joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Local Impacts to the NYC area from Hurricane Matthew

NJwx85

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is still early to say exactly what our local impacts will be. Obviously the speed of Matthew will be critical in determining exactly what kind of impacts we are going to see, so to make a call either way at this point is still premature. We all know how fickle these situations can be so I wouldn't be making an definitive statements just yet.

2 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I don't think you guys are going to like the results of the Euro if you want impacts up here from what I am hearing, but lets see.

The trough looks flat and quite progressive again, so Matthew is kicked ENE and therefore little impact north of VA Beach or so. Matthew also slows down, which allows the trough to catch up to Matthew and shunt it away.

It doesn't really matter how far NW Matthew gets towards FL or even SC/GA, if the westerlies up north are too progressive and the ridge not strong enough, it gets booted east. 

1 minute ago, Rtd208 said:

So where did this loop come from all of a sudden? This thing is having more twist and turns then a mountain road in Columbia.

Because the Euro has Matthew missing the trough all together now, so it gets tugged slightly NE and then drifts SE. A little slower and Matthew probably gets stalled out completely somewhere near the FL/GA border.

Just now, stockmanjr said:

To be honest after looking what it would due to FL's east coast I really don't care about the rain that we would get. The EURO has catastrophe written all over it..

I agree, that would be quite damaging from Palm Beach County on north. Unfortunately models are all converging on a track pretty close to the FL coast, and a good environment to stay powerful. Hopefully it stays 50 miles or so offshore so the real damaging effects are kept to just the beaches. It won't be that large like storms up north are, so that might mean just tropical storm conditions for the cities and offshore wind. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Because the Euro has Matthew missing the trough all together now, so it gets tugged slightly NE and then drifts SE. A little slower and Matthew probably gets stalled out completely somewhere near the FL/GA border.

The million dollar question, is it right, at this point is any model solution right. We are just going to have to wait yet since I think there will be more changes IMO. One thing that seems pretty certain is that the southeast coast is going to take a beating.

Archived