• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The January 7-8th possible CAD storm

mackerel_sky

I have a winter precip 101 question. I believe I've gotten an answer to this before, but forgot. Which winter precip type is able to cool the atmosphere faster, freezing rain or sleet? I could swear someone told me years ago that sleet does, but I just wanted a refresher. Also, Lookout, does anything you're looking at suggest we could start as sleet or will it just be zr to rain?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

If that's close to being right on this radar forecast, it's going to be really really bad, and the school closings would have saved the day! A lot of griping on school FB pages about " how could they close school" mentality!

Looks like the Duke Power Nuclear Plant is doing its typical "radiation warming" for Oconee County.

45 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

I have a winter precip 101 question. I believe I've gotten an answer to this before, but forgot. Which winter precip type is able to cool the atmosphere faster, freezing rain or sleet? I could swear someone told me years ago that sleet does, but I just wanted a refresher. Also, Lookout, does anything you're looking at suggest we could start as sleet or will it just be zr to rain?

rain from my experience. I only recall one time where the temp really dropped a lot from sleet and it was  years ago right before a surprise snow...went from near 50 to mid to upper 30s. (but only time i ever got a hell of a lot to start...lasted an hour)  soundings show a very dry column to start but if anything other than rain falls, looks like it would be only sleet as the models aren't as cold/bullish as earlier aloft.  

27 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

I don't wanna jinx anything but you can't ignore that huge blob of green moving right for GA/Carolinas that is in MS right now. It seems to be growing too. Just had a 14mph gust. It is whipping. 28.4/9

0z gfs and canadian are wetter still. again not huge amounts or anything but  more than enough to cause a lot of travel issues. 

The last few times that Chris Justice hyped a storm...nothing....and the last few times he dismissed a storm....it hit....the temps are very low....admittedly...the air is very dry...and very heavy moisture would have to penetrate...but at these temps....if anything hits it will freeze....could be a dangerous situation wherever the moisture seeks landing.....would be more wise to at least account for that possibility rather than dismissing it....

23 minutes ago, drfranklin said:

agreed, but the moisture plume/intensity in MS/far west AL is increasing - not sure what to make of that - it is moving rather slowly east

Some heavy returns down that way with lots of yellow and even reds showing up, will be interesting to see how that translates over our way. Like clockwork, just went from 20 to 21 as clouds coming back all the sudden. Have to see how much I go back up now.

1 minute ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Some heavy returns down that way with lots of yellow and even reds showing up, will be interesting to see how that translates over our way. Like clockwork, just went from 20 to 21 as clouds coming back all the sudden. Have to see how much I go back up now.

You'll be up to 28 by morning! The magic low cloud blanket

Archived