• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

Info on the individual gefs members is trickling in. There are positive trends. Snowfall took a significant move south just to our north in the 8-10 day period. Even a handful of members get snow into the northern half of our forum during that period. Last few runs were way north with the storm that period.  Then there is another bump in snow day 13-16 with a few hits.  Mean back up near 2" after bottoming out near zero last few runs. About half the members have some snow across our region over the period. It's an improvement. Baby steps. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes the gefs is very close to the op. Dumps into the west day 8-12 then eventually digs a trough into the east late in the run. 

I took hr 264 and clicked back through GEFS h5.  last 3-4 runs look very similar set-up...this run amplified it more but that west trough look is there.   

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I'll wait until one shows an actual storm.

We've had some good setups and no storms, not even a decent disturbance.

Actually has a nice storm at day 8 but verbatim its a big snow event for the mountains of western MD and PA and up into NE.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

We hoped and sorta expected the block to no break down fast. The EPS a week+ ago was showing a one and done or 1-2 and done pass with the PV lobe before losing the look. When I saw that I started seriously doubting that things would give us a larger window but in the back of my mind I kept thinking that more often than not, a stout block like that with a pv pinwheel going on below it, it can have some staying power. 

Each pass of the PV helps maintain the blocking in the davis straights. That's an ideal location for us because it can be temporarily self sustaining when the pinwheel lobes generate "ridging waves" in front of them. Anytime you can maintain pv lobes spinning but not making it north of the davis straights you can envision an extended period of the repeating pattern. 

Even if the GFS op is right with a western dump, as long as we have the block keeping lobes from escaping north of the davis straights then subsequent troughs can continue carving eastward. The big N-S thermal gradient in the conus that this pattern produces makes any energy rounding the base capable of going bigger than it would in January. It's a high octane pattern. Even if we fail miserably, I'm pretty much expecting someone to get one or more big snowstorms in March. The NE and upper MW obviously sitting in the better spots but at least a couple ingredients are setting up to be in place where even the sorry ass mid atlantic could get pasted. 

You can see a classic example of this on the 12z Euro.

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Actually has a nice storm at day 8 but verbatim its a big snow event for the mountains of western MD and PA and up into NE.

As I would expect for this late in the season.  Amazingly good Euro patten is fine in January....most of us need historically good Euro pattern this time of year.

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Day 8 Euro isn't far from some impact here. Eps could be BIGGG!

That's the first chance (albeit slim) so no sense looking too far ahead yet. EPS favors a NW track but still hasn't removed the cluster with a good track. A couple members take the low and snow south of the area. 

11 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Wow that looks pretty darn good

Yes and it's setting up another opportunity past day 10 too. Things relax but then given where the blocking and PV are that trough is about to dump into the east after day ten again. The gfs does that also but it's totally missing the first window because it holds the PV out west. Like bob said love the pinwheel idea. That can open up a multiple threat window pattern. 

IMG_0721.PNG

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea...it will be interesting if we pick up more southern solutions on the Eps for day8/9. Under 10 days ...lol

At least a handful at 0z got underneath us.

Yeah based on the op run I would expect so see some nice solutions among the members.

39 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea...it will be interesting if we pick up more southern solutions on the Eps for day8/9. Under 10 days ...lol

At least a handful at 0z got underneath us.

35 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah based on the op run I would expect so see some nice solutions among the members.

We've seen plenty of nice solutions on ensemble members this winter.  We've even seen so many good solutions that it created a good looking mean.

Is there anything this time that would give us any reason to think that good solutions (if they are there) are anything but fantasy?

38 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes and it's setting up another opportunity past day 10 too. Things relax but then given where the blocking and PV are that trough is about to dump into the east after day ten again. The gfs does that also but it's totally missing the first window because it holds the PV out west. Like bob said love the pinwheel idea. That can open up a multiple threat window pattern. 

IMG_0721.PNG

I haven't looked at any part of the euro maps, but that one right there says storm to our nw with a cold front and cold air to follow. IMO.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just looked quick at the euro on TT.  Day 7-8-9 looks like something that could be decent.

That day 10 thing, IMO, is useless unless you're holding out hope for a wave riding the tail of the cold front that has to be there.

That's all that can be said...looks decent and we shall what happens.  But it beats seeing ridge after ridge in the east.  Will wait until inside 5 days to pop the bubbly...I am learning 

17 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just looked quick at the euro on TT.  Day 7-8-9 looks like something that could be decent.

That day 10 thing, IMO, is useless unless you're holding out hope for a wave riding the tail of the cold front that has to be there.

No the day 10 is a cutter but the whole trough is rotating around again and is going to dump into the east and set up another window day 12-15

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Why is Ian trashing the Op via the ensembles on twitter?

No idea I'm comparing the EPS to the previous EPS run not the op. You'll never see as deep a trough in an ensemble mean. 6-10 looks better.

10-15 looks worse so far but it's only out to d12 and it's not bad just not as deep a trough so far with the second round of the pinwheel mostly because the blocking is weaker post day 10. 

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I got the impression he was just saying nobody will tweet the EPS because it doesn't get clicks. 

Yes, he was clearly saying that - impression I got that it wasn't remotely good for snow/cold like the Op was trying to show. Since I can't access the Euro, was curious what our tracking die-hards were seeing...

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived