Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

You hated that storm? Check this out.

I hadn't had a big storm at home in the Hudson valley in years. I'm so pumped for that storm I saved the weenie snow map for posterity. Attached hereto from 1/25. I'm dead in the middle of the bullseye of 30"+. Not only that, but I'm good to 20" for 100 miles at least. And I'm a day out. So I'm getting ready, bring loads of wood into the house, Home Depot run, batteries, etc. I'm so psyched. What do I get?, 2 freakin inches, and the pleasure of seeing and hearing obout the spectacle in Sne over and over.

That storm was a punch to the gut I'll never forget. It was like seeing your favorite team on the cusp of a championship, blow the game in ungodly fashion.

Ok, you win.  That's pretty brutal.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.64” L.E.

There was an additional tenth of an inch of snow overnight – the BTV NWS discussion mentioned that there might have been a bit of assistance from Lake Champlain for the western slopes:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

636 PM EST SUN DEC 27 2015

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...

SECONDARY BAND OF SNOW SHOWERS ASSOCIATED WITH 850-700 FRONTOGENESIS TIED TO SOUTHWARD PUSH OF COLDER AIR EXTENDED ACROSS THE NORTHERN GREENS, NORTHERN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY INTO THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS. EXPECT A DUSTING OF SNOW TO ACCOMPANY THIS BAND OF SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH MIDNIGHT IN LOWER ELEVATIONS, UP TO AN INCH AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS. POPS GENERALLY DECREASE INTO THE OVERNIGHT, THOUGH I`VE MAINTAINED ISO/SCT SNOW SHOWERS PARTICULARLY IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY/WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREENS OWING TO MOISTURE FROM LAKE CHAMPLAIN.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 19.8 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: Trace

I hadn't had a big storm at home in the Hudson valley in years. I'm so pumped for that storm I saved the weenie snow map for posterity. Attached hereto from 1/25. I'm dead in the middle of the bullseye of 30"+. Not only that, but I'm good to 20" for 100 miles at least. And I'm a day out. So I'm getting ready, bring loads of wood into the house, Home Depot run, batteries, etc. I'm so psyched. What do I get?, 2 freakin inches, and the pleasure of seeing and hearing obout the spectacle in Sne over and over.

That storm was a punch to the gut I'll never forget. It was like seeing your favorite team on the cusp of a championship, blow the game in ungodly fashion.

That beats my experience with that event.  We were visiting family in SNJ, where the forecast was 12-16" - would be the biggest storm my grandkids had ever seen.  Verified at 1.5".  (One of 4 events that winter that verified at 1/8 of the low end of forecast snowfall.)  We got home in the dark about 12 hr after the end of the storm and had to wade thru knee-deep sugar-snow to reach the porch, and it took 3 hr instead of the usual 1 to snowblow the driveway due to the sheer mass of the stuff.  Biggest/best January snowstorm ever to hit my then-residence (memories back into the early 1950s) and I was out of town.  At least we had a decent snowpack.

3.61" inches of rain in DEC so far.

2.9" inches of snow.  I don't like that distribution :) Even if just half of that fell as snow it would have been a decent month. 

4.77" precip and 1.2" of snow here.  Don't like being upside down like that during a met winter month, but much less anomalous than Jan 2014 when we almost accomplished that with well BN temps.

Yea, a real gut punch for our neck of the woods.

That beats my experience with that event.  We were visiting family in SNJ, where the forecast was 12-16" - would be the biggest storm my grandkids had ever seen.  Verified at 1.5".  (One of 4 events that winter that verified at 1/8 of the low end of forecast snowfall.)  We got home in the dark about 12 hr after the end of the storm and had to wade thru knee-deep sugar-snow to reach the porch, and it took 3 hr instead of the usual 1 to snowblow the driveway due to the sheer mass of the stuff.  Biggest/best January snowstorm ever to hit my then-residence (memories back into the early 1950s) and I was out of town.  At least we had a decent snowpack.

3.61" inches of rain in DEC so far.

2.9" inches of snow.  I don't like that distribution :) Even if just half of that fell as snow it would have been a decent month. 

4.77" precip and 1.2" of snow here.  Don't like being upside down like that during a met winter month, but much less anomalous than Jan 2014 when we almost accomplished that with well BN temps.

Haha yup...the fateful January 2014, probably NNE's most frustrating month from the fact that it actually was cold and still managed to rain so much, while south of us was getting snow events during the cold air intrusions. 

Below I’ve got the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for our most recent storm:

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 1”

Mad River Glen: T”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

The snowfall amounts decreased from north to south as is often the case, but there didn’t appear to be any accumulation of note south of the Mad River Valley area.

3.61" inches of rain in DEC so far.  2.9" inches of snow.

I just checked the numbers for my site and December through this point stands at:

3.3” Snow/4.35” L.E.

So the liquid side is still winning out.  That snow total through this point in the month is kind of silly for this area actually, and based on how it was the first time in 100+ years with no snow at the stake on Christmas, probably an extremely anomalous event.  If the forecasts are correct this next storm could tip the balance in favor of frozen inches.

Looks like after tonight/tomorrow, there's a good chance for some nickel/dime events through next weekend at the higher elevations. Should be a good, albeit late in coming, start to the year.

Yea, GFS showing that between upslope, LES streamers and that  clipper next weekend there will be some chances at a little snow up and down VT

Looks like after tonight/tomorrow, there's a good chance for some nickel/dime events through next weekend at the higher elevations. Should be a good, albeit late in coming, start to the year.

Yeah decent nickel and dime set up later this week with the cold air and some lake bands.  Very similar probably to the last event with snow squalls and snow showers bringing 1-4" to VT in general.

Looks more wintery today... 24 hour time difference:

5666_10102407681069700_28494538102551309

I just checked the numbers for my site and December through this point stands at:

3.3” Snow/4.35” L.E.

So the liquid side is still winning out.  That snow total through this point in the month is kind of silly for this area actually, and based on how it was the first time in 100+ years with no snow at the stake on Christmas, probably an extremely anomalous event.  If the forecasts are correct this next storm could tip the balance in favor of frozen inches.

Yeah our seasonal snow totals at this point are probably in the lowest possible percentile you could get for this climate area, haha.  It really couldn't get any lower probably from a percentage standpoint. 

I will say I do like what the 12z models are showing for getting good strong lift in here prior to warming aloft.  A couple days ago the best push of moisture and lift looked to be south of here, but pretty much every model I've seen at 12z has it punching through CNE/NNE.  I think we're going to snow hard for a time early tomorrow morning.

I will say I do like what the 12z models are showing for getting good strong lift in here prior to warming aloft.  A couple days ago the best push of moisture and lift looked to be south of here, but pretty much every model I've seen at 12z has it punching through CNE/NNE.  I think we're going to snow hard for a time early tomorrow morning.

I would agree with that. Should make for some nice low vis shots.

Yeah our seasonal snow totals at this point are probably in the lowest possible percentile you could get for this climate area, haha.  It really couldn't get any lower probably from a percentage standpoint.

I just checked my numbers.  Mean snowfall through this point of December is roughly four feet down here in the valley, so current snowfall is at 15% of average.  Using my data we’re over two standard deviations below the mean and running in roughly the bottom 2% of seasons.  Hopefully this is indeed a one in 50 to 100-year occurrence as the numbers would suggest.  Today could be the nadir of the season with respect to snowfall though, so it’s probably a good time to use the numbers for documentation.

I headed into Williston this afternoon, and in terms of snow coverage, I’d say it’s pretty consistent from here on westward – presumably they picked up accumulations from the activity yesterday evening.

I also checked on the Bolton Valley Web Cam to see how things looked up there, and between the recent natural and snowmaking it was looking quite white.  Watching the video live you can see that they’re clearly blasting the guns now that temperatures are down:

28DEC15A.jpg

If this upcoming storm puts down some additional dense accumulation they should be able to support some skier traffic on their main routes.

This afternoon's Euro gives BTV 7 inches in this next event and Stowe 10 or so. Obviously that is a model run verbatim and not the forecast.

I saw 7" for Stowe on the WxBell maps, but I still think that's high. If I was a betting man I'd say 4-5" then sleet (which could maybe add another inch or so out of 0.25" QPF).

I saw 7" for Stowe on the WxBell maps, but I still think that's high. If I was a betting man I'd say 4-5" then sleet (which could maybe add another inch or so out of 0.25" QPF).

Yeah I think we may top out at 4" before a mixed bag here so I agree with you. I am not a fan of front enders, but I will take what I can get at this point LOL. By the way they upgraded part of VT to a warning, including for Stowe.

Yea, this feels like a 3-5" type event for pure snow. The amount of warm air at mid levels streaming in is not going to be ignored. Overall though it will make a a nice base and cover up a lot of problems. 

Well, can't complain that this afternoon's updated snowfall map shows a slight bump up as some of the models are showing.  Taking this map conservatively still shows a healthy, dense 6" at this point at elevation. At least it is trending in the right direction this late in the game. All in all, a lot more promise in the pattern going into January than a week ago.

StormTotalSnowFcstZoomNEK.png

BTV upgraded this area and points NE to a Winter Storm Warning.

1390579_10102407859292540_66951135943197

Tonight
Snow after midnight. Snow may be heavy at times after midnight. Snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches. Lows around 10 above. Light and variable winds...becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph after midnight. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
Tuesday
Snow or sleet in the morning...then sleet and freezing drizzle likely in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times in the morning. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Ice accumulation around a trace. Highs in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Archived