Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 - 2018 Winter Sports Thread

Jonger

Just now, slow poke said:

Just got back from a week in WY. It was cold and windy and somewhat snowy. Seen very little sun unfortunately. My son even got a little frost bite it was so cold. If anyone is looking for winter conditions, head west. The ridding is great right now out there.

IMG_1844.JPG

We put 160+ miles on the sleds yesterday, rode from our place at Higgins lake to just south of Traverse City. Good ride but did hit about a 5 mile section of trail with very little snow on it south of Fife Lake. Other then that spot, it was pretty good and everyone in our group had a great day. Looking like next weekend might be it for northern lower for a while with the warmup there calling for up there, mid 40's Saturday is what there saying now with no cool down in site after that. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really do a lot of riding on the trails (people go way too fast.. I'm shocked there isn't more accidents), but did ride from my house to Big Bay yesterday and was surprised to see so little traffic.  The trails were fine.  For me, the best riding imby is the area between trail 14 and trail 5 around the silver lake basin...tons of logging and power company land and the deepest snow of Marquette County. It's off the beaten track and pretty rugged but worth checking out if passing through.

14 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Took some pics earlier thought I would post them here as well. Picked up about 6-*" of new snow today.

16708262_10208124618492763_952029506692716681453_10208124618692768_576568663986616683890_10208124619452787_830137358676616602615_10208124619492788_6274099341233

Looking like Feb should this time of your in your area. Sounds like area's southwest of you might get some decent LES starting Tues night finally with a NNW wind. Places like southern Kalkaska, northern Missaukee and most of Grand Traverse county should pick up some good snow with that wind direction I hope. That's the area we spend most of our time playing off trail. With this coming weekend being Presidents and lots of people being off Monday it's going to be busy I bet rain snow or shine up there.

18 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Winter sports south of I 80, open water fishing.

0211171347-01.jpg

All our lakes are ice covered, but not safe enough to ice fish on. It's a real debacle. I actually saw someone pushing a flat bottom boat on the ice and ice fishing from that.

I actually trailered over to Ely this last weekend.  We mostly rode the small side trails and lakes.  Snow won't be as good by next weekend....

You will see in the pictures all of the downed and bent trees.  These are all from a storm last July that apparently had 80-90mph straightine winds.  The pictures don't do it justice how many trees got taken down throughout the area.

20170212_102029.jpg

20170212_112453.jpg

20170212_113245.jpg

20170212_113248.jpg

20170212_113415.jpg

5 hours ago, slow poke said:

Looking like Feb should this time of your in your area. Sounds like area's southwest of you might get some decent LES starting Tues night finally with a NNW wind. Places like southern Kalkaska, northern Missaukee and most of Grand Traverse county should pick up some good snow with that wind direction I hope. That's the area we spend most of our time playing off trail. With this coming weekend being Presidents and lots of people being off Monday it's going to be busy I bet rain snow or shine up there.

Yea Kalkaska and SW of them do really well on NNW flow, my area gets clipped but definitely not my preferred flow of either NW or WNW.  Some areas could clean up if a decent Lake Sup - Michigan flow gets established which is known to do in a NNW flow.

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

I'm planning on doing a day trip to Gaylord this Thursday. I don't know when I'll get the chance to ride again after that.

Riding should be pretty good, should get another 3-6 tonight-tomorrow , picked up about 8" in Saturday Night Sunday last weekend. Trails have been pretty decent especially during the week  this year as the Jordan Valley club has been helping the Gaylord club this year due to broken groomer. 

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

I got sick and couldn't go. Picked up my sled trailer and started getting a scratchy throat soon after.

Probably going to be a min of 10 days now before anything is possible.

From what I am seeing for this weekend and next week, 50s, sun and then rain, my area will probably  be back to zero, so would take a major long lasting cold shot to make things ridable. UP may be okay

13 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

From what I am seeing for this weekend and next week, 50s, sun and then rain, my area will probably  be back to zero, so would take a major long lasting cold shot to make things ridable. UP may be okay

North of M28 is my rule of thumb. I ride with a guy that has a place in Grand Marais, but even that area is going to take a hit.

8 hours ago, UMB WX said:

tonights GFS run has me pumped...only to be deflated as we near the projected event like has been the common theme here for 3 yrs now.

But just wow.  this baby has potential for the nw side of the sub.

I'm liking the double hitter starting Saturday. I'll 100% be in Gaylord Sunday if that pans out.

38 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Nice pics Josh...I especially liked the Munising shots. 

Those were my favorite too! Definitely the deepest snow in came across in the UP. Parts of the UP seemed to have as little as 4-6", and munising appeared to have 2.5 feet. Marquette had 18-24" to the west and east with less in the city.

3 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Gotta rent a sled some time Josh or come along with me. You will experience 100X the wintery fun that way... You can cover so much ground on those things.

I was talking about that with my friends since who likes to ride. I'm doing it next year, tired of never having that experience!

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Those were my favorite too! Definitely the deepest snow in came across in the UP. Parts of the UP seemed to have as little as 4-6", and munising appeared to have 2.5 feet. Marquette had 18-24" to the west and east with less in the city.

Hopefully, that trip will be enough to keep you content for the next 1-2 weeks. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Powerball said:

TRue, but the problem will still be getting any appreciable snow, aside from hit or miss LES action...

There are 3 storms in a row hitting my favorite spots and LES.

If the great lakes weren't there, I wouldn't own a snowmobile.

I don't care if it ever snows in Howell again. 

Archived