• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Hello all,

Nice start for the season. Only about 5" here in Edinboro PA, but was at the cabin all day at the PA/NY border at the start of the Chautauqua Ridge. About 11" out there I would say. Was heaviest overnight, woke up to about 8", then another 3 or so thru the day and early tonight.

Meanwhile, the clowns at ERI are at it again right off the bat regarding snowfall measurements. At the 5:00pm report, indicated 13.2" for the day:  http://w2.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=cle Not a freaking chance. I left the cabin about 6:30, drove up to and along the lake shore out to the from east Erie out to the airport. I would say there was maybe 5" otg? My friend said no more than 8" when it pretty much stopped by 2:00 pm and he cleared his driveway (about 3/4 of a mile from the airport). With settling/compacting, the 5 or 6 on the ground seems right. So once again, the airport is off by a staggering 38% or so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The eastern movement led by the NAM..

Nws Portland

Last nights model runs
trended more towards a coastal track and this is further
supported by the 12 UTC NAM. The 00 UTC GFS ensemble and the 12
UTC NAM are very similar moving the low over Cape Cod and then
along the Maine Coast. The 12 UTC GFS has continued its trend
toward the coastal track...however the 12 UTC ECMWF remains the
furthest west with a track across interior New England. The
ECMWF track is not climatologically favored but can`t be
discounted either.

fv3p_T850_us_13.png

gfs_T850_us_13.png

26 minutes ago, MAIDEsNow said:

Hello all,

Nice start for the season. Only about 5" here in Edinboro PA, but was at the cabin all day at the PA/NY border at the start of the Chautauqua Ridge. About 11" out there I would say. Was heaviest overnight, woke up to about 8", then another 3 or so thru the day and early tonight.

Meanwhile, the clowns at ERI are at it again right off the bat regarding snowfall measurements. At the 5:00pm report, indicated 13.2" for the day:  http://w2.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=cle Not a freaking chance. I left the cabin about 6:30, drove up to and along the lake shore out to the from east Erie out to the airport. I would say there was maybe 5" otg? My friend said no more than 8" when it pretty much stopped by 2:00 pm and he cleared his driveway (about 3/4 of a mile from the airport). With settling/compacting, the 5 or 6 on the ground seems right. So once again, the airport is off by a staggering 38% or so.

Keep the posts/pics coming! Love hearing from those on the ridge. Yeah, no chance that they got 13.2" down there. 

Oh man that's close but I'm gonna check some skew t's so I'll post some. You know what, there's really no need cause it looks like the thing went poof before my eyes, lol, or it's no where near what it was yesterday nevermind the day before, lol.  I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow's runs to see perhaps if things change cause if the GFS is right, we rain at lower elevations, but I don't know about the  Tug.  It turned into a puny thing unable to throw much moisture to it's NW, so IDK, but perhaps the Euro scores a coup. We'll see but the Euro is definitely West so......

It’s definitely not looking like a big deal. The NAM has a swath of snow well to the NW (think SW Ontario) and a dry slot over WNY followed by some mixing issues over CNY. An anemic looking mess. 

Doesnt dig and really scoots along. Looking more like a 2-4” mess as opposed to the 6-10” we were looking at yesterday. 

All that said, it still has potential. I’m not done tracking this one. Could get a boost from the lakes if it’s cold enough. 

All models are allowed a few off runs but man, for the last 5 days the GFS has been extremely consistent and a couple days before its lose's it, but it may just be the GFS being the GFS and losing it a few days out, so we'll see tomorrow. Been tracking this for 5 days, would never stop tracking till go time, lol!

So, predictably, NWS calls for 3-6" here overnight into Sunday afternoon.  Not sure what they are thinking as we have a) warm ground b) sfc temps >32,  c) SN- that melts fast and, d) no snowfall most of the time.  Unreal.

Tuesday looks like a slightly snowier version of Friday. A wet inch or so for most of us. Hills will have actual accumulation.  Its early.  Let's try again in December or January.

10 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Shear, I seriously doubt it, but Im curious who forecasted it? Show me where, link, cause I didn't read  that,  but it doesn't really matter, like I already said, its the 10th of Nov and I can wait!

It was mentioned in the AFD yesterday, and you could see wind barbs misaligned on yesterday’s skew t’s

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product=AFD&format=CI&version=10&glossary=1&highlight=off

7A5AF00E-09BA-4294-A00C-1BAAE659E7E5.jpeg

kbuf

Thermal profiles continue to suggest that this precipitation will
again fall as a mix of rain and snow, with rain at the onset...and
again Tuesday with some daytime warming. Snow with this low could
amount to several inches, but the rather fast forward speed of the
low combined with deeper moisture just to our east should limit the
overall snow. It will not be until after this surface low advances
to our north, across New England that the deeper colder air flows
over the Great Lakes with p-type becoming all snow.

Under cold air advection Tuesday night and into Wednesday a
northwest flow will drive lake effect snow bands across the western
So. Tier, and areas downwind of Lake Ontario...along the southern
Lake shoreline and Finger Lakes region. There is still some
uncertainty to the upstream lake connection potential, but it would
stand a fair chance that at some point both Lake Huron and Georgian
Bay could add additional moisture such that moderate to heavy bands
of lake effect snow become likely. The lake effect snow should peak
late Tuesday night and into Wednesday. Will continue to mention both
the synoptic snow Monday night/Tuesday...and the Lake Effect Snow
Tuesday night and Wednesday in the HWO...with likely lake effect
snow totaling more than synoptic snows

The models have come to a different solution for Thursday night,
this a shortwave deep across the South and within a long wave trough
over the eastern US developing a surface low again to the lee of the
Appalachians. If this solution pans out, the storm system will again
bring synoptic snow and a little rain to the area Thursday night
through Friday. Will have chance pops for this until better model
continuity develops. Behind this storm system, northwest flow will
again develop setting the stage for again lake effect snow down wind
of the Eastern Great Lakes Saturday.

Looking further ahead (just outside of this forecast period)...
colder air in the wake of the aforementioned system will continue to
build across our region and should nearly guarantee below normal
temperatures for both Sunday and Monday with lake effect snows.

7 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Tuesday’s storm is now so anemic that it is completely being disregarded and folks are already moving on to the next (unimpressive) threat. It was fun while it lasted.  

Who knows, maybe Ontario can throw us a little love on the backside. NW flow for a few hours. 

Many areas of Central NY look to get a few inches of snow in the Tuesday event.

• Like 1