Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2018-19 Banter Thread

Ralph Wiggum

5 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Do you have a snowmaking machine? I've thought about it. I realize you're probably talking about a ski resort but you never know!

yes I'm an instructor at bear creek. Sadly I don't have a snow making machine. I've thought about building one, but the problem is getting air compressor up to the job. A good snowmaking machine uses 100's of cfm of compressed air. they are $$$. 

33 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

yes I'm an instructor at bear creek. Sadly I don't have a snow making machine. I've thought about building one, but the problem is getting air compressor up to the job. A good snowmaking machine uses 100's of cfm of compressed air. they are $$$. 

I saw what looked to be a decent back yard version for about $1500, compressor and a 2 gpm power washer included. I'm afraid I'd use it one season and the novelty would wear off. And all my grandkids are in Arizona, lol.

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I saw what looked to be a decent back yard version for about $1500, compressor and a 2 gpm power washer included. I'm afraid I'd use it one season and the novelty would wear off. And all my grandkids are in Arizona, lol.

Yeah its a lot of work often in poor conditions... thats why we have to pay people to do that job at the resort. 2 gpm of water is probably about 2/3 of a cubic yard of snow per hour. If you think about how much a yd^3 of mulch covers, its a little underwhelming. 

13 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Yeah its a lot of work often in poor conditions... thats why we have to pay people to do that job at the resort. 2 gpm of water is probably about 2/3 of a cubic yard of snow per hour. If you think about how much a yd^3 of mulch covers, its a little underwhelming. 

Could still be fun though!

16 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Its always 10 days away..its always 10 days away..its always 10 days away.

giphy.gif

Jan 15 has always been the date many have pointed to as the 'norm' el Nino December meh pattern into winter flip date.

GEFS now has the change within 8 days tho likely rushing it. EPS are closer to the Jan 15 but not stuck out in time any longer either. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

:P

download.jpg

Admittingly It doesn't look too promising but after what we went through last year at the end of winter I'm not giving up all hope just yet, Although it sucks to have the storms but only have snow on the ground for less then a week following them. Maybe we can this pattern change in here before February Fingers crossed

7 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

If winter fails it is going to be interesting listening to a certain meteorologist explain why his/her 200% above normal snowfall prediction for the mid-atlantic/northeast didn't work out. Although he won't be the only one doing some explaining.

Every local philly TV met went AN to much AN snowfall that I can recall. If any TV outlets went n to BN back in Oct or early Nov I would like to know who.

Reverse psych....start posting in hopes of early spring and sustained warmth. Plan plenty of outdoor activities, beach walks, and picnics from here on out. Usually when we start hoping for nice weather and plan nice things Mother Nature flips cold and wet. Never fails. I mean this sort of joking obviously but I did just book my beachfront hotel stay on a S NJ resort from Jan 27-30 and hoping the AN temp weather continues at this point. Might even break out the fishing rod for winter (ha) flounder. 

Certainly looking more delayed but will it be denied??? That is a classic JB response.

My winter temp forecast is certainly in a bit of trouble - but in this area it only takes a couple big events to get us to above normal snow and I remain confident one of these noreasters will thread the needle and/or tap into some of the colder air north of the border as even above normal temps in Mid Jan to Mid Feb can deliver a snow event or 2....

28 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Certainly looking more delayed but will it be denied??? That is a classic JB response.

My winter temp forecast is certainly in a bit of trouble - but in this area it only takes a couple big events to get us to above normal snow and I remain confident one of these noreasters will thread the needle and/or tap into some of the colder air north of the border as even above normal temps in Mid Jan to Mid Feb can deliver a snow event or 2....

Very true Paul. Look at 15-2016.. I finished almost 10 inches above average because of largely one storm. In this year, I think it's a higher than normal chance for something similar to occur. Maybe not a winter of yore but snow wise, I don't think anyone can ever say in this era of climate change that there's no shot for a big snow this winter or really any winter. 15-2016 had no business being an above average winter yet it was. Like I said in the other thread, I think it's becoming more likely we see a brief period of favorable looks where we will score either in the beginning or end with minor events possible in between. Not winter of yore but not a total blank. It is clear the pattern is certainly more delayed than anticipated as it looks like late January now at the earliest.