. Him being off and Williams out of the game cost UT in overtime. Ironically, losing Turner  has let Jordan Bone get a lot of minutes and he's stepped up and turned into one of the best PGs in the league, giving UT and 3rd solid punch who can score.  UT did get Turner back yesterday, hopefully he can get back into form over the next few weeks and it doesn't take much away from Bone.

I know right. 

21 hours ago, John1122 said:

Big 12 refs do that crap to Kansas big men too. Azubuike usually fouls out, but that is a blessing in disguise considering his free throws. Embiid (now NBA Sixers) always got bad fouls called on him too. Hopefully SEC refs will watch a little closer.

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Stings a bit knowing that Lawrence grew up as a TN fan.  Butch Jones didn't want to adapt to his skills.  Weather looks nice out there in Cali though.

Didn’t he grow up in the Tri-Cities area before moving to Georgia? It would have been fun to watch him play locally in high school if he would have stayed here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Math/Met said:

Didn’t he grow up in the Tri-Cities area before moving to Georgia? It would have been fun to watch him play locally in high school if he would have stayed here.

I think that is correct.  Losing him will rank up there with some great misses in recruiting with respect to Tennessee football...Spurrier a similar situation.  It was remarkable what Lawrence was doing with the football last night...great decisions, strong/accurate arm, limited mistakes, made big plays, reading Bama's multiple look defense/blitzes, and was cool under pressure.  Not to mention that Higgins and Rogers both played their high school football in Knoxville.  Ugh....that hurts just typing it.  But Clemson showed how to beat an SEC defense...spread them out and put your best receivers running into the middle with LBs covering them...read or heard that this AM.  Very true.  But it doesn't hurt to have Sunshine(compliment intended) slinging it either behind a stellar offensive front.

23 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I think that is correct.  Losing him will rank up there with some great misses in recruiting with respect to Tennessee football...Spurrier a similar situation.  It was remarkable what Lawrence was doing with the football last night...great decisions, strong/accurate arm, limited mistakes, made big plays, reading Bama's multiple look defense/blitzes, and was cool under pressure.  Not to mention that Higgins and Rogers both played their high school football in Knoxville.  Ugh....that hurts just typing it.  But Clemson showed how to beat an SEC defense...spread them out and put your best receivers running into the middle with LBs covering them...read or heard that this AM.  Very true.  But it doesn't hurt to have Sunshine(compliment intended) slinging it either behind a stellar offensive front.

I’m not a UT fan, but I was thinking about that last night. Tennessee would be a completely different team the next couple years if they had those guys from East TN. You could also add Mays (Georgia) to that list.  On the bright side for you guys, I think Pruitt is a major upgrade and the state of TN seems to be producing a lot more talent these days.  

6 minutes ago, Math/Met said:

I’m not a UT fan, but I was thinking about that last night. Tennessee would be a completely different team the next couple years if they had those guys from East TN. You could also add Mays (Georgia) to that list.  On the bright side for you guys, I think Pruitt is a major upgrade and the state of TN seems to be producing a lot more talent these days.  

I agree with all points.  If UT can land Wright and Russell in February, he has set a great foundation.  SEC size and speed.  Hey, I ran into a lady who lives near Camp Creek while eating Sunday evening.  Among other things, she basically said half jokingly that everyone gets new lawn furniture(the neighbors) with each mountain wave event...and she even knew the term, mountain wave!  

59 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I agree with all points.  If UT can land Wright and Russell in February, he has set a great foundation.  SEC size and speed.  Hey, I ran into a lady who lives near Camp Creek while eating Sunday evening.  Among other things, she basically said half jokingly that everyone gets new lawn furniture(the neighbors) with each mountain wave event...and she even knew the term, mountain wave!  

True, you don’t see a lot of lawn furniture or Christmas decorations in that area.  My family learned our lesson with Christmas decorations the first year we moved to southern Greene Co. We tried to reinforce them, but it still didn’t work.

I think MRX and local TV meteorologists have done a good job in recent years of explaining mountain waves.  When I was a kid, people in that area just referred to it as the “south winds”. At that time, there could be 80+ mph winds in Camp Creek and there wouldn’t even be a Wind Advisory issued.  It is such a localized event and there wasn't a wind tower yet, so MRX didn't even know about it.

• Like 1

While reading an article about the shutdown effecting accuracy of the current weather forecasts, I came across this article talking about a new IBM weather model they claim is 200 percent more accurate than others. I'm not sure if it is something that is/will be available to the public or what.

IBM has figured out a way to improve the way we predict the weather.

The company’s ability to provide better forecasts worldwide will be highlighted by IBM CEO Ginni Rometty when she delivers the keynote address at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show on Tuesday. The Global High-Resolution Atmospheric Forecasting System, or GRAF, will use IBM supercomputers to aggregate data from millions of sources, including the smartphones of Weather Channel app users (on an opt-in basis), to more-accurately predict the weather. GRAF will be rolled out later this year.

The company, which owns The Weather Channel, has its own interests in improving forecasting, but Rometty reminded USA Today that IBM is also involved in more day-to-day transactions than consumers typically realize: “Your ATM doesn’t work without us, you can’t get an airline ticket without us, you cannot charge your car through your gas without us, you (won’t have a) supply at Walmart without us. We really are underneath almost all of it.”

The new tool will have implications for businesses and consumers alike, especially in regions where accurate, reliable, and up-to-date weather forecasts are not available. According to Rometty, adverse weather saw the loss of $500 billion in economic value last year.

The decision to double down on collecting data from consumers’ phones is a bold one for IBM, whose subsidiary The Weather Channel was sued on Friday by the city of Los Angeles for allegedly collecting and selling users’ data under false pretences. The app asks permission to collect data, but informs the user that it’s needed to provide “personalized local weather data, alerts and forecasts,” without mentioning other uses of the data.

Rommety is also expected to highlight IBM’s forays into a cloud-based platform where users can debate an AI, as well as the company’s efforts to be more inclusive.

• Like 1

I posted wondering which would happen first, who knew it'd be a tie?

Cheney is a good coach, we couldn't win games his first time here, but he built a high scoring offense.  Just couldn't stop anyone and lost shoot out games. If Pruitt can build a defense around his offense UT should be much improved in the coming years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I posted wondering which would happen first, who knew it'd be a tie?

Cheney is a good coach, we couldn't win games his first time here, but he built a high scoring offense.  Just couldn't stop anyone and lost shoot out games. If Pruitt can build a defense around his offense UT should be much improved in the coming years. 

I was thinking exactly that when posting my comment.  LOL!  Crazy!

17 hours ago, John1122 said:
While reading an article about the shutdown effecting accuracy of the current weather forecasts, I came across this article talking about a new IBM weather model they claim is 200 percent more accurate than others. I'm not sure if it is something that is/will be available to the public or what.

IBM has figured out a way to improve the way we predict the weather.

The company’s ability to provide better forecasts worldwide will be highlighted by IBM CEO Ginni Rometty when she delivers the keynote address at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show on Tuesday. The Global High-Resolution Atmospheric Forecasting System, or GRAF, will use IBM supercomputers to aggregate data from millions of sources, including the smartphones of Weather Channel app users (on an opt-in basis), to more-accurately predict the weather. GRAF will be rolled out later this year.

The company, which owns The Weather Channel, has its own interests in improving forecasting, but Rometty reminded USA Today that IBM is also involved in more day-to-day transactions than consumers typically realize: “Your ATM doesn’t work without us, you can’t get an airline ticket without us, you cannot charge your car through your gas without us, you (won’t have a) supply at Walmart without us. We really are underneath almost all of it.”

The new tool will have implications for businesses and consumers alike, especially in regions where accurate, reliable, and up-to-date weather forecasts are not available. According to Rometty, adverse weather saw the loss of $500 billion in economic value last year.

The decision to double down on collecting data from consumers’ phones is a bold one for IBM, whose subsidiary The Weather Channel was sued on Friday by the city of Los Angeles for allegedly collecting and selling users’ data under false pretences. The app asks permission to collect data, but informs the user that it’s needed to provide “personalized local weather data, alerts and forecasts,” without mentioning other uses of the data.

Rommety is also expected to highlight IBM’s forays into a cloud-based platform where users can debate an AI, as well as the company’s efforts to be more inclusive.

There's also this from IBM that came out today:
https://www-engadget-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2019/01/08/ibm-smartphone-improve-weather-forecasts/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.engadget.com%2F2019%2F01%2F08%2Fibm-smartphone-improve-weather-forecasts%2F

EDIT TO ADD:  Just noticed it's pretty much the same article.  My fault.  I couldn't read your entire post on my SMART Phone.