• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2016 Final Grade

Powerball

We typically do this for the Winter, so I would like to do it for this Summer.

Overall Grade - B+

Skycover = A+.

In total, Detroit has only had 10 cloudy days all season. To put things in perspective, Just in June 2013 - 2015 alone, there were 9, 11 and 16 cloudy days respectively. 

Temperature = A+.

Temperatures were consistently warm and I don't recall any notable cool downs the entire season. What was really impressive about this season was how DTW just wouldn't be denied with late day temperature rallies. In several instances, for one reason or another, we'd get stuck into the upper 70s during the early afternoon hours and still somehow rebound into the 90s later in the afternoon, especially throughout July.

Thunderstorm / Severe Weather Activity = C-.

This Summer just plain sucked for severe weather. I think there was a total of one severe weather warning for Wayne County, and really only one notable episode of severe weather in the Metro Detroit area (a lone supercell that hit the Downriver communities on 7/8/16). And I don't ever recall a Summer with the dearth of general thunderstorm activity that we saw from March to July this year (I can count the total number of t'storms during this time frame on one hand). That said, August did make up for it to some extent. During the last 3 weeks of the months, it seems like we were getting solid garden-variety storms every other day, including deluges. 

Summary:

The best way to describe is being the equivalent of a Winter where there's consistent deep snowpack, snowflakes in the air, overcast skies, etc. but one that's lacking in snowstorms. And frankly, the only thing preventing this Summer from being a solid A was the underwhelming convection episodes. 

I'll give it a solid A here.  Wasn't all that great for widespread severe; lack of notable severe MCS compared to many years, but we've had a lot of thunderstorms this summer.  Can't beat that.  Had enough heat to satisfy most around here that would like an appreciable amount of summer heat.  Didn't have much in the way of intense heat (upper 90s), but the high heat index values made up for that.  The relentless high humidity did wear on me by the last month or so of summer, but that's actually pretty impressive that the summer got to me in that way.  Also going to make going into the Fall season that much sweeter.  

Grade A here. Lots of warm, dry weather, allowing for outdoor activities. We only had 12 days with heavy rain, just enough to keep us out of drought and near normal. As Joel says, no excessive heat, but lots of high dews, with warm nights.

Two tornadoes (although they were in the middle of the night) here in the county, with many more in surrounding counties (8/24), allowing me to witness 2 EF-0's and and an EF-1, plus numerous funnels and great cloud structure.

No complaints here.

A-

I had to throw the minus in due to the extremely quiet early summer severe season.  Otherwise, this summer was great.  It was consistently warm and occasionally very humid(4-5 day stretch of 80 dews), but we only hit 90 a small handful of times.  We had regular storms all summer.  The storms produced quite a bit of rain (20 inches), which I love, but it was pretty evenly spaced out so flooding was a non-issue.  It seems like every storm event this summer nailed somebody in the region with 3-5" or higher, but it was nearly always a narrow band, and a different area would get the next one.  Whenever we could use an inch of rain, we got it.  Whenever we could use a 3-5 day dry stretch, we got it.  I would be pretty happy if every summer could be like this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that summer is officially over I give it a solid A. It was a great boating season, lakes were warm. We were in our pool more this summer then the past two combined.  Most weekends had nice weather. My area had plenty of rain, not many good T storms but the grass looked great all season. Actually the yard still looks lush and green. The corn and beans around us look fantastic this year also. Not many bugs around home or up north either. I'm hoping this weather holds out for another two months or so then lets see what winter brings us.

Solid A-, it was a nice summer to go outdoors but the weather was boring as hell in July and all the grass turned brown so I gotta dock marks for that, and the days with mid-high 70s dew points in August sucked ass, but there were frequent breaks from the humidity and the temperatures were fine. Overall lots of sunshine, nice weather, and in August it was pretty awesome to have so many days with air-mass thunderstorms despite the lack of anything remotely severe. This September has been pretty solid so far too, lots of sunshine and not a day below 70.

• 1 month later...

I am a new member here, and I know this might be too late, but I thought I would give my grades for the following summers where I am, as I am a big fan of hot dry summer weather. Sunshine also factors in for the dryness grades.

2016: A or A+ for temperature, A for dryness

2015: D+ for temperature, B for dryness

2014: F or D- for temperature, C for dryness

2013: C for temperature, D for dryness

2012: A- or A for temperature, A for dryness

2011: A- or A for temperature, B+ for dryness

2010: B+ or A- for temperature, C for dryness

2009: F for temperature, D for dryness

2008: D for temperature, F for dryness

2007: B for temperature, A+ for dryness

2006: B for temperature, C+ for dryness

2005: A+ for temperature, B for dryness

2004: F for temperature, D for dryness

2003: C for temperature and dryness

2002: A for temperature and dryness

2001: C+ or B- for temperature, A for dryness

2000: F for temperature, D for dryness

1999: B+ or A- for temperature and dryness

1998: C+ or B- for temperature, A- for dryness

1997: D for temperature, B- for dryness

1996: D for temperature and dryness

1995: A- for temperature, B- for dryness

1994: D+ for temperature, C for dryness

1993: C+ or B- for temperature, C+ for dryness

1992: F for temperature and dryness

1991: C+ for temperature, B+ for dryness

1990: C- for temperature and dryness

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:15 PM, ConfusedKitten said:

Solid A-, it was a nice summer to go outdoors but the weather was boring as hell in July and all the grass turned brown so I gotta dock marks for that, and the days with mid-high 70s dew points in August sucked ass, but there were frequent breaks from the humidity and the temperatures were fine. Overall lots of sunshine, nice weather, and in August it was pretty awesome to have so many days with air-mass thunderstorms despite the lack of anything remotely severe. This September has been pretty solid so far too, lots of sunshine and not a day below 70.

Warmest October since 2007

Warmest September since 2002 (Tied with 2015 or slightly cooler than 2015 in parts of Southern Ontario)

Warmest August since 1959

Warmest June-July since 2012

It was definitely a great warm season for heat after the 2013-2015 letdown (Especially 2014). Best summer since 2005 here.

6 hours ago, GTAWX1993 said:

Warmest October since 2007

Warmest September since 2002 (Tied with 2015 or slightly cooler than 2015 in parts of Southern Ontario)

Warmest August since 1959

Warmest June-July since 2012

It was definitely a great warm season for heat after the 2013-2015 letdown (Especially 2014). Best summer since 2005 here.

Yeah I've been enjoying it, the lack of grey days has been especially awesome so far this November. I wouldn't be surprised if we're already close to the 67 sunshine hours we usually get in the whole month. That said I'd really like for some cold weather right about now, last winter was a real bummer.

Archived