• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mr Bob

Jeff pointed out the recent pressure pattern of NA and believes that is the killer for the US cold odds for lr. If retrogression occurs as models indicate, that goa/western canada lp area will not be there but, further west. It s possible models are wrong or pressure pattern shifts west then back into same area. We shall see.

2005-6 featured a similar ssw/ pv displacement as is going on now in January that year and the pattern flipped to cold february. So, just curious to why you are leaning to a locked in pac. pattern Jeff ? Is it la nina, persistence in current longevity of pressure pattern or other ? Just curious to your rational.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone. Hope everybody is doing well and had a good summer. This whole summer and fall has been extremely warm. I don't remember many years like this. I think finally our warm streak is coming to an end with more seasonal temps. At this point I'm more worried about getting a wetter pattern this winter than getting cold air. Numerous wildfires have been ongoing this week across the area. We need rain bad.

14 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

Jeff pointed out the recent pressure pattern of NA and believes that is the killer for the US cold odds for lr. If retrogression occurs as models indicate, that goa/western canada lp area will not be there but, further west. It s possible models are wrong or pressure pattern shifts west then back into same area. We shall see.

2005-6 featured a similar ssw/ pv displacement as is going on now in January that year and the pattern flipped to cold february. So, just curious to why you are leaning to a locked in pac. pattern Jeff ? Is it la nina, persistence in current longevity of pressure pattern or other ? Just curious to your rational.

I am mainly bearish November and early December. Chart I show is a mid-range indicator. Long range could still flip no problem. That said early SSW is not correlated to a cold winter. One looks for SSW assault to continue into December; then, correlation increases. I have some thoughts in the Winter thread. Fall looks to continue mild though I figure.

The amount of precip backed way off on the 12z today, the 06z was still very wet, it spun up a miller A and drenched us and buried the mountains under feet of snow. Big time cold coming on every run. 10-20 degrees below normal behind the big front coming in a week or so on it. Snow showers still showing up with the mountains getting hammered from around the 19th to the 22nd.

Historically huge snow events can happen in late November, and the 20-23rd or so time frame has delivered two of the biggest snows in East Tennessee history.

Tough to get moisture in when your in a drought.More solar radiation reduces water vapors,so we need a relative strong system to really produce and not to dampen fronts out.We need something like John is talking about on the GFS .But,like he said it's backing off.Seems the typical pattern we are in

2016 17 Winter Outlook-   Walts Weather.png

Cold front that John has been talking about has virtually "evaporated" on today's GFS runs. The upper level support has trended much further to the north. This doesn't lead for much support for the cold front. There have been numerous brush fires this weekend and the situation is only getting worse. Literally throwing a cigarettes out car windows is starting fires.

The rain/precip is not looking robust on the GFS again today, maybe .5-.75 for the whole 16 days. The cold is coming though. A few warm days with SW winds ahead of frontal passages but for the most part cold, and pretty serious cold at that. Still popping a lot of 10 to 20 degrees below normal for the east with several passing shots of snow showery weather for us.

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

The rain/precip is not looking robust on the GFS again today, maybe .5-.75 for the whole 16 days. The cold is coming though. A few warm days with SW winds ahead of frontal passages but for the most part cold, and pretty serious cold at that. Still popping a lot of 10 to 20 degrees below normal for the east with several passing shots of snow showery weather for us.

Yeah, does look like possible first flakes this coming weekend as gl moisture should get pulled down and upsloped behind ma/ne storm system. not unusual nor shocking nws makes no mention of this. Same every year with first flakes potential.

As far as extended, Euro just doesn't want to lock in a -nao or cold pattern for the East although, I've not checked latest run. it may have changed.

I am currently ready to leave the current weather pattern of the dry, no storms, no rain, no snow, extreme heat, ample smoke/fires, dead grass, fried garden variety.   Looking forward to some cool weather this weekend and maybe seasonably cool/cold weather for December.  Please don't tell me it won't happen, because my shrubs and bushes are going to die of thirst if they hear anything but good news. :D

Getting there. Looks like plenty of blocking and a -NAO by early December. Pacific flow continues into the West though, so the mild Chinook could bleed from the Plains all the way in here. Either way I think super warm will depart for a few weeks. Mid-December Euro tries to put more ridging in the West which would finally usher in the belows. CFS does not concur but it missed the upcoming, not as warm.

Got around .2 this morning in a pretty good thunderstorm. Wish it'd been more, but hopefully it at least slowed the fires down a little bit and hopefully the rain Wednesday comes to pass as well. Looks like the pattern is waking up a little and we will have some chances of rain every 3-4 days for the next few weeks instead of basically nothing for 20-30 days.  Models are spitting out around .5 to 1+  inch valley wide over the next 10 days. Doesn't sound like a lot, and it's not enough really but it's a lot better than it has been. Not much in the way of above average temps coming for the next 2 weeks either. Maybe a day or so with SW winds ahead of fronts, but generally pretty cold. The Canadian, which may be too cold, has some mid-upper 10s in the area several times as we head into late November.

GFS and other models are trying to amp up the moisture at least.  Trough drops into the west and turns the flow southwest here. This gives plenty of moisture for systems to work with.

00z also has a Miller A develop and bring snow to the area in a little over a week or so, not a lot of snow due to time of year, but the NW side of the storm dropped an inch or two in middle Tennessee in that run.

We've changed the hot pattern, stepped down into normal or below normal temps. The shake up to the drought pattern would be a big next step. The GFS is showing 3-6 inches of rain over the Valley over the next 2 weeks and the Canadian really dumps on the southern Valley/North Georgia with the big system around day 7-8. Showing 4-6 inches of rain over that area and western NC with around 1-2 inches over the Chattanooga area. There's another big precip maker inbound at the end of it's run.

Finally starting to get excited about some the chances of getting real liquid next week...  Also liking seeing the 540 in the last couple of GFS runs going south of the southern TN border.  06Z even has some light precip falling through in the wake of next weeks storm with the 540 well south nearing the GOM.  Surface of course too warm, but it starts to get me in the winter mood to see those type of model depictions. 

06Z GFS.jpg

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived