• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

WPC

day2_psnow_gt_04 (2).gif

day2_psnow_gt_08 (1).gif

day2_psnow_gt_12 (1).gif

That's a clown map Bruh. ;)   This one has slowly become more interesting. Frankly, I'm rather content with 50s at this point.  This feels like I'm living back on I-95 corridor, days of 40s and 50s and then wham!  Several inches of what we used to call New England boilerplate glop. My snowblower may look more like a waterwheel clearing this stuff.

50 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Lurking. I'll take synoptic over LES. My fave is hybrid. 

This is like a spring storm but with winter dynamics to work with- no diurnal.

Bro, diurnal simply means change in Temp throughout the course of the day, so I don't know where it fits within this event?  Its a dynamically driven snow event with heavy precip being able to drop the BL temps low enough to support snow, otherwise we'd sse nothing but rain here which is usually the case, This is why I'm surprised that the Syracuse area is in the mix for heavier snows than most in the area.

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I think you are absolutely right here regarding evolution of things.  So. ONT and the GTO have more in common with WNY/CNY wx except they rarely get LES so most of our LES discussions are pretty much N/A to them.  VT is in New England obviously so posting in that forum is a good fit for them and it's way more active.

I think that's how many of us feel in ENY. I'm near the same latitude as both Syracuse to my west and SVT to my east, though I more resemble VT in the winter with average snowfall. Anyway, down to just below 37 degrees, after a high of 43 today. I have a feeling there will be a few broken shovels and backs here come tuesday.

7 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

That's a clown map Bruh. ;)   This one has slowly become more interesting. Frankly, I'm rather content with 50s at this point.  This feels like I'm living back on I-95 corridor, days of 40s and 50s and then wham!  Several inches of what we used to call New England boilerplate glop. My snowblower may look more like a waterwheel clearing this stuff.

It is not Max, its a probability map is all bro? I can see if it showed accumulations but its not.  CLown Map, ur funny cuz!

Just now, CNY-WXFREAK said:

It is not Max, its a probability map is all bro? I can see if it showed accumulations but its not.  CLown Map, ur funny cuz!

I was being facetious...the probabilities are a bit of a clown show though, for different reasons. In my professional electrical engineering career I've worked with the probabilistic people...I have always been more of a deterministic type though I see the virtue of applying probability analysis (correctly). There are times though, when you look at what goes into some probability analysis...you realize it's not altogether dissimilar from rolling chicken bones or flipping tarot cards.  So I have a healthy skepticism regarding probability analysis.  Maybe I've seen too many ****ty applications of it. ;)

Also, in the regional weather page, why r we clumped together with PA?  Doesn't make sense at all, and no wonder why ppl r confused as to where they should be posting. Tim went into the NE forum and asked, how much for KROC and ask him what they responded with.  I don't even go into that forum as Id get banned in a heartbeat!

split secong!

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

I was being facetious...the probabilities are a bit of a clown show though, for different reasons. In my professional electrical engineering career I've worked with the probabilistic people...I have always been more of a deterministic type though I see the virtue of applying probability analysis (correctly). There are times though, when you look at what goes into some probability analysis...you realize it's not altogether dissimilar from rolling chicken bones or flipping tarot cards.  So I have a healthy skepticism regarding probability analysis.  Maybe I've seen too many ****ty applications of it. ;)

Gotvhya, I hate the seasonal probability maps as they are almost never correct!

18 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Also, in the regional weather page, why r we clumped together with PA?  Doesn't make sense at all, and no wonder why ppl r confused as to where they should be posting. Tim went into the NE forum and asked, how much for KROC and ask him what they responded with.  I don't even go into that forum as Id get banned in a heartbeat!

split secong!

I post in every subforum without getting banned.

54 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Bro, diurnal simply means change in Temp throughout the course of the day, so I don't know where it fits within this event?  Its a dynamically driven snow event with heavy precip being able to drop the BL temps low enough to support snow, otherwise we'd sse nothing but rain here which is usually the case, This is why I'm surprised that the Syracuse area is in the mix for heavier snows than most in the area.

Bro, diurnal warming occurs in direct relationship to the angle at which the sun hits (and warms) the earth. At this time of year, we don't have to be concerned with it. So chillax a bit. We are all entitled to make our points, even if we don't have a meteorology degree. 

Lets have fun instead of scoring points or attacking one another. Thanks

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I think you are absolutely right here regarding evolution of things.  So. ONT and the GTO have more in common with WNY/CNY wx except they rarely get LES so most of our LES discussions are pretty much N/A to them.  VT is in New England obviously so posting in that forum is a good fit for them and it's way more active.

I dont post a lot but I follow both the Great Lakes forum and this one. Toronto area is in a weird spot when posting. We have characteristics of both. A prime example is this storm, its going to impact the Toronto region with rain and a switch to wet snow. There won't be much discussion in the great lakes forum because they aren't being impacted. But when an apps runner goes pretty far west its mostly a rain storm for you guys (so a bit boring) and a big snowstorm for Toronto, Detroit, Ohio, ect.. so for those storms the great lakes forum is where I would be reading 

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

It has been a long time here in western ny for a big daddy. Way to long. I am talking widespread 2 feet

How did you manage on Valentine's Day 2007?  I had two feet here in ENY and I think parts of CNY managed over 30, near Cherry Valley.  I know Kroc jacked in some march storm several years back that went right up my fanny out this way.  The exact date escapes me...

13 minutes ago, tim123 said:

It has been a long time here in western ny for a big daddy. Way to long. I am talking widespread 2 feet

Didn't the February 2010 "snowicane" plaster the area? I recall widespread 10-20 inches, although I wasn't up here yet. There was another nice synoptic storm in Feb 2011 that gave Ithaca 18 inches, and I think most of CNY cashed in on that one. Since then there really hasn't been much, although there have definitely been some synoptic storms that hit ROC and BUF pretty hard.

EDIT: On review, the snowicane was more of an ENY/CNY storm.

Northeast_snowfall_map_feb_16_2010.PNG

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Big bust if the NAM is correct, looks pretty far east, precip hardly makes it to kroc..(up to hr 33) Without the heavy precip we mix..

Even further east here NAM pretty warm in the mid levels. I'd love to have this track in a normal January airmass.  

Archived