Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

8 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, if we manage to pull 2-3 out of this upcoming thing we are pretty much average.. I think all the negativity is a combination of post holiday depression and watching the deep south get a bigger snow storm than us to this point, then sprinkle on the fact that after the little cold spell things don't look conducive for more snow.

Combine that with the heart break of last year and I agree. From my untrained eye looks like next threat window is in 10 days according to the Euro. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, if we manage to pull 2-3 out of this upcoming thing we are pretty much average.. I think all the negativity is a combination of post holiday depression and watching the deep south get a bigger snow storm than us to this point, then sprinkle on the fact that after the little cold spell things don't look conducive for more snow.

I think the negativity comes with us getting nickeled and dimed all the time instead of getting the big storm which seems to always hit others around us. We're due. Last I checked, we're almost 4 inches below normal right now according to Pit. Of course, in this area, that varies depending on where you live. If we can get 2 or 3 inches from this, then Pit be closer to normal anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

MDZ001-PAZ031-074>076-WVZ021-509>514-050430-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0001.170105T1500Z-170106T1200Z/
GARRETT-GREENE-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-MARION-
MONONGALIA-RIDGES OF EASTERN MONONGALIA AND NORTHWESTERN PRESTON-
PRESTON-EASTERN PRESTON-WESTERN TUCKER-EASTERN TUCKER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MOUNTAIN LAKE PARK...OAKLAND MD...
GRANTSVILLE...WAYNESBURG...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...UNIONTOWN...
CHAMPION...OHIOPYLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN...COOPERS ROCK...
KINGWOOD...BRUCETON MILLS...TERRA ALTA...ROWLESBURG...HAZELTON...
PARSONS...HENDRICKS...SAINT GEORGE...DAVIS...THOMAS...
CANAAN VALLEY
323 PM EST WED JAN 4 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THURSDAY TO 7 AM
EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM
THURSDAY TO 7 AM EST FRIDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES.

* TIMING...STARTING THURSDAY AFTERNOON...WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW
  THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...SNOW WILL MAKE UNTREATED SURFACES SNOW COVERED AND
  SLICK.

* WINDS...WEST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW
WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW
COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

PLEASE REPORT SNOWFALL BY CALLING 412-262-1988, POSTING TO THE
NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE, OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH

Yeah, not a huge surprise the GFS is a fair bit drier than the NAM.  The latter with its higher resolution should technically be better at sorting the mesoscale features, but we also know it has a relative wet bias.  Maybe use a synthesis of the two models and settle on the mid-range.

6 hours ago, Ryd10 said:

p3Aht6h.pngWow I might actually tune into that. People down there can barely handle an inch. 

I hope that verifies for them.  Would rather they get it than the Mid-Atl people.  I still recall there was a storm in the early 2000's that was to hit the Raleigh area with about 2ft.  Jim Cantore, Weather Channel,  went there to report and I think they only received an inch of snow... An epic bust.

Funny story. 

I was out on a call late this morning and the businessman I met with said "what's going on with this snow?". I said yes we are going to get about an inch late this afternoon and evening. He said NO a customer was just in and said they changed it and we are going to get BURIED later today and he was worried. I guess social media has taken over. haha!:lol:

Funny story. 

I was out on a call late this morning and the businessman I met with said "what's going on with this snow?". I said yes we are going to get about an inch late this afternoon and evening. He said NO a customer was just in and said they changed it and we are going to get BURIED later today and he was worried. I guess social media has taken over. haha!

There's always somebody, that heard from someone, that heard from someone else, that heard from someone's first cousin twice removed, that heard on the news that we're supposed to get a foot. Never fails.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Looks like I'll be taking an L on the weekend storm.  The one storm out of the last fifty that hasn't had a north kick to it.  Confluence wins this round.

I don't know the last significant snow down there but they probably are a tad snow-starved in NC/Southern VA.  Same along the coast where rain is typically prevalent.

There's still a chance for something this winter, I think.  Maybe we lose a week or two in January and backload it.

3 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Looks like I'll be taking an L on the weekend storm.  The one storm out of the last fifty that hasn't had a north kick to it.  Confluence wins this round.

I don't know the last significant snow down there but they probably are a tad snow-starved in NC/Southern VA.  Same along the coast where rain is typically prevalent.

There's still a chance for something this winter, I think.  Maybe we lose a week or two in January and backload it.

The NAM is trying to spoil their fun

3 hours ago, Ryd10 said:

Obviously these can be skewed somewhat but judging from these. We are due bigly 

Gf1ZPbJ.png

Seeing this is where I get frustrated. If we got an 8-12 type storm every two years I'd be thrilled, however, I don't think we've had one since feb of 2010.

most of our 5 inch storms even are overperfofming clippers. The storm last year where uniontown got two feet and we got 5 inches was brutal.

15 minutes ago, SteelCity08 said:

Someone not too far to our south is going to get 6 inches out of this. Been good returns down there for the past few hour. Radar not looking so great for us though attm.

Yeah, I'll probably pull an inch out of this, but south of I-70 might over perform. Overall was modeled pretty well, most forecasts I saw had me in the 1-2 inch range.

Archived