• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

Event will likely turn out to be a winter
weather advisory for parts of the area.

lol, KBGM's this mornings discussion and I think their dead wrong! Euro came in much colder than yesterdays 12Z.  Their blending those 3 globals GFS-GGEM and Euro together and they somehow come up with 2-4"??? This will most likely change later today!

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kbuf didn't even mention the euro..

Our first cut at storm totals range from 4-6 inches across lower elevations of the Genesee Valley and western Finger Lakes and portions of the eastern Lake Ontario region, with higher amounts of up to 8 inches across the highest terrain. These numbers will likely change in both amount and location as model guidance converges on a common solution.

Forecast is definitely more wintry then this time yesterday..

Monday Night
Snow and sleet, becoming all snow after 10pm. Low around 32. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

All about the precip rates

Model guidance continues to
show the system capturing an area of slightly colder air from the
airmass associated with the surface high over eastern Quebec. This,
combined with cooling from evaporation, melting, and strong ascent,
will force the column to become isothermal near or just below the
freezing mark once the heavier precip begins.

Have to watch this one carefully. This track normally produces heavy snow along the I-81 corrider. Heaviest precip falls at night which will help with accumulations. Could be some huge dendrites and 1" + per hour snowfall rates if we can flip. See what GFS says next.

These types of setups seem to generally under perform [i.e. 40s and rain ending as 20s/30s and snow] as it seems the transition usually ends up taking longer save perhaps the high terrain. That said, hard to ignore the 24-36 hour trends in the modeling for this one esp. since the GFS which had been the warmest/wettest solution seems to have done a 180 over the last 24-36 hours with a wet snow bomb across Finger Lakes and CNY. One thing that appears to be helping the cause is that the models - atleast in CNY - appear to be delaying the arrival of the precip to later Monday afternoon which is giving the cold air an extra few hours to settle in ahead. BGM put out an enhanced worded FB post for the possibility of a "major winter storm" a few hours ago but no update to the HWO or AFD yet this morning. Suspect we will see some drastic changes to the forecasts across the region with the afternoon update...

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

High risk for tornados in Florida, don't think I've ever seen that especially in January. Torcon of 9 first time since 2011 I believe. Going to be absolutely insane down there today. Also Feb is starting to look warmer with a PAC dominated flow again. ^_^ 

I keep looking at those 10mb height maps and that damm PV just keeps pinwheeling and won't budge lol..

Don't think I have ever seen a PDS box with these probabilities, insane! 

img-resized.png Reduced: 77% of original size [ 525 x 459 ] - Click to view full image

ww0021_radar.gif
Tornadoes
Probability of 2 or more tornadoes 
High (90%)
Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes
High (90%)
Wind
Probability of 10 or more severe wind events
High (90%)
Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots
High (90%)
Hail
Probability of 10 or more severe hail events
High (90%)
Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches
High (90%)
Combined Severe Hail/Wind
Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events
High (>95%)

Still thinking a decent amount of IP here.  I have no idea if the NWS has limits for sleet accumulation for advisories, watches, warnings,etc.  My guess is no, and they would want frz rain or SN to verify their criteria, which isn't going to happen here (still possible further west, especially with elevation).  We will also need to see if a strong easterly flow develops back this way, which may dry out parts of the area west of the Greens.  It takes a strong flow to do it, but this may be one of those times.

Archived