Welcome to American Weather
Tyler Penland

2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

132 posts in this topic

The 7 to 10 day range of the 12z GFS has a big trough centered right over North Dakota and just sits there. The ridge on the west coast is not conducive for us too get a big trough to swing through. One run but several changes in this time period.

The 15 day stretch starting October 24 through November 8th will average below normal temp wise for our region(SE). Can't see out past that time with alot of confidence but don't see any reason to be pessimistic verse optimistic past 11/8.

May not mean much flake wise, but none of us will be sunbathing and wearing summer wardrobe.

a couple things about the 18z is that next weeks front looks better. It seems will will likely get a killing freeze and we will likely see highs in the 30s and 40s. Also there seems to be a system that swings through on the back side of the trough that may give us a chance of snow snow flurries on this run. Still I am not banking on that a lot currently. The extended after November 1st looks horrible.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

a couple things about the 18z is that next weeks front looks better. It seems will will likely get a killing freeze and we will likely see highs in the 30s and 40s. Also there seems to be a system that swings through on the back side of the trough that may give us a chance of snow snow flurries on this run. Still I am not banking on that a lot currently. The extended after November 1st looks horrible.

I'll take a good frost at this point. Lowest temp for me thus far is 36.3. Highs have been pleasant the last couple of days but I like that 40 degree high/low spread we can get this time of year.

I have to say the leaf color was absolutely horrific this year, at least for Yancey and Mitchell counties. What color that did come through was so dull that it looked almost brown. It might still have time for the lower elly's but we're pretty much done up here. Sad, it kinda' kicks off the winter season for me. 

But.....one of the best things about living in the mountains is that it will snow. Maybe not as much as we want, but it will snow. Looking forward to the first one. While I'm naked, in a hot tub, on my deck.

2 people like this

But.....one of the best things about living in the mountains is that it will snow. Maybe not as much as we want, but it will snow. Looking forward to the first one. While I'm naked, in a hot tub, on my deck.

You mountain folk enjoy your snow a little differently than we do down here in the lowlands, it seems. We tend to walk, sled, build, and observe it, but we don't tend to do any of that sans clothing.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

2 people like this

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

I'll take a good frost at this point. Lowest temp for me thus far is 36.3. Highs have been pleasant the last couple of days but I like that 40 degree high/low spread we can get this time of year.

I have to say the leaf color was absolutely horrific this year, at least for Yancey and Mitchell counties. What color that did come through was so dull that it looked almost brown. It might still have time for the lower elly's but we're pretty much done up here. Sad, it kinda' kicks off the winter season for me. 

Yeah sometimes in these early season cold fronts we get mixing issues with elevation. Seems like you have encountered that. Yeah the leaf season is very dull and around Haywood pretty much sucks. Yeah we will get snow. Even in the horrible 2011/12 year we got 14 inches lol. 

1 person likes this

Everything seems on track for high elevations flurries/snow showers Wed night. GSP evening mentioning it in their AFD now. I'm planning to head up to Roan Mountain after work on Wednesday to hopefully get this season started. 

In other news: I'll take ensemble member e13 for $1,000, Alex. 

e13.png

Leaf season was terrible here too. Most of the trees lost their leaves early and what was left had very little color. 

On to winter!

1 person likes this

Was in Boone today for the game. And all I can say is mother nature owes everyone a refund. No color at all. Sticks and grayish brown leaves. Well find out down this way in 10 or so days but probably get same result.

1 person likes this