Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I agree with Gene.  Most of New England will not see much of significance, at least in terms of wind.   If it stalls, some flooding could take place.  SE coastal areas could see some decent flooding

Well we're another tier NW too. Maybe we sneak in some tropical rains, but it takes a special system to get big winds for us. There will be some impacts for the usual coastal locations. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro does have a 65kt 850 LLJ over centrl CT at hr 72. Sure it may not mix down..but that's pretty good.

I could see some inconsistent gusty winds over inland areas. Like the pressure gradient will occasionally mix one down, but more often than not it won't be more than run of the mill windy.

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I subscribe to Weatherbell and its definitely worth it to me.  I almost never post subscribed graphics but I will post these for just 10 minutes  (since I gave them the plug!) and then I'm taking them down.    This is why I'm just not feeling this storm.  I see the post about 40 and 60mph and over 60mph wind gusts and the 7" rain totals.  Here are the 12 Euro total storm rainfall and the highest winds for any time stamp I could find.  Sure some gusts could be higher.  Rainfall looks to be an issue from perhaps Providence to Boston and SE ward....

Euro wind.jpg

Raian.jpg

They carry a gust product 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Always take the most conservative route

Well looking at forecast soundings I would say it's going to be hard to get 60 mph gusts over a large chunk of inland areas without a 60 mph LLJ. Most of the core of the wind is above the low level inversion, so you're almost waiting for winds to back NW before the mixing depths increase. 

You should be able to get your rocks off on some 45 mph gusts anyway.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not sure how they generate that though. Could just be a multiplication factor.

I just looked at the 12Z Euro gust maps.  Interestingly the strongest wind gusts are on Wed AM on Long Island and the Conn coast.  50 to 55mph gusts.  As the storm moves ENE its weakening so the gust in SNE are in the 35 to 45mph range.  Even Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket do not get gusts much above 45mph...

There is no land place on any Euro 6 hour time stamp that records a 60mph gust...

By the way 12Z Euro on day 8 to 10 it now has Maria slowly moving north almost in a Jose type fashion right towards New England.  Slow is the key as high pressure is over and north of us.  So not a fast moving cane running up the coast with a deep trough to the west,  at least not on this run..

Archived