1. 1. Should the NYC subforum merge with:

• Philly Subforum
    • Upstate NY Subforum
    • Both subforums
    • Neither subforum

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of our subforums take up large sections of the country. Take a look.

If there was a huge collection of AmWx members in Austin/San Antonio TX, I'd suggest creating that separate forum from other parts of TX, since the weather here can be much different than Houston, Dallas, El Paso, etc. There are also hazards that we're more likely to have, such as flash floods, because of our topography, and severe tornadoes are somewhat less likely here than Dallas and north from there. But I'm one of maybe 2 or 3 members from this region (one of which, Jebman, I think went back to DC), so we're combined into bigger groups. There are small groups of Denver area, California, upper Plains, etc posters, but not enough for different subforums. An Austin/San Antonio TX subforum would be pretty dead, and I don't think one area pro meteorologist comes from here. 

NYC, Boston, Philly, and DC can all have wildly different patterns though and each region has much larger groups of members and pros who contribute to analyses of those regions. Also, the ridiculous bickering and regionalism makes moderating a combined forum a huge pain in the winter months. I guess the counter argument would be that people who aren't grownups shouldn't post, which I'm more than fine with too. 

Philly and NYC merger makes the most sense.  I was not a big fan of the subforums to begin with, so in that sense I get the idea of a northeast forum that includes New England, but at the moment I see the merit of keeping climo in mind and with that the merger of PHL-NYC is the most sensible, particularly since many (i.e., the NJ contingent) are literally in the middle of both forums.  

Id say most of the Philadelphia forum reads NYC and Mid Atlantic, so combining both NYC and Philadelphia forum would work.

It would be nice but you have many Philly lurkers who think it's too confusing and dudes with 100 posts in 4 years threatening to leave. The NYC subforum is way more open to it than the Philly subforum is. It is what it is. They like a quiet subforum. A merger is not imminent.

Archived