• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

10 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Not for nothing but I wouldn't listen to a word KBUF says as far as synoptic systems are concerned. I would look more at KBGM's discussions but thats just me.  They see one run that shifts a bit to the East and thats it, were toast. Its not like it can come back right? This is why I dont even read their discussions when it comes to actual storm systems! 

Oh come on man, KBuf is one of the better NWS offices in the country.  I do agree they latch onto single runs sometimes and discount the potential for change but overall they do a fine job.  Lets not get all pouty just because we are having a ****ty run of winter here.  

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to get too excited for snowfall just yet, for next week.  850 T's look a bit warm for a general areawide snowfall. Could be more of an elevation/dynamic driven snowfall, at best. A ways to go to be able to home in on where / how much precip will fall but i don't see a good source of cold air until after the storm departs.  So my guess is instead of mild 40s and rain, most of us will see raw 30s and rain transitioning to a mix of junk maybe ending as snow.

Looks colder for LES up on the Tug and the Chautauqua ridge after the storm at least. ;)

GFS came in a bit chillier and corrected itself back East so there is a very nice consensus now among globals on the track, but there still remains precip type issues especially at lower elevations, only early. and then its blast off but either way, elevation is gonna help even as much as 1kft can make all the difference in the world. But anyway, by 00z Tuesday all bets are off and probably a bit sooner with the changeover as this looks to become an isothermal bomb, so it looks like a rain to a pounding heavy snow, with ratios probably 8-1 so its gonna be a heavy wet snow for shovelers.

a couple of frames of the sounding from KSYR

00Z Tuesday

gfs_2017012106_066_43.25--76.5.png

but then 6hrs later it looks like this:

gfs_2017012106_072_43.25--76.5.png

The first image is straight dynamically induced snow as in that 6hr period it prolly snows a good 4-6" then as you see it lets up, and rain starts to mix back in. So basically, were dealing with an airmass that's really not conducive for a snowfall but during certain periods, the precip falls so heavily that it changes it over to a thumping snow.  That HP to our North has to get more involved but for some reason its not so that may change as we are still days away so there is a nice chance to see an actual synoptic snowfall.  its been a while but Im not going all in just yet. After tomorrows 12Z output if its showing this or something better than I'll be all smiles.

On 1/20/2017 at 9:23 AM, DeltaT13 said:

Oh come on man, KBuf is one of the better NWS offices in the country.  I do agree they latch onto single runs sometimes and discount the potential for change but overall they do a fine job.  Lets not get all pouty just because we are having a ****ty run of winter here.  

So much for flip flopping now they might have to issue some watches... high end advisory type snowfall possible per latest model runs.

Archived