Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Crazy seeing such a large number of SC and GA tracks. Those are very unusual and there's a while bunch of them. Gefs has a lot of consensus for a very strong WAR. Also a lot of phasing going on with the trough. Didn't see this GEFS run coming at all. More than just a little skeptical

GEFS looks like the Euro and CMC

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

Wouldn't that make the op suspect rather than the other way round?

I don't think so in this case at all. An OTS track is very much a possibility at this range. Any hurricane in the current location is favored to recurve. Gefs had zero. It has to be a blip. Every single ens suite from all the globals have had a solid number of ots tracks and suddenly the gefs lasers in on a ga/sc landfall. I'm not buying it. 

I'm not saying the gefs mean track isn't possible. Im just saying that the gefs didn't magically solve a question we won't know for many days. 

14 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

Wouldn't that make the op suspect rather than the other way round?

I know next to nothing about this, but as I understand it, one of the ensemble members has exactly the same initial conditions as the op. The fact that it diverges so significantly from the op would indicate to me that there is something that the higher resolution is picking up on that lower resolution ensembles are missing, making the ensembles potentially less trustworthy. I'd appreciate hearing from those more expert than me on this, though. 

9 minutes ago, abergman said:

I know next to nothing about this, but as I understand it, one of the ensemble members has exactly the same initial conditions as the op. The fact that it diverges so significantly from the op would indicate to me that there is something that the higher resolution is picking up on that lower resolution ensembles are missing, making the ensembles potentially less trustworthy. I'd appreciate hearing from those more expert than me on this, though. 

But at this range the ops higher res still wouldn't be perfectly accurate - so I'd think a range of lower res solutions might have more validity. Guess we'll see.

Just now, eurojosh said:

But at this range the ops higher res still wouldn't be perfectly accurate - so I'd think a range of lower res solutions might have more validity. Guess we'll see.

The high resolution of the op can magnify errors out in time so small errors become big as the lead lengthens. 

Ensembles are lower resolution (I think the eps is high resolution but I'm not sure) but the skill comes from smoothing the mean of all the members. Mean track and amount of spread is a much better and more accurate tool once you get out to 4-5 day leads. 

Archived