Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canadian jumps on the tuesday train.

Tell you it's gonna be harder to avid snow in the SE sun through thurs next week then it is to see it imo. I'm not saying big dog, although I wouldn't dismiss it, but alot of folks are gonna see some flakes flying. And the mtns are gonna rack up with upslope. Best part is the frigid days to follow at end of week.

Canadian jumps on the tuesday train.

Tell you it's gonna be harder to avid snow in the SE sun through thurs next week then it is to see it imo. I'm not saying big dog, although I wouldn't dismiss it, but alot of folks are gonna see some flakes flying. And the mtns are gonna rack up with upslope. Best part is the frigid days to follow at end of week.

Wouldn't take much adjustments for you guys in central/eastern NC to get a a good'ern next week!!!  The skies has finally healed around here from last storm, so we might squeeze out a flurry around here next week?

Big phase is missed by about the state of TN on the Canadian at 150hrs. With the Sunday system, the Canadian's handling of the short wave is pretty different than the 12z run, plus a lot quicker, therefore I would be inclined to toss without seeing its ens suite yet. The GFS at least has some run to run consistency, even if it is a little NW of center in its ensembles.

Big phase is missed by about the state of TN on the Canadian at 150hrs. With the Sunday system, the Canadian's handling of the short wave is pretty different than the 12z run, plus a lot quicker, therefore I would be inclined to toss without seeing its ens suite yet. The GFS at least has some run to run consistency, even if it is a little NW of center in its ensembles.

Would the higher resolution of the operational models compared to the ensembles be more likely to handle the phasing better, and result in the ensembles being too far SE?

Looks NW compared to its past runs, however. Stronger (998 vs 1005 mb) and further NW of the GGEM at hr 120.

Compared to:

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

Yep, good point and good to see.  It's also well southwest with the follow-on digging trough at 144...so, should be at least some light snows with it

Yep, looking at 5h on Canadian...it misses phase like you said and is more positive tilt.  Canadian ensemble follows with this same look - it's colder, but weaker and more off the coast than its 12z run - I can't see 5h with it yet

Would the higher resolution of the operational models compared to the ensembles be more likely to handle the phasing better, and result in the ensembles being too far SE?

Not to a large degree and we are inside 5 days for the Sunday system so I would be giving more weight to the ops as long as none are in left field within their own suite. This should be the range where the increased resolution works out those finer interactions, instead of widely changing from one run to the next as we often see beyond day 5.

Archived