• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to give you a guys a few storms from the book that I had no idea about that I thought were pretty amazing. The book starts with events from 1812. I'll only include the really big ones, there are tons of 1'+ storms in here. I'm missing quite a few and didn't include the ones after 1977 which most know of already. The surprising part was how many early/late season events there were throughout the last 200 or so years.

Feb. 3-5 1845: 2 feet of snow across WNY. Drifts 10-12' in Buf and Roc

Jan. 30-3, 1855: Deep snow pack was severely drifted. 10'+. Scenario was similar to 1977. Followed by extreme cold of -20 degs.

Jan. 12-13 1856: Lake effect storm that hit Buffalo with 2 feet of snow + extreme winds with drifts over 8'.

April 23 1859: 18" of general snow. Greatest April snowstorm in Buffalos history. Second major snowstorm in just over a month.

Jan. 10-17 1865 31" in Buffalo Metro

Dec 11, 1886: Buffalo received 26" of snow in 8 hours. A 12" general snowfall followed on the 16th.

Jan 26-28 1867: Fierce winds whipped a deep snow pack (94" fell in Buffalo during Dec/Jan) 20' snow drifts.

Nov. 15-19 1872- 34" of snow in suburbs of Buffalo

Dec. 20-25 1878 General/LES: "The Great Christmas Storm" 39" with wind gusts of up to 72 MPH

Jan. 7-9 1892 33" of snow with 44 MPH winds.

April 10-11 1894. General snowfall of 30" with winds up to 26 MPH. Very heavy snow that brought down many trees/power lines.

Jan. 12-15 1895: 26.5" with 40 MPH winds.

Dec. 6-7, 1898: Lake effect snow of 3 1/2 feet with winds up to 54 MPH in Buffalo and suburbs

Feb. 28th- March 2nd 1900: Buffalos largest ever synoptic storm. 40" of snow with winds up to 36 MPH.

Dec. 15-17 1926: 3 feet of LES with winds up to 50 MPH. Blizzard conditions

Dec. 17-18 1927. 4 feet of snow in Hamburg, winds up to 54 MPH. People trapped in homes.

Oct. 18-19 1930: 4 feet of lake effect snow, stranding thousands of motorists and bringing down trees/power lines. Most destructive storm aside from 2006? Snowfall of 3-4' was common from Dunkirk to Hamburg.  Dozens of roofs collapsed.

Dec. 7-10 1937: Lake effect snow dropped 33.4" of snow. Hardest hit areas were the north towns of Buffalo. Winds up to 45 mph, with drifts approaching 20 feet.

Dec. 12th, 1944. General snowstorm with 2 feet of snow throughout WNY.

Dec. 15-17 1945: 71" of snow in Lancaster, 68" in Lackawanna. Buffalos third LES in under a month set a new 24 hr record if 24.3".

Nov. 22-23 1956: 4 feet+ of LES with winds over 35 MPH.

Nov. 22-23 1957: 4 feet of LES. Hardest hit were southtowns of Buffalo

Dec. 5-10 1958: 5 feet of snow in southern tier.

Nov. 29/30 1960: 3 feet of snow, hardest hit North of Buffalo/GEnesee counties.

Jan. 22-23 1966: General snowstorm that dropped 36" of snow in southeastern suburbs of  Buffalo.

Nov 29th- Dec 2nd 1976: 4+ feet of LES in Buffalo and suburbs. Very cold temps below zero.

Dec 24-25 1978: 3 feet of general snow fell throughout WNY. Up to 5" per hour was experienced in the southern tier, rates seldom received except in LES snowstorms.

Well that's what the research showed. Just saying.

I know, and thanks for sharing. I'm just wondering what you and others think about those numbers? Dont they seem quite high compared to past experience on ice events? I honestly start becoming very concerned about my home and trees at the .5" mark.

That's rubbish. All hell breaks lose by 1". I've seen storms with even less than that cause signicant issues.

That said, this is a tough thing to quantify as there are many variables such as tree type, wind, amount of time since last ice event, time of year, Etc. But my god, to say that 1 inch isn't that bad unless there are strong winds is just crazy.

I work in high voltage transmision, our experience is that we can tolerate up to 3/4" of ice pretty well, just scattered distribution level outages mainly from fallen limbs etc. At 1" or more it just gets progressively worse. At 1.5" of ZR accretion and higher, there are more widespread power outages and likely more complicated recovery with significant restoration times. I think the worst conditions are low winds and smaller droplet sizes that enable accretion to be more efficient.

#‎BREAKING‬: Police shut down the Skyway in both directions as freezing rain blankets local roadways in ice.

There are accidents on both the inbound and outbound Skyway and the 198 is blocked off at the Niagara Street exit due to a massive pileup.

Drivers urged caution and Sabres fans urged to find different route home.

12806221_10153911106935505_1849313432543

I thought it was windy last night.

LOCATION MAX WIND TIME/DATE COMMENTS
GUST OF
MPH MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ALLEGANY COUNTY...
WELLSVILLE MUNICIPAL 46 743 PM 2/29 ASOS

...ERIE COUNTY...
BUFFALO AIRPORT 51 304 PM 2/29 ASOS

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...
FORT DRUM AIRFIELD 54 745 PM 2/29 AWOS
WATERTOWN AIRPORT 48 729 PM 2/29 ASOS

...NIAGARA COUNTY...
NIAGARA FALLS AIRPOR 54 331 PM 2/29 ASOS

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
OSWEGO COUNTY AIRPOR 49 748 PM 2/29 ASOS

#‎BREAKING‬: Police shut down the Skyway in both directions as freezing rain blankets local roadways in ice.

There are accidents on both the inbound and outbound Skyway and the 198 is blocked off at the Niagara Street exit due to a massive pileup.

Drivers urged caution and Sabres fans urged to find different route home.

12806221_10153911106935505_1849313432543

Man I got lucky just passed that 198 15 mins ago and it was freaking ice skate rink

Its absolutely amazing to me how quickly this system became a non-event.  The Euro has been absolute garbage as of late with the GFS and NAM not even in the running.  From the looks of the Satellite, this  system is starting to head NE which to me looks like it may in-fact go right over the lake, Lake Erie that is.  

I haven't been following this system as much as I usually do because after seeing the absolute debacle that was about to happen, I simply stopped the agony in its tracks,

Its absolutely amazing to me how quickly this system became a non-event.  The Euro has been absolute garbage as of late with the GFS and NAM not even in the running.  From the looks of the Satellite, this  system is starting to head NE which to me looks like it may in-fact go right over the lake, Lake Erie that is.  

I haven't been following this system as much as I usually do because after seeing the absolute debacle that was about to happen, I simply stopped the agony in its tracks,

Actually it's more of an event here than anywhere in the USA. The amount of ice that has accumulated has a greater impact than 4-8" of snow.

Of my 13 yrs of living here in CNY this by, has been the worse hands down and right behind this one is 11-12, if I'm not mistaken and I would love to see upper 60's to lower 70's as all guidance is advertising after this next Clipper debacle where in any other year this Clipper would blow up as soon as it hits the coast, but this yr they just seem to scoot by unharming.

Of my 13 yrs of living here in CNY this by, has been the worse hands down and right behind this one is 11-12, if I'm not mistaken and I would love to see upper 60's to lower 70's as all guidance is advertising after this next Clipper debacle where in any other year this Clipper would blow up as soon as it hits the coast, but this yr they just seem to scoot by unharming.

11-12 and 12-13 were worse here than this year for MBY.

Archived