• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

Can you imagine something like this ever passing UNDER our latitude ...heading off the Del Marva out over the G-string ?

nice

my other dastardly fantasy is to take a 100 mile X 100 mile X 1 mi deep slab of Amazonian solstice air mass, and just plop it down in the core of the SH polar vortex ... just to see what happens... 

gfs_namer_180_500_vort_ht.gif

You could have some fun with modeling and just alter the initial conditions.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next. Lipsticking a pig we might get a save but this setup sucks. ROC and SYR again? JC I couldn't read your maps. To me GGEM looked like a pig smelled like a pig. Not the best way to start 12z, save a horse ride the NAM?

My handwriting or you couldn't see the images? I was just pointing out the players at various forecast times.

I must be missing something in the 3 hour panels, looks like a carbon of the Ukmet to me.

It's pretty similar...my previous post stands though. That was pretty big change from 00z aloft.

I know it's not exciting when it still cuts, but if that southern stream rumbles south a bit longer, then it would probably start meaning more wintry for the interior.

As is, probably just some ZR to start and then rain.

It's pretty similar...my previous post stands though. That was pretty big change from 00z aloft.

I know it's not exciting when it still cuts, but if that southern stream rumbles south a bit longer, then it would probably start meaning more wintry for the interior.

As is, probably just some ZR to start and then rain.

It's hard for me to compare 12z vs 0z so I am not trying to say you were wrong.

It's hard for me to compare 12z vs 0z so I am not trying to say you were wrong.

It really won't mater anyway unless the trend continues.

This setup really needs two things...either a front runner wave which has all but disappeared...or a -NAO which we basically haven't had all winter save for mid January.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't been watching that s/w rotating around the PV around 192 (this run) for a few runs now on different model guidance. Get it beneath us and it should be snow given the n/s origin.

That's been showing up off and on...definitely something to watch.

I was curious if Steve knows where Pitt is lol.

That certainly looks most likely. Ensembles say we still can't fully rule out a mixed precip scenario.

I just wasted so much time on this thinking it was going to be a fun wintry week. Colossal fail . Torch weekend.. Tomorrow nite a miss and a warm rainy week is what we end up. Kind of in spring mode now

I just wasted so much time on this thinking it was going to be a fun wintry week. Colossal fail . Torch weekend.. Tomorrow nite a miss and a warm rainy week is what we end up. Kind of in spring mode now

Yeah I do understand the feeling. Unfortunately, as was previously mentioned (Will or Tip maybe?) this is a spring fake-out, it's February 20th not April 20th.

I also don't think it is prudent to completely write off the threat to New England when there are like 3 or 4 shortwaves interacting in this and none of them are over land yet. The ridge is too far west and it's probably a killer but lets get within 72 hours or so to call it dead.

Yeah I do understand the feeling. Unfortunately, as was previously mentioned (Will or Tip maybe?) this is a spring fake-out, it's February 20th not April 20th.

I posted in pattern thread.. But the long range stuff doesn't look promising IMO. All the cold stays bottled up. Not much mechanism to bring it south. And not overly stormy . Maybe a lot of 45-50 days and 20-25 nights

I said it looked like a cutter 4 days ago, mentioned four or five times that the ensembles continued to show a cutter as a distinct possibility. I've said all along that the ukmet gave me pause due to its hot streak, I said two posts before the one you quoted that I thought rain for everyone in NE was the most likely solution at this point.

I thought there were some interesting changes on this 18z GFS run, actually...

Namely, the whole structure of ...everything is clicked east some 3 longitude on the whole. 

Also, there is slightly less front side DPVA on this run, and as a result, ...comparing former run-time intervals, the low in western PA is substantially weaker on this run than the prior two cycles. 

That's important, because there's enough cold ...albeit barely, that if weaker jet field rides in at 850 mb (because the cyclogen is weaker SW of us), that means the erosion is slow and the cold fights back (probably) with somewhat longer stayed lead-side ageostrophic drain... 

Also, the 500 mb has more dynamic wind energy in the southern aspect of the trough, showing marked "sharpening" structure more as it nears the Carolina coast compared to the deeper closed northern aspect of the trough on prior runs...  

If nothing else ...these morphologies should remind as that at D5/6 there is plenty of time for this to augment.   Also, tho less dependable over all ...let us remind that there were a couple of other model types with substantially more wintry appeal over all. 

I know...I know. It is hard if not unwilling to keep an open mind/perspective on matters when your ass is too entirely sore by unrelenting bad luck all winter.  Add in, people just straight up feel more comfortable with an actual system in the right time/place/intensity on the actual chart - understood.  

But objectively, I'm not ready to sign off on this as an 86er just yet.  The stuff we talked about early, re the follow-up wave perhaps pushing/correcting the lead more E is still not resolved in my mind; additionally and related to ... all the governing mechanics to all this cluster f is out over the Pac - lots could morph around when this stuff starts coming over land in 24 to 36 hours. 

Full on spring mode.  Was 60 degrees up to GFL today.  Spring rains all the way to Lake Placid.  Bare ground in lots of places that should be 4 feet deep right now.

ALB, GFL, POU, PSF and many other places are going to break snowfall records this year.

Archived