Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 11-12 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

How can you possibly know that as fact? Literally curious... has there even been enough anologs and samples to draw hat conclusion?

Those were well known Euro biases and were specifically addressed by ECMWF when they did the new upgrades to that model. Their scientists have produced a vastly superior model than the American and Canadian model suites for all these years. I trust them 

34 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Overamping isn't the problem. I know people want to dismiss the Euro because it's not showing a snowstorm, but why wouldn't that cyclone cut? There is no downstream -NAO/Greenland block to not allow it to do that. If you don't have frontside -NAO blocking and a shortwave develops at that location, it will cut

I think you generally see some sort of cutting, but the pattern overall I don't think supports something as strong and amped as the Euro has.

2 minutes ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

Never trust europran scientists...talk about bias...lol

The new Euro has not really been around long enough yet to know what its issues are.  Last winter though and to an extent this summer I did notice three things.  A tendency for bigger run to run fluctuations inside 144 hours that the old Euro did not have.  A tendency to overamp between 72-144 hours.  A tendency to suppress or be too dry inside 48-60.

It's been said before, but the upper flow is fast and riddled with little shortwaves zipping along. It could be several days before the models hone in on which impulse, if any, amplifies enough to support a storm. Verbatim on the GFS, the focus seems to be on Wednesday, but check out those height falls... I would think you run the risk of such strong CAA putting the kibosh on any significant cyclogenesis.

Archived