• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February Pattern Disco

40/70 Benchmark

We've been lucky for two winters ('13-'14 and last year) without much NAO blocking...we can survive better than the M.A. without it, though even they did pretty well in those years.

But a lot of times it doesn't work even with a good EPO region and adjacent areas...ala 1988-1989, 1980-1981, and even 1990-1991. I'm not one to want to rely on it and gamble the PNA up to EPO region will save us. We were probably lucky that the years were positive ENSO or we would have been screwed.

I know that just stating what has happened the last half decade. One question I need to check out some day is of the last 15 years when my yearly average jumped 16% how many of those snow storms were during -NAO states. Monthly stats don't tell the real story. The dailies are far more representative.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a big reason why LR forecasting is so inaccurate. There's about a million things that "can go wrong" to screw it up. Some of them we probably are not even aware of.

Absolutely.

I hope Scott doesn't get the impression that I'm trying to undermine him in any way, but its just so difficult to pinpoint causation, that you can drive yourself bat$hit.

I wouldn't even go there unless you have the definitive causation figured yourself.

My point to that, is the reason why it flipped was from the troposphere. Thank God it did because January could have been ugly. I'm not saying else, but that. Has absolutely zero to do with stratosphere.

Agreed.

As far as Cohen goes, but you still have to credit those who called for blocking in general.

Say what you will, but I think what is about to happen is related to Cohen's work....possibly even indirectly, who knows...

Ray if you recall, I said if we see anything.... it would probably be in February regarding any SSW. I also said I think that is highly overrated and that the Pacific was more important to me. I stand by that. I have no magic voodoo...no PV model run by a super computer in my basement...just models and my own educated guess.

:lol:

Yes, you did say that.

Absolutely.

I hope Scott doesn't get the impression that I'm truing to undermine him in any way, but its just so difficult to pinpoint causation, that you can drive yourself bat$hit.

I wouldn't even go there unless you have the definitive causation figured yourself.

I thought I did the opposite. I saw so many saying "Judah FTW" when that happened 5 weeks ago. Instead, my response was for people to sit down and actually see how this happened. I saw too many people quick to rush to the conclusion of his theory. This doesn't mean the theory is false. These things happen often in winter even if Siberia was bare ground. People need to see how things work in the atmosphere. February is well removed from October. The displacement process we are seeing is likely due to near term reasons. Just to Clarify, it's more of a push away from the North Pole. This things isn't going into the Mediterranean or anything.

Agreed.

As far as Cohen goes, but you still have to credit those who called for blocking in general.

Say what you will, but I think what is about to happen is related to Cohen's work....possibly even indirectly, who knows...

My understanding of blocking was -NAO. That's usually what people mean. That still is up in the air.

His theory iirc (I don't have a PC in front of me at the moment) was for the -AO process to start because of strat warming late December into January. We are a month later and with a possible -AO for a time (we have yet to know if it even persists) from tropospheric and perhaps stratospheric response. Eh.

I thought I did the opposite. I saw so many saying "Judah FTW" when that happened 5 weeks ago. Instead, my response was for people to sit down and actually see how this happened. I saw too many people quick to rush to the conclusion of his theory. This doesn't mean the theory is false. These things happen often in winter even if Siberia was bare ground. People need to see how things work in the atmosphere. February is well removed from October. The displacement process we are seeing is likely due to near term reasons. Just to Clarify, it's more of a push away from the North Pole. This things isn't going into the Mediterranean or anything.

You did in relation to the January episode, and I buy that that had nothing to do with the stratosphere.

No argument.

However I do not think that it is a coincidence that we are now seeing the warming....there is some sort of connection imo.

My understanding of blocking was -NAO. That's usually what people mean. That still is up in the air.

His theory iirc (I don't have a PC in front of me at the moment) was for the -AO process to start because of strat warming late December into January. We are a month later and with a possible -AO for a time (we have yet to know if it even persists) from tropospheric and perhaps stratospheric response. Eh.

Well, I do not view blocking as exclusively in the NAO region....but I do still expect to see some NAO blocking....not 2010, but some.

Wasn't the January -AO of the precursor variety?

You did in relation to the January episode, and I buy that that had nothing to do with the stratosphere.

No argument.

However I do not think that it is a coincidence that we are now seeing the warming....there is some sort of connection imo.

Well, I do not view blocking as exclusively in the NAO region....but I do still expect to see some NAO blocking....not 2010, but some.

Wasn't the January -AO of the precursor variety?

I don't argue that there isn't. But, given what I see, this pattern would happen regardless of snowpack. The pattern now is certainly conducive for disturbing, and you can even use MJO as it moves east from the IO as a natural way to do so. So to me, to claim this was all Judah FTW, is misleading. But, there is never a way to quantify how much of the theory, is responsible.

obviously judging by the last 4/5 years snow stats here in SNE the transient blocks,Positive PNA,negative EPO are pretty efficient. I was forever on the NAO train but we have found an efficient process lol. If Feb March comes in big again with NAO I am good with cold AMO

So funny because you could reverse that and say, judging by the last 4 years of snow stats here in NNE, this is not that efficient of a process for deep snowstorms.

Congrats Ginx

Todd Crawford ‏@tcrawf_nh  23m

Todd Crawford Retweeted NWS Boston

Top 1-2 warm Nov-Jan across southern New England

Todd Crawford added,

CZ4hnQjUcAAa6Vw.jpg
NWS Boston @NWSBoston
Speaking of mild, nearly #1 all-time at all 4 of our climate sites for warmest avg temp over last 3 months
0 retweets1 like

What?

I'm happy for storm threats and opportunities. Beats the last 60 days for sure. Just don;t want rainers while State College to BTV get crushed.

You may get mixers. That is not a pattern of rainers. It does show the potential for big snow and mixed events.

Because he typed average in italics.

Anyway..that's not a snowy pattern for SNE..That would favor you..so I guess your time is here

lol wow

Yeah...italics meaning for a 5 day mean out to d15 look at how strong those features are. There's nothing "washed out" or transient there.

lol wow

Yeah...italics meaning for a 5 day mean out to d15 look at how strong those features are. There's nothing "washed out" or transient there.

He should take a break from this thread....when you start analyzing the font someone posts vs the longwave pattern to determine the storm chances, you know you have gone on full tilt.

Probably better suited for the banter thread.

That's a very good pattern with a really amped poleward ridge.

Archived