joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Not good to be in the bullseye at this range but for s&g:

e55f2a16223e8c70402b084b093aefbc.jpg

The caboose wave in this progression looks like the winner. Jan 6-9 period will produce. Models still in some disagreement as to which wave.

Too early to get overly excited, much variability lately, would like to see more agreement among models. But, nice to see! :lmao:

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

No such worries here in Media Delaware County 37f cloudy freezing rain...right??

35F and light rain here now. It was 29F at some point after midnight, but no evidence of anything frozen having fallen here. Ground is wet (not icy) - I'd still watch out for slick spots at this hour, even at 35F.

Too early to get overly excited, much variability lately, would like to see more agreement among models. But, nice to see! :lmao:

*For now* the GFS/GFS-para are leading the way with the other models slowly trending towards them. GFS is the extreme on the stormy snowy end while the Euro is a miss to the SE. I'd be more concerned with 500mb patterns at this range but again, the GFS camps appears to be leading the way in how it is handling the energy off the NW coast with other guidance jumping towards it's depiction of that feature thru 96 hrs. Still a fair amt of disagreement thereafter but the Ukmet, CMC, and Euro are slowly trending towards a more healthy consolidated sw coming out of the NW. GEFS also showing a decent day 6-7 signal.

6z para was a huge hit btw. 

12z gefs are all over the place, Canadian has absolutely nothing for a weekend storm and fringes our area with some light snow on Friday with the first wave. ECM was basically nothing of consequence. Zero continuity or agreement chaos rules for now.

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

3' of snow in parts of VA on the 12Z GFS. Plenty of time to shift.

Yup, 18z shifted it south.  2' in North Carolina.

Last four runs for 00z Sunday:  00z lp in Tennesee, 06z lp off Myrtle Beach, 12z Tallahassee, 18z off coast of Daytona.  Not great trends. 

Looking like our best shot at snow will be with the first wave and not the caboose wave later in the weekend. So, while confidence for some wintry weather during the Jan 6-9 period is still above avg, I'm losing confidence in the trailing wave being able to produce for us later during that period, but rather a lighter event Friday morning. The kick in the gut is that I was gaining confidence that a snow threat in the deep South was losing potential assuming the seasonal trend of a SE Ridge would prevent such a storm from happening and shifting it North. But now at this hour it appears the South and part of the Southern mid-Atlantic are ground zero for a possible major snow event. So for now, going to focus on one wave at a time with the first light snow threat being late Thursday overnight and Friday morning. Ensembles are in decent agreement with this as are several of the op models. Doesn't look major but some light accumulations are certainly possible. We should accept any snow we can muster at this point....the pattern has been blah. And I hate looking too far ahead but there are hints on the horizon that the entire nation may experience coast to coast AN January thaw-like conditions as the month progresses. But first things first, lets see if things stay positive for later this week for something....anything.

Holy crap did the Euro just take huge steps towards last nights GFS weenie run. Like wow.

I didn't see it that way at all. Euro op looks like it adjusted to try and come to a solution somewhere between the GFS and yesterdays 12z Euro. EPS still have zero reflection of any storm...just strong HP over the East. I guess the one thing the caboose wave still has going is it's slowed down on the guidance that has it and we have 6 days still to adjust, but I'm not feeling it right now. However, one wave at a time.....I still think Friday morning will give some light accumulation in part of our region, enough to whiten the ground.

Wxsim with 6z NAM/GFS data has 0.67" of rain falling today here in NW Chesco. With the cold FROPA on Wednesday it indicates temperatures will remain below freezing from 10pm tomorrow evening through 10am on Tuesday the 10th. Only snow it currently is a little light snow Thursday into Friday AM with 0.2" of accumulation. At least it will be cold....starting to feel like the more traditional philly area winters of my childhood.

27 minutes ago, wederwarrior said:

Let's be real, next fall we will all be checking it.

I made a promise to myself at the end of last winter to check models only "occasionally" this season when a possible threat is real. I haven't been following every up to the minute model this year....just pop in here and there for an update. I pissed away so much time last season. Total waste of time unless it's your occupation.

22 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm pulling the white flag out of storage but will wait another 24 hours before raising it.

Ralph, you've hung in there well for this one. I think you should go down with the ship, or ride it into a sandbar (that would be for a dusting). Seriously, this has been a teaser and I'd be happy with an inch of snow between Thursday and Monday. Of course I wouldn't turn down more than that :-).

Capn-Ralph-on-SSWiggum.jpg

1 hour ago, Redmorninglight said:

Does anybody have an idea what the 12z Euro showed for Cape May?  Sorry to ask, but someone said it was like 8" for OCMD and i am not sure how sharp the cutoff is.  Thanks.

I would check a combo of the MA forum as much as this one due to your location. But to answer your question, you're in a good spot.

Archived