Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Looking good here in the south hills. I really like the way the radar looks right now too. Precip field appears to be further south than what the models were showing. And as far as that dry air, it looks to be saturating on the radar. Im feeling positive :snowman:

I'm out and about. I hope I can get back home without much trouble. Roads are already covered with a light coating. This is the year boys and girls. We will get a our 12 inch storm I can feel it. 

5 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Just looked at the sounding.  Seems there is a pretty sharp dry spike at ~900mb and another bigger area of dry air around 700mb.  I'd be curious to know what's causing those two intrusions.  Is the low trying to splinter off and redevelop?

Could be. Looks like some precip is trying to break out in eastern PA. 

I'm on vacation this week, so I was able to stay up and check out most of it. I went outside and measured a little bit ago. I picked up about 2 inches. I'm sure some of you guys north of the city did better judging by the radar, which was forecast of course. I figured I'd probably get around a couple of inches where I'm at. It's still coming down lightly, but the heaviest appears to be over. Shouldn't get much more. Anyway, I'm off to bed.

Measured a couple spots and had a little over 4.5 inches in New Kensington, and it was still snowing lightly when I left, don't expect that will add up to much more though. At work in SE Allegheny it looks like about 2 inches. Saw several accidents and cars slid off the road this morning, be careful especially if you are heading in from North of the City.

Looks like some light LES firing up, maybe another coating before that shuts off later this morning.

1 hour ago, north pgh said:

Merry Christmas.....We're getting the WTD for Christmas! 90% chance this will verify. haha

Long range is a mess for sure which is why I'm glad we have a couple of cold days coming up to enjoy the snow we got. Little to no chance that what we have survives until Christmas. The volatility will continue in modeling, so best to hang on and enjoy the ride. This up coming pattern definitely favors slop storms, while mountains and CAD areas to the South and East snow. There is very cold air not far away in Canada, so a well times high could turn an otherwise rain event into snow or ice.

It's been awhile since we had a big ice storm, I remember one in Jan in the early 90s that hit when we already had snow on the ground. I remember it raining and just seeing a glaze form over the snow pack.

3 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

It's been awhile since we had a big ice storm, I remember one in Jan in the early 90s that hit when we already had snow on the ground. I remember it raining and just seeing a glaze form over the snow pack.

Definitely want nothing to do with an icestorm, but with those slopstorm scenarios, with that warm air overriding the cold air, it's always a possibility. Especially, where I'm at and to the south. Allegheny County always seems to be the dividing line for those systems. North Hills will be getting snow while my area changes over to rain or freezing rain after it snows for about 20 minutes.

Archived