• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

I'm up at Bash Bish Falls and she's roaring today... mist soaking me and the camera hundreds of feet downwind. My guess is the falls and creeks in the area are at their highest discharge levels in a couple years. Hope to hit Kaaterskill and maybe a couple others in the next day or two while the runoff is still at peak.

10 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

My tomato plants are still green, they don;t look so great but are still alive as are the marigolds.

Yeah my tomatos are hanging on. I let the basil bloom a few days before the cold nights, that helped kill it anyway. The mint is still going strong. Parsley has pooped the bed lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm up at Bash Bish Falls and she's roaring today... mist soaking me and the camera hundreds of feet downwind. My guess is the falls and creeks in the area are at their highest discharge levels in a couple years. Hope to hit Kaaterskill and maybe a couple others in the next day or two while the runoff is still at peak.

Cool, I've seen it running hard in the spring and it's like a much bigger falls when it's like that. Lake Mahopac is out of its banks right now, more than I remember it in the 21 years I've been here.

36 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Kaaterskill today was the highest I've seen it (though I wasn't there after Irene or Lee so that doesn't say much). Looking down the clove from the top of the falls, you could see mist billowing back up the entire height of the upper tier. Just a thunderous roar.

KHD29Th.jpg

Very nice

• Like 2

This morning looks like it could be my first hard freeze but I'm still not positive.  Does anyone know what the official definition of a hard freeze is for this neck of the woods?  It seems like each NWS office has it's own definition.  For IMBY I use a definition I found years ago but haven't been able to find recently which was a low of 28 or temps below freezing for at least three consecutive hours.  My low was only 30 this morning but I think I might have been below freezing long enough for this morning to count.  I know to most of you none of this matters LOL.  So going with today ties me with 11/1/10 for the second latest freeze since moving into my current house in 2005. 

15 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Kaaterskill today was the highest I've seen it (though I wasn't there after Irene or Lee so that doesn't say much). Looking down the clove from the top of the falls, you could see mist billowing back up the entire height of the upper tier. Just a thunderous roar.

KHD29Th.jpg

You're very talented Julian 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Often its a no brainer when the first hard freeze is and then there are years like this...for example, I know I got down to 30 this morning but I didn't see any frost on anything.  I love those mornings when there's a heavy frost on everything.   

It seems I always go big with my first hard freeze and hit the 28 mark.  The clouds really got in the way of things this time around though.  Only hit 34.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

...and back to humid and stuffy outside in November :( This climate change transition thing sux. Lets just get it over with and go warm until we get a devastating volcanic eruption somewhere to change it back to the old normal.

Yeah, glad it’s back because I SO missed humid weather...not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, White Gorilla said:

Anything can happen the next few months and I don't think any winter forecast is high confidence, but I am getting a sinking feeling of a much warmer than normal winter with much below normal snow.  I hope I am wrong. 

At least our advantage over the Mid-Atlantic and even the NY metro is that much above average doesn't necessarily mean decent snow is out of the question. We have a nice stretch when even like a +5F month can still support frozen most of the time. We're in a fairly stormy regime as of the last few weeks so if that keeps up, I'll take my chances.

Even a mighty cutter is better than dry. Anything but dry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

At least our advantage over the Mid-Atlantic and even the NY metro is that much above average doesn't necessarily mean decent snow is out of the question. We have a nice stretch when even like a +5F month can still support frozen most of the time. We're in a fairly stormy regime as of the last few weeks so if that keeps up, I'll take my chances.

Even a mighty cutter is better than dry. Anything but dry. 

Exactly... I would much rather take my chances with N to AN temps than BN temps. BN temps usually spells suppression/depression around these parts while areas in the Mid-Atlantic party. We can get away with AN temps up here. Give us storm chances and we will be fine

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snywx said:

Exactly... I would much rather take my chances with N to AN temps than BN temps. BN temps usually spells suppression/depression around these parts while areas in the Mid-Atlantic party. We can get away with AN temps up here. Give us storm chances and we will be fine

Agree, he had a couple of events the last 2 years where the suppression squeezed our area out and areas to our south did well. 

• Like 1

Mowed in shorts and got most of the leaves cleaned up in the front yard now on the the back :o Not looking forward to that at all so hopefully it's the last one for the year.

Looks like a line of showers for this afternoon, what do you think the chances are it reaches as far south as the Westchester line? I'm trying to decide where to go ride.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018