Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 20-21 Early Season Snowstorm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm total, as said, was 6.0" at DTW. I finished with 4.9", a heck of a rally considering the mornings slush was completely melted by about 1pm and we started "from scatch" when snow resumed around 3:30pm. As said by all..one of the most scenic snowfalls in years. Pretty neat way to start the season.

Not sure about those who did better further north, but one thing I notice is that since the snow didnt stick nearly as well to the sidewalk as the grass, when walking on the lawn its like "wow, its deeper than I thought".

Storm total snowfall amounts for first order sites in the region (through 11/21).

Chicago, IL (ORD) 11.2"

Cleveland, OH (CLE) 0.2"

Davenport, IA (DVN) 6.9"

Des Moines, IA (DSM) 6.9"

Detroit, MI (DTW) 6.0"

Dubuque, IA (DBQ) 11.7"

Flint, MI (FNT) 10.0"

Fort Wayne, IN (FWA) 4.1"

Grand Rapids, MI (GRR) 3.2"

Houghton Lake, MI (HTL) 1.5"

Indianapolis, IN (IND) 1.3"

La Crosse, WI (LSE) 0.7"

Lansing, MI (LAN) 8.2"

Madison, WI (MSN) 4.1"

Mason City, IA (MCW) 9.0"

Milwaukee, WI (MKE) 6.9"

Moline, IL (MLI) 9.9"

Muskegon, MI (MKG) 2.8"

Peoria, IL (PIA) 4.6"

Rochester, MN (RST) 1.3"

Rockford, IL (RFD) 8.8"

Romeoville, IL (LOT) 4.7"

Saginaw, MI (MBS) 3.0"

Sioux City, IA (SUX) 5.7"

South Bend, IN (SBN) 9.0"

Springfield, IL (SPI) 0.5"

Toledo, OH (TOL) 3.5"

Waterloo, IA (ALO) 12.7"

Storm total snowfall amounts for first order sites in the region (through 11/21).

Chicago, IL (ORD) 11.2"

Cleveland, OH (CLE) 0.2"

Davenport, IA (DVN) 6.9"

Detroit, MI (DTW) 6.0"

Dubuque, IA (DBQ) 11.7"

Flint, MI (FNT) 10.0"

La Crosse, WI (LSE) 0.7"

Lansing, MI (LAN) 8.2"

Madison, WI (MSN) 4.1"

Milwaukee, WI (MKE) 6.9"

Moline, IL (MLI) 9.9"

Muskegon, MI (MKG) 2.8"

Peoria, IL (PIA) 4.6"

Rochester, MN (RST) 1.3"

Rockford, IL (RFD) 8.8"

Saginaw, MI (MBS) 3.0"

Toledo, OH (TOL) 3.5"

Waterloo, IA (ALO) 12.7"

Thanks for putting this together as always!

Chicago, IL (ORD) 11.2"

Cleveland, OH (CLE) 0.2"

Davenport, IA (DVN) 6.9"

Detroit, MI (DTW) 6.0"

Dubuque, IA (DBQ) 11.7"

Flint, MI (FNT) 10.0"

La Crosse, WI (LSE) 0.7"

Lansing, MI (LAN) 8.2"

Madison, WI (MSN) 4.1"

Milwaukee, WI (MKE) 6.9"

Moline, IL (MLI) 9.9"

Muskegon, MI (MKG) 2.8"

Peoria, IL (PIA) 4.6"

Rochester, MN (RST) 1.3"

Rockford, IL (RFD) 8.8"

Saginaw, MI (MBS) 3.0"

Toledo, OH (TOL) 3.5"

Waterloo, IA (ALO) 12.7"

I know it doesn't mean much in terms of record keeping, but this is one storm in particular where the Chicago number is massively inflated. Most areas downtown saw under an inch. So for example, in a similar situation in the future, if downtown were to receive 6 inches even if O'Hare only saw 6 as well, it would shatter this storm and any records associated with downtown performance.

Howell is not a climate site, but I think Pontiac was at one time?

I know flint is.... was this the biggest November snow in Flint history?

Found this earlier on WHMI - 

"The National Weather Service said that the storm total of 15.5 inches reported at its White Lake Office, made this the largest snowstorm reported there since 1994 and the largest ever in November."

http://whmi.com/news/article/24166

Found this earlier on WHMI - 

"The National Weather Service said that the storm total of 15.5 inches reported at its White Lake Office, made this the largest snowstorm reported there since 1994 and the largest ever in November."

http://whmi.com/news/article/24166

Yup... probably a once in 20 year event. Probably a once in a 100 year November event. Can't really verify that, just a guess though.

OMG! This is like shoveling concrete! I think I was happier when I rented an apartment and never had to shovel the snow!

If it were a colder storm, I'll bet we would easily have 24" or more!

I bet 20 inches fell here, but we probably lost quite a bit to sublimation. 

My depth is around 14 inches right now, it's powder too. You could not make a snowman right now.

I know it doesn't mean much in terms of record keeping, but this is one storm in particular where the Chicago number is massively inflated. Most areas downtown saw under an inch. So for example, in a similar situation in the future, if downtown were to receive 6 inches even if O'Hare only saw 6 as well, it would shatter this storm and any records associated with downtown performance.

I get what you're saying in terms of record keeping.  It is what it is.

Officially, this is also the earliest 10" storm for Chicago, beating out the November 25-26, 1895 storm.  I'd say the climatological rarity of this storm might be comparable to getting a similar one in April, as there is only one official 10" storm on the books for Chicago -- April 1-2, 1970 (there's another that might qualify...looks to be the same weather system but stretched out over 4 days).  There are a couple other April storms that fell just short of 10".

I bet 20 inches fell here, but we probably lost quite a bit to sublimation. 

My depth is around 14 inches right now, it's powder too. You could not make a snowman right now.

The top half wasn't bad... light and fluffy, but the deeper you go the wetter and heavier it got. The breeze actually felt warm when I was out there. 

I spent a few hours at the park late this morning. Ive seen hundreds of snowstorms in my life but I cannot recall a more beautiful scene. This is the kind of "winter wonderland" you can go years without seeing, no matter how much snow you actually get. I actually think that we had an even better tree-pasting down here than those areas much harder hit. Took 130 of pics LOL, have to sort through them and pick the best ones. It was a photographers dream lol.

I get what you're saying in terms of record keeping.  It is what it is.

Officially, this is also the earliest 10" storm for Chicago, beating out the November 25-26, 1895 storm.  I'd say the climatological rarity of this storm might be comparable to getting a similar one in April, as there is only one official 10" storm on the books for Chicago -- April 1-2, 1970 (there's another that might qualify...looks to be the same weather system but stretched out over 4 days).  There are a couple other April storms that fell just short of 10".

The Chicago gradient with this storm was crazy, but at the same time, its all about where the official records were kept. ORD is ORD, not downtown Chicago. I sent my brother LOTs snowfall graphic (hes on the lake and said he had like a half inch) and he cant believe it. I cant tell you how many storms some in the northern burbs here will say the got over a foot when DTW came in at like 10" or something, so it was finally a case of perfect luck when the jackpot band of 16-18" oriented itself RIGHT over DTW on Feb 1/2. Many of those same people in the northern burbs, while considering Feb 1/2 a huge storm, wouldnt even call it the best this decade, let alone the best in 40 years, but thats what Detroits official records show.

The Chicago gradient with this storm was crazy, but at the same time, its all about where the official records were kept. ORD is ORD, not downtown Chicago. I sent my brother LOTs snowfall graphic (hes on the lake and said he had like a half inch) and he cant believe it. I cant tell you how many storms some in the northern burbs here will say the got over a foot when DTW came in at like 10" or something, so it was finally a case of perfect luck when the jackpot band of 16-18" oriented itself RIGHT over DTW on Feb 1/2. Many of those same people in the northern burbs, while considering Feb 1/2 a huge storm, wouldnt even call it the best this decade, let alone the best in 40 years, but thats what Detroits official records show.

Even the MDW COOP observer had 5.8", though given the shape of the lake, I'm not sure how many miles closer that is to the lake than ORD. 

Archived