joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to be on the look out for later tonight.

Details from Mt Holly NWS

Once the cold front moves through, any precipitation should
turn to all snow everywhere. Behind the front, there will be a
period through around midnight when lapse rates increase along
with an area of enhanced moisture as a strong short wave moves
across the area. This could lead to a period of snow
showers/squalls across mainly the Poconos and northwest New
Jersey later this evening and through around midnight. So we
have kept the advisory in place there through midnight. An
additional inch or two inches of snow could fall across these
area, especially higher elevations later this evening.

23 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Not happy with this under performance today, but the snow pack is decent enough to feel satisfied.  Of course I would have loved more and feel raging jealous as hell of folks in my Massachusetts home town, but this will suffice here.  Looks like we get a break now and wipe the pack clean until March.  

Yeah, this upcoming week looks pretty dry.

Alright, time for this to freeze up now.  Back down to 29 with icicles hanging off of everything.  They stopped plowing around 1 this afternoon so there's 3-4" deep slush grooves everywhere but the (one) main road through town and it's about to become impassable everywhere but that one road.  AWD isn't doing much good as the place freezes up unless you happen to fit into the ruts just right but I bet that's even about to become questionable.  It's still raining so the ice will only get thicker now that it's dark and the temp is dropping.  School delay or day off tomorrow?  

2 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Yup... no wipey... I don't really give AF... so I'm counting my 6.4" towards my total whether I compress later or not lol... I'm not reporting to NWS so lol

I think you are still a little confused about this.  Whether you compress or not, the 6.4" would be correct for today.

If you set a board out last night, then measured 6.4" on it this afternoon, then it compressed to half that much, 6.4" would indeed be the correct amount to report.  If you were reporting snowfall to the NWS, 6.4" would be the correct amount.

If on the other hand (hypothetically) it compresses to 4", then resumes snowing heavily again and it stops later this evening with an 8" depth on the board, then 8" would be correct.  

In the first scenario, 6.4" is probably similar to the amount that would have been reported if wiping the board every 6 hours.  

In the second hypothetical scenario, the day's snowfall reported would have been closer to 10.4" (maybe more) if wiping a board every 6 hours (6.4" round one, + 4" round two), rather than 8 inches as under the current guidelines.  I don't care for the new guidelines in the case of a phase change, especially if the change is from snow to another frozen/freezing form and then back to snow.  But I do follow the guidelines.

Don't forget, you are supposed to wipe the board once per day, at the same time every day if possible.

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

No you're not. If you're anything like me, and I think most of us here are similar in our feeling about winter and snow, you want at least three more storms if not more.

Plus 80 and sunny is boring in the summer lol.  If I had my way, it would snow from late November through early April (60" with four storms of 10" or more with consistent snowcover) and then we would be hitting 90 before the end of April and be exceeding 100 in July and August, have tropical threats in September and October and back to snow again in November.

4 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I think you are still a little confused about this.  Whether you compress or not, the 6.4" would be correct for today.

If you set a board out last night, then measured 6.4" on it this afternoon, then it compressed to half that much, 6.4" would indeed be the correct amount to report.  If you were reporting snowfall to the NWS, 6.4" would be the correct amount.

If on the other hand (hypothetically) it compresses to 4", then resumes snowing heavily again and it stops later this evening with an 8" depth on the board, then 8" would be correct.  

In the first scenario, 6.4" is probably similar to the amount that would have been reported if wiping the board every 6 hours.  

In the second hypothetical scenario, the day's snowfall reported would have been closer to 10.4" (maybe more) if wiping a board every 6 hours (6.4" round 1 + 4" round 2), rather than 8 inches as under the current guidelines.  I don't care for the new guidelines in the case of a phase change, especially if the change is from snow to another frozen/freezing form and then back to snow.  But I do follow the guidelines.

Do you feel that not all types of storms are better represented by one method over another?  That is, by using one way for all storms, some storms aren't as well measured as they would be if we used different techniques for different kinds of storms?

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

I wouldn't mind if we were done for February, but for once I'd like a good March snowstorm.  Something 10+ would be nice.

Year to date I have 19.7" of snow.

The month has over two weeks to go- I don't think we're done for the whole month.  We could get one or two threats before the month is over and one or two in March also.

12 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

In the second hypothetical scenario, the day's snowfall reported would have been closer to 10.4" (maybe more) if wiping a board every 6 hours (6.4" round one, + 4" round two), rather than 8 inches as under the current guidelines.  I don't care for the new guidelines in the case of a phase change, especially if the change is from snow to another frozen/freezing form and then back to snow.  But I do follow the guidelines.

Don't forget, you are supposed to wipe the board once per day, at the same time every day if possible.

That's an excellent explanation of the proper method that makes it pretty clear IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Do you feel that not all types of storms are better represented by one method over another?  That is, by using one way for all storms, some storms aren't as well measured as they would be if we used different techniques for different kinds of storms?

Perhaps.  They are trying to keep it simple though.  It doesn't get much simpler than saying, "the deepest it gets, that's the days snowfall".

9 minutes ago, Paragon said:

The month has over two weeks to go- I don't think we're done for the whole month.  We could get one or two threats before the month is over and one or two in March also.

Yeah I think we could sneak something in, but it appears the "window of oppurtunity" that others have mentioned in the discussion thread will be closing shortly.

6 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Perhaps.  They are trying to keep it simple though.  It doesn't get much simpler than saying, "the deepest it gets, that's the days snowfall".

In a way I like it too.  The idea of measuring every 6 hours had a subjective feel to it- I mean, why specifically 6 hours?  The deepest it gets leaves no room for doubt......

From the big storm last year, was Newark the only one that was found to be using the wrong technique?  I wonder because JFK measured 30.7" with a 28" snow depth and 2.94 inch LE from what I recall.

I wonder if this revision means we won't see end of the season adjustments to the snowfall total like we saw with Newark and Central Park last year.

43 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Yea I know the rules lol, I was kidding mostly so I wasn't really thinking about what I was writing...

the other scnario is that had i not checked my board when I did, I'd be looking at a much lower total... I've compressed with freezing rain and sleet down to 5.5 since my last OBS... had I not checked it immediately after snow had stopped I may have never even known my max depth was 6.4"

guidlines blow

13 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Yea I know the rules lol, I was kidding mostly so I wasn't really thinking about what I was writing...

the other scnario is that had i not checked my board when I did, I'd be looking at a much lower total... I've compressed with freezing rain and sleet down to 5.5 since my last OBS... had I not checked it immediately after snow had stopped I may have never even known my max depth was 6.4"

guidlines blow

I think there is some weasel wording around sometimes needing to estimate.  Not sure how many I'd trust on this board to estimate.

13 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

There's a batch of precipitation developing in western NY and PA, hopefully  it holds together and gets some of us later. 

I'm hoping it's cold enough when that gets ehre for it to put down another inch or two.

44 minutes ago, snywx said:

Not looking forward to flying in tomorrow evening and having to take care of my walkway/driveway. Second hand report from the wife states a solid 5" otg. 

It's gonna be quite solid especially after the sun goes down tomorrow.  I keep wanting to just get something that melts it all.  Every time I see one of those jet shaped propane heaters in a garage I think what if it was tilted down towards the ground and you could just walk slowly and melt everything.  It probably wouldn't be any faster than other methods but it might be easier especially when things are frozen or so damned heavy because it's all slush or sleet.

12 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

guidlines blow

Darn rules...  I tend to only pay attention to the ones I agree with.  Not necessarily the best life lesson for me to impart to my kids :) 

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'm hoping it's cold enough when that gets ehre for it to put down another inch or two.

It's gonna be quite solid especially after the sun goes down tomorrow.  I keep wanting to just get something that melts it all.  Every time I see one of those jet shaped propane heaters in a garage I think what if it was tilted down towards the ground and you could just walk slowly and melt everything.  It probably wouldn't be any faster than other methods but it might be easier especially when things are frozen or so damned heavy because it's all slush or sleet.

Darn rules...  I tend to only pay attention to the ones I agree with.  Not necessarily the best life lesson for me to impart to my kids :) 

Snowing here again.. steady light snow, nice coating back on roads 

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Thanks for posting this.  I don't have a board yet, but still try and "play by the rules."

13 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Not a bad idea, but it would take a heck of a long time.  My father tried that on his snowblower, and he said it worked alright, but it took awhile to melt down the snow trapped in the augers.

Archived