Newest Member
    joxey
March 12th - 13th The It's Not Coming Storm Part 2

Rjay

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

The could possibly drop Western Suffolk from the Warning, but I think that's highly unlikely. Most guidance gives at least the Eastern 2/3rds of Suffolk warning criteria snowfall.

It’s mid March. What falls from the sky and what piles up on the ground will be entirely different. Hedge snowfall totals accordingly...

3 minutes ago, Doorman said:

usa_None_anim.gif.0186340472e74b542a5f847eea96611d.gif

Weenie Radar......maybe

Exteneded precip shield  ....go figure!!!

I know that you're looking at that growing precip in E PA thinking maybe. That's associated with the ULL moving through the lakes and was well modeled. That's forecasted to weaken as the SLP moves Eastward.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Tough forecast - Final Call

Light Pink - Coating - 1"

Light Blue - 1-3" - Locally 4"+

Dark Blue - 2-4" Locally 6"+

Green - 4-8" Locally 10"+

Red - 6-12" Locally 12"+

Black - 10-18" Locally 18"+

sketched_5aa6b7f958201.png

Dude that is a great map... I was going to draw one up this morning but didn't have time with work and such... u got me on the 2-4" locally 6+ thank you I appreciate it LOL

It’s mid March. What falls from the sky and what piles up on the ground will be entirely different. Hedge snowfall totals accordingly...

If that Artic ULL is a bit early, we could definitely get some enhanced precip back towards the West

Edit: of course your white rain comment still stands.

40 minutes ago, ZeeTwentyFour said:

Nope, sorry. Youngin here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's almost enough of a reason to call DYFS on your parents - completely irresponsible to raise your kids without showing them the classic late 70s/early 80s best comedies ever made, like Animal House, Stripes, Caddyshack, Airplane! and the Python movies.  I made sure our son had seen all of these by the time he was 13-14 - he loves them all.  

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Not sure about you, but I still have a base of snow on the ground from the past storm in western Suffolk. That, and happening largely overnight will preclude any sun angle concerns

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Red - 6-12" Locally 12"+

One minor point: a "line" can't be a snowfall range, i.e., I'm pretty sure you mean, for example, that between red and black is 6-12"/locally 12, not "red" is 6-12" and between green and resd is 4-8", locally 10", not "green" being that.  Assuming I have that right, looks like a pretty good map.  Also, if you're able to draw countours on the map, I assume you can type/write in text for each band - would be easier than having someone have to look between the text and the graphic. 

10 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Nice!  Should we assume all or at least 90% of that is snow falling while it's dark (i.e., do we know surface temps)?  That would be 3-5" for the vast majority of at least CNJ/NNJ and NYC, assuming they're all snow.  

It’ll be snow, but it seems to fall over a 12 hour period or so, so in the city it may not accumulate much. Depends how cold it gets overnight and if it can get to moderate intensity. I’m a little encouraged back into Nassau/W Suffolk with the recent small bumps west, but it’ll still probably be advisory level. 

7 minutes ago, weatherbear5 said:

Not sure about you, but I still have a base of snow on the ground from the past storm in western Suffolk. That, and happening largely overnight will preclude any sun angle concerns

Normally snow would tend to accumulate on frozen surfaces but putting our clocks forward an hour will make it difficult to accumulate any where on the subforum.

9 minutes ago, weatherbear5 said:

Agreed. And same here in northeast Nassau. 

50 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Remote but this is a setup where the models have screwed up before. They can view northern stream shortwaves as kickers and be wrong or misplace the low centers slightly due to convection.  You won’t see a January 2000 type error but a 70-100 mile gaff is possible 

70-100 miles is quite a long barbed spear.  Sorry, couldn't resist. We've certainly seen 50-100 mile shifts (considering the combination of where the low forms and then where it tracks) in the last 6-12 hours before an event, sometimes with great impact (Jan 15).  A 50-60 mile shift on most models gets NYC into the 6"+ snowfalls, while a 75-100 mile shift does the same for most of NNJ/CNJ (assuming one "lifts and shiifts" the precip exactly).  Would think a 50 mile shift is not outlandish, but that a 75 mile shift is extremely unlikely and a 100+ mile shift would be outlandish. 

Just now, RU848789 said:

70-100 miles is quite a long barbed spear.  Sorry, couldn't resist. We've certainly seen 50-100 mile shifts (considering the combination of where the low forms and then where it tracks) in the last 6-12 hours before an event, sometimes with great impact (Jan 15).  A 50-60 mile shift on most models gets NYC into the 6"+ snowfalls, while a 75-100 mile shift does the same for most of NNJ/CNJ (assuming one "lifts and shiifts" the precip exactly).  Would think a 50 mile shift is not outlandish, but that a 75 mile shift is extremely unlikely and a 100+ mile shift would be outlandish. 

It looks more difficult when you separate the variables, but they all play off one another. If the phase happens a bit earlier, the track comes a bit west, the precip shield enhances, and the arctic energy is given more time to inject. 

25 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Red - 6-12" Locally 12"+

So within each accumulation zone there can be spots that match the snowfall forecasted for two zones higher.  I believe the meteorological term for that is hedge.

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived