• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

The only reason I even mentioned G bay was becase it’s one of the few ways Kroc can get a worthy pure lake effect event.   Therefore it freezing over lowers my chance (and the airports chance) of getting noteworthy lake effect in the coming two months.

That comment had nothing to do with the potential 340-360 degree event for this weekend....which looks marginal at best  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a shame with this pattern to SE it pretty much get wasted for most of Metro BUF. Could have really been something special. KBUF is at 22.1" for the month which I believe is below normal for the month which is nuts considering how cold it's been and how areas 25-30 miles away picked up over 4x that this month. Richard, you definitely owe me dinner lol!

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ouch. 

I've never experienced LES. The potential for Erie and further NE intrigues me though. Not sure I'm buying 18-24 but what do I know :lol: 

If you never experienced it then those totals, if you think their big, are really not, lol!  In Oswego, Wednesday night from around 10PM to next morning around 10AM, 12 hrs and 27" had fallen!

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ha. Anything that falls is the real deal in my book. 

I've seen a lot of good synoptic storms, but only one 30" event in my life--the Great Blizzard of 2013 when I was in CT.

Definitely not expecting that there if I make the trip up. I know you guys get the big dog events.

Would have loved to be in Redfield for that record breaker a few days ago or Oswego just a few days later!

The heaviest I've ever seen it snow up in the Tug was when I chased with LEK, 8"/hr snows is a sight to behold that's for sure. To see it snow 2" in 15 minutes is just nuts as it comes straight down with no wind at all, calm.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think I had 6"/hr with GB 13, and you're right it's absolutely wild to literally see the snow pile up. Someday...

I thought the earlier AFD from BUF was interesting. Had to look up what a "tea kettle" setup actually was. For an outsider learning about LES, I really enjoy the commentary from all of you. 

Edit: I haven't seen any posts from LEK. Is he alright or does he only come out for big snow and tropical?

IDK, I haven't seen him post in quite a while. I hope all is well with him though.

I think you have a good shot at seeing some accumulating snows next week, although its early, IMO your in a good spot for this one, if it comes to fruition.  I'd like to see a bit more HL blocking but the NAO wants to stay positive and that's ok, as long as there's a big HP in the way, it has to slow down some. 

38 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've seen a lot of good synoptic storms, but only one 30" event in my life--the Great Blizzard of 2013 when I was in CT.

30" in CT...I lived in that rathole for almost 20 g*dam years...SECT mostly. I had to sacrifice family members to get a 10" snowfall while I lived there.  (Other than Mt. Tolland, the real snow capital of the east).  Since leaving, there are Blizzards seemingly raging every month of the year. A Pox upon that place.  I am still recovering from a life spent near I-95...so to me, the Tug Hill plateau should be bulldozed to Death Valley status. If I had Bill Gates $, I would bulldoze it West towards the lake and make a big mountain, so it experienced leeside downsloping forever.

10 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Expect KTYX to be unavailable through at least Saturday Dec 30. We apologize for
the inconvenience. 

Next message will be, we can't reach it cause of deep snow, lol! It's really tough tracking LES with no radar!

I'm sure they'll have it working in time to track Black Fly swarms in the spring,  up on the Tug.

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Such a shame with this pattern to SE it pretty much get wasted for most of Metro BUF. Could have really been something special. KBUF is at 22.1" for the month which I believe is below normal for the month which is nuts considering how cold it's been and how areas 25-30 miles away picked up over 4x that this month. Richard, you definitely owe me dinner lol!

We will have a double date on me for our wives/fiance putting up with our snow obsession. ^_^

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That is really shocking as the Redfield spotter broke the 48 hour record and you're in Redfield? Goes to show you how Lake Effect works. 

She is 11 miles North of where I’m located.  I’m on the south shore of the reservoir near the actual town of Redfield.  

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If I were on Tug, absolutely. Not so sure about anywhere else. I’m sure I’d be fine most of the time because on balance you’d probably stand to do well in any given season, but the historic and true screw job stuff? Idk :lol: 

Winter 14-15, specifically January 2015, broke me. I haven’t been the same since lol. Down here I had to realize snow is almost all luck so I take a zen approach to winter now. 

Winter 1996-97, SECT.  There was literally no snow. In coastal CT, not Myrtle Beach.  A few rounds of sleet, or sleet and rain. If there was snow, it wasn't measurable, much less plowable. This, after the best winter ever, 95-96.  It was after this I realized I had to GTFO. Either back south where you don't care or head towards the belly of the beast...I chose the Matrix!

47 minutes ago, swva said:

She is 11 miles North of where I’m located.  I’m on the south shore of the reservoir near the actual town of Redfield.  

I looked at two properties on the reservoir. They were on Salmon Crk Run. I think I saw your place. 

Id be crazy to know someone nearly set a record that close to me. 

Have you driven up there? 

I think Carolyn Yeardon lives 9N of Redfield proper. She is the official snow watcher up there- I think. Everyone should follow her on twitter. It's rare to have a female snow enthusiast. It seems mostly a male gene thing. Lol

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I looked at two properties on the reservoir. They were on Salmon Crk Run. I think I saw your place. 

I think Carolyn Yeardon lives 9N of Redfield proper. She is the official snow watcher up there- I think. Everyone should follow her on twitter. It's rare to have a female snow enthusiast. It seems mostly a male gene thing. Lol

The official spotter in Perrysburg is Lori. The 2 snowiest spotters in each region are females, it's definitely not a male thing. 

35 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If I were on Tug, absolutely. Not so sure about anywhere else. I’m sure I’d be fine most of the time because on balance you’d probably stand to do well in any given season, but the historic and true screw job stuff? Idk :lol: 

Winter 14-15, specifically January 2015, broke me. I haven’t been the same since lol. Down here I had to realize snow is almost all luck so I take a zen approach to winter now. 

Yeah, it's all relative really. You get used to the climate of where you live. My favorite climo is 85 and sunny. I like living here for the seasons though. I would get bored of the same everyday. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The official spotter in Perrysburg is Lori. The 2 snowiest spotters in each region are females, it's definitely not a male thing. 

It's nearly 100% a male thing. Look at the folks on this board. Look at that 100s of lurkers on social media. Notice the vast majority of meteorologists. Mixed in is a handful of women. 

Sorry. That's a fact Jack. 

5 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It's nearly 100% a male thing. Look at the folks on this board. Look at that 100s of lurkers on social media. Notice the vast majority of meteorologists. Mixed in is a handful of women. 

No I definitely agree with you that they are the majority. Probably about 70/30 are male/female ratio for Mets. But if you go on goldensnowball facebook page the majority of posters are female. They've been posting tons of pictures from Erie PA. 

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Can't be 100% because then there'd be no female Mets, lol?

5 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

I haven’t driven up there yet but maybe today.  And you are correct, it is driving me crazy ha!!

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM SATURDAY TO 10 AM
EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow expected. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches are
  expected in the most persistent lake snows.

* WHERE...Monroe, Wayne, Northern Cayuga, and Oswego counties.

* WHEN...2 PM Saturday to 10 AM Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at
  times. Cold wind chills as low as 15 below zero will cause
  frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin.

LR looks terrible again for anything substantial synoptically or even LES after this weekend. KBUF sits at 22" for the month while just south the totals are almost triple that amount and in some cases quadrupled. This arctic pattern really messed up the snowfall chances going forward and my guess is average will be tough to get to this year. If I didnt just buy this house 1 1/2 years ago I would move south of Buffalo in a heartbeat. 

Archived