There will be a Weather-Ready Nation Ceremony on

Saturday at 2 pm, featuring:

The Honorable Barbara Comstock, U.S. Congresswoman - Virginia 10th District

Dr. Louis Uccellini, Director - U.S. National Weather Service

Doug Hill, Chief Meteorologist - ABC7/WJLA-TV

Kevin Johnson, Director of Emergency Management - Loudoun County VA

and James Lee, Meteorologist in Charge - NWS Baltimore/Washington

(plus the usual Skywarn classes...)

Sounds very nice but that's a long drive for me and I'm busy that weekend anyway.

I will, however, be at the Skywarn tropical class in Leonardtown on May 5, but I doubt anyone from this forum will be at that.

Somehow LWX no longer has my SKYWARN registration on file/assigned my ID number to a new person. They said I have to retake Basic. My family has a condo down in Leonardtown so if I had Basic I'd be there!

Somehow LWX no longer has my SKYWARN registration on file/assigned my ID number to a new person. They said I have to retake Basic. My family has a condo down in Leonardtown so if I had Basic I'd be there!

Wow that's crazy. They don't have anything on file with your name/address or any other way to verify you took it before? When did you take Basic before? I think they sent me a confirmation E-mail when I completed mine? Maybe you could send them that (if you saved it).

50/50 chance of going

I have a 2% to 97.5% chance of going.

There is a 12%-37% chance that I will go and be early.

There is a 28%-45% chance that I will go and be on time.

There is a 42%-63% chance that I will go and be late.

There is a 51%-75% chance that I won't go.

There is a 64%-81% chance that I will go but there will only be trace amounts of me there.

Wow that's crazy. They don't have anything on file with your name/address or any other way to verify you took it before? When did you take Basic before? I think they sent me a confirmation E-mail when I completed mine? Maybe you could send them that (if you saved it).

It was a LONGGGG time ago. I asked if they throw out old registrations and they said they do not. I did Basic before I hit the age requirement but my ID number did work for quite a while. I suspect somewhere along the way the time elapsed is what caused the problem. I don't mind taking the training again but I haven't found a class that's at a convenient time or place for me. 

I don't have an email anymore to prove that I was trained. All I know is it worked before and when I went to report snowfall during the blizzard they literally had no idea who I was. They said my ID number now belongs to a person who lives at a different address. Very weird indeed. 

It was a LONGGGG time ago. I asked if they throw out old registrations and they said they do not. I did Basic before I hit the age requirement but my ID number did work for quite a while. I suspect somewhere along the way the time elapsed is what caused the problem. I don't mind taking the training again but I haven't found a class that's at a convenient time or place for me.

I don't have an email anymore to prove that I was trained. All I know is it worked before and when I went to report snowfall during the blizzard they literally had no idea who I was. They said my ID number now belongs to a person who lives at a different address. Very weird indeed.

Same happened here. Took the class with Barbara Watson about 15 years ago. There was no record of me doing so even a year after so I never bothered to follow up. I was pissed.

Same happened here. Took the class with Barbara Watson about 15 years ago. There was no record of me doing so even a year after so I never bothered to follow up. I was pissed.

It was probably 11 or 12 years ago for me. I took it in downtown Silver Spring at the NOAA building if I'm remembering correctly. I remember I was too young by a year or so at that time so they said they'd make an exception or something. ID worked fine for many years. Interesting to hear it happened to somebody else. Not only did they reassign my ID somehow but they also had no record of my address, name or anything. Almost like I was erased from the system. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived