Total Members
    Most Online
    WXMal4
    Newest Member
    WXMal4
nrgjeff

Jan. 12-13, 2018 winter storm Nowcast and Forecast

12 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Only 0.3"-0.4" of snow on top of 0.1"-0.2" of ice in White Bluff. Earlier I was  ::bangingheadintowall:: bummed that the WSW wouldn't verify, but then I figured it doesn't take much snow to have a good time... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcmwnYIVIo

I wish you could have pulled more but you guys sure made the best of it!

18 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Only 0.3"-0.4" of snow on top of 0.1"-0.2" of ice so far in White Bluff. Earlier I was ::bangingheadintowall:: bummed that the WSW may not verify, but then I figured it doesn't take much snow to have a good time...

Also looks like you're about to get another band. Hopefully it lays down an inch or more. With the frigid temps it should start being pretty high ratio stuff.

37 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Only 0.3"-0.4" of snow on top of 0.1"-0.2" of ice so far in White Bluff. Earlier I was ::bangingheadintowall:: bummed that the WSW may not verify, but then I figured it doesn't take much snow to have a good time...

That's awesome, congrats!  I have vivid memories of seeing my boys experience their first snow around that age.  You'll treasure that video in the years to come.

My flurries have gotten larger and a little heavier, still coming down hasn't stopped since it started.  John you might get pretty lucky notice Lake Michigan getting involved with due north winds sending streamers into Northern Indiana toward our ULL.

6 hours ago, realdeal2414 said:

Here in the tri-cities area are we expecting to get any kind substantial amount of snow/ice around kingsport, Johnson City this evening/tonight? Thanks for all you guys work!

Real deal,  I have held out hope...but our chances are pretty slim.  Now Tuesday...I am somewhat interested.  Going to get very cold very fast during the next few hours.

• Like 1

I've got full on light snow occurring.  Dime sized flakes mixed with smaller ones and 29, nothing on radar over me, there is definitely very low level moisture getting ringed out.  If I'm getting it now should be in Knox before long as I am southwest of Knox about 20 miles.

• Like 1

I'm in Nashville at my in-laws for the weekend. Obviously I've chased off any chances of major snow in the area, but the roads around here are getting pretty slippery. Everything is coated with a light dusting of white on top of a glaze of freezing rain. Not enough to measure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, *Flash* said:

We’re just under an inch of snow now. Hard to measure the ice but looks like a quarter inch. 

Heck Yeah. I got a glaze of ice and a good bit of sleet too.  I sure wouldn't want to be on the roads tonight with all the refreezeing going on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Band is breaking down in northern middle Tennessee.  I suspect I'll be between 1/2 and 1 inch at best from this one, maybe not much more than a dusting. 

Also have to remember as it leaves OHX radar site as low level moisture its a long way to MRX or Jackson KY radar sites so it may go into a blind area.  I got a good dusting with my area radars, MRX, and Hytop as my primary not showing a single return.

Band is breaking down in northern middle Tennessee.  I suspect I'll be between 1/2 and 1 inch at best from this one, maybe not much more than a dusting. 

I think this is the effect the plateau has on radar during snow events.

• Like 1

Also have to remember as it leaves OHX radar site as low level moisture its a long way to MRX or Jackson KY radar sites so it may go into a blind area.  I got a good dusting with my area radars, MRX, and Hytop as my primary not showing a single return.

This is right