Newest Member
    joxey
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS improved for the d9 deal. Go figure. Control run is a decent event too. 

There are a few nice hits in the mix. The snow mean is slightly better for that period. This is why we have the ensembles right? Even though the last 2 op runs have been quite disparate, the mean looks generally the same.

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

People get to caught up in op runs at long range when they should be paying attention to the ensemble.

I don't think they are taking them seriously it was just pretty to look at and naturally a small letdown when the next run sucks. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

From a quick glance EPS looks about the same wrt the day 8-10 period but improved a lot Day 10-15. Overall a bump is snow due to some hits late 

Was just looking at that. The focus has shifted more to the later threat, which tbh I am not a fan of. It is what it is though and we will see how it plays out.

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Was just looking at that. The focus has shifted more to the later threat, which tbh I am not a fan of. It is what it is though and we will see how it plays out.

I'm not a fan of delaying either especially in march but the initial trough attempt Day 8-10 is fighting a pretty hostile PAC. The snow runs in that period do it with a crazy blocking over Baffin solution.  If the blocking holds the next attempt as the pacific trough retrogrades could have more luck digging in the east. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm not a fan of delaying either especially in march but the initial trough attempt Day 8-10 is fighting a pretty hostile PAC. The snow runs in that period do it with a crazy blocking over Baffin solution.  If the blocking holds the next attempt as the pacific trough retrogrades could have more luck digging in the east. 

Yeah getting the block in that position is ideal but probably long odds. The other possibility is a compromise, with a weaker western block displaced a bit further north. Then the western trough underneath would not be as hostile and could perhaps allow more ridging in the western US. Problem is the Pacific ridge/trough combo has been a persistent thorn and that ridge near the Aleutians on the 12z run was an absolute beast.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't think they are taking them seriously it was just pretty to look at and naturally a small letdown when the next run sucks. 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

No one other than snow88 took the 0z 30" bomb seriously.

Was trying to follow piecemeal over the phone while walking through the exhibit so it was hard to gauge things. Just had the feeling people were baling over the op runs. Considering the long odds we still face maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. :)

30 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I kinda lose interest when I see a monstrous Aleutian ridge. Soo difficult to overcome that.

IMO it is possible to overcome with good ridging over-top that forces the pv southward. If that pv stays north we are basically sol. Or if that pv does get forced southward but dumped into the west we are sol. So basically we are probably sol unless that pv is forced southeastward.

10 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

IMO it is possible to overcome with good ridging over-top that forces the pv southward. If that pv stays north we are basically sol. Or if that pv does get forced southward but dumped into the west we are sol. So basically we are probably sol unless that pv is forced southeastward.

Yes its possible. As various runs of the Euro have shown. But- in those cases the AK block was also further north and somewhat weaker, with a less pronounced trough under it. If we see a gigantic magenta blob over the Aleutians, and a smaller red blob over/just east of GL, thats not going to get it done.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

For those that haven't looked at the 18z gfs then don't even bother. It is basically a flat out ugly run. Here's hoping the GEFS can turn the tide somewhat.

Yup a disaster. My post above comparing it(relatively early in the run) to the Sat 0z GFS, illustrates what I believe is a major issue with ultimately getting a trough into the eastern US.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Just setting us up so it will hurt more when we fail. 

I fully expect every single event to pass nw and be on the outside looking in. Which is fine because I've been practicing this exact outcome for the last 100 days with the exception of a couple events passing south and east. All this training has left me in good shape physically and mentally. I'm ready. Bring it  

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I fully expect every single event to pass nw and be on the outside looking in. Which is fine because I've been practicing this exact outcome for the last 100 days with the exception of a couple events passing south and east. All this training has left me in good shape physically and mentally. I'm ready. Bring it  

I'm still at work, probably will be till 11 so just sneaking peeks here and there when I can. Man 18z gefs was a marked improvement. Mean was only a slight bump but it lost the few crazy outliers and the snow is more evenly spread out over lots of hits.  Several day 7-10 then another jump 12-16. Pretty impressive run for march. 

But again it's just trolling us. The models are like jb this year. Stringing us along like hooked junkies. 

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm still at work, probably will be till 11 so just sneaking peeks here and there when I can. Man 18z gefs was a marked improvement. Mean was only a slight bump but it lost the few crazy outliers and the snow is more evenly spread out over lots of hits.  Several day 7-10 then another jump 12-16. Pretty impressive run for march. 

But again it's just trolling us. The models are like jb this year. Stringing us along like hooked junkies. 

There are a couple decent storm signals(not great) but given its March its not bad. It is likely a troll job though, but we should be smart enough by now to not take the bait at this range. The advertised pacific pattern is HORRIBLE. Cannot sugar coat it. So much has to go right to overcome that, and we have had many poor outcomes this winter as a reminder. That being said, this is an especially complex set up with the potential for a strong NA block in addition to the big omega block out west, and their interaction with the TPV. As weather enthusiasts, we never just give up. Its a very interesting pattern with potential and even though the odds of failure for our region is again high, we track on.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived