• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

Next 45 days look like a furnace around here.    Snowballs will have to be formed from hot lava.   No snow cover up here till Jan. 9th.     Winter will probably have some short intense cold periods.   We will be lucky with 30 day slices that are  17AN/13BN.   And of course the CFS goes normal or better just in time for April and May.   Anyone have any long range data that differs from this---come forth now.

So far my area has nearly 2" using station in (Sheepshead Bay)   Winds topped so far at 21mph.  Pressure 29.37"

Just now, Juliancolton said:

I can't find my handheld anemometer. :( Now I'll have to stand out in the driving rain just for the heck of it

Just judge it by how bendy the trees are. My little maple has said its gusting to 78. 

Shrug. Its not an exact science.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rjay said:

A quiet 50+ 

Wind warnings are now wind advisories and in effect until 2 PM, also got coastal flood advisories until 9 AM.

Most exciting thing about the storm for me was seeing the barometer fall to 28.99" Can't remember the last time that happened.

The backside heavy rain was a nice treat too but that's almost over now.

2 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Since Lead averages 180 inches of snow annually and Rapid City about 50 inches...while the two are separated by just 32 miles as the crow flies; the forecasts are actually much harder here...

No I mean that on the east coast you have to deal with land-sea interactions, the gulf stream, etc.  You also have to factor in population density so a forecast error of 10 miles can result in a far bigger bust than what you would get out there.

• Like 1

Just now, Dakota said:

Well a bust is a bust; even if only the deer and the antelope are witnesses to it...

But you are correct; the Atlantic Ocean is very much the proverbial fly in the ointment for forecasts in this part of world...

Yup it almost gives our noreasters a sort of tropical "feel" to them in how rapidly they strengthen along the gulf stream.  Our most historic coastal storms can cause damage on the same level as a TC.....case in point is December 1992.

• Rjay unpinned this topic